Passing Through

Passing Through

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

Inspired by a poet who left a response on a poem of mine, telling me he had never been in love. He wasn't young either.

"
how starved are those who pass on by
who hold no favour for romance
who do not crave another's love
reserved, reticent they may be
who do not comprehend that they
have lost life's purpose on the way
they may have travelled here in time
but oh what moments they have missed
a door locked shut a key won't turn
they came they saw they never lived

© 2021 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

That is sad and I can’t imagine. I am a loner by nature but not so much I wouldn’t want love. Although now if I was alone again I wouldn’t seek it. I have my soulmate so that’s it if he goes before me. This is an excellent piece

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Dear Patricia, so sorry I am late with my response. Thank you for your lovely review and apologies f.. read more



Reviews

Very nice. I can't offer anything else for my writing career has been quite brief. I liked it though.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

You are very welcome. Thank you for your comment.

Chris
This does cut right through the miriad of reasons why career paths often conflict with the path to true happiness found in deeply loving another. One can also relate it to the stats of why very few widows remarry and why so many widowers do. A heartfelt expression and a sad truth. Well done!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Watercress for your visit and interesting response. An observation I hadn't considered.read more
To not know what a blessing kind and real love can be even if it is only is passing. But I am a romantic at heart so I believe in the power of love

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Most people do. I was intrigued by what this poet said. Thanks PB for a second review today. Appreci.. read more
Poetic Beauty

2 Years Ago

You are most welcome
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Tis beautifully written Christine.
The only drawback to love is the deeper it felt the more intense the pain when it is lost, either by a death of parting of ways.
Hope all is well in Berks :))

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Hello Gee, I agree. The deeper you love the deeper you grieve. So true. Thanks so much for checking .. read more
One doesn't need love; love...breaks, tears you apart, and makes you weak. No matter what the situation is, one day they leave if they don't abandon you, they pass on to another life. Nevertheless, your poem is beautiful. I love reading what you write.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

The price you pay for love is grief. How I agree with you, but I could not love because of the fear .. read more
Christine - I'm too much of a "romantic" to imagine a person who has managed to go through life without experiencing love. Whether to receive it or give it, what kind of life must they have lived? Can it be honestly be called living, perhaps existing is a better description. I hope that you life is filled with love.
Take care - Dave

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

It is quite strange to contemplate isn't it Dave? That's why it generated a poem. I just thought, oh.. read more
Dave

2 Years Ago

So true!
Take care - Dave
So many ways people can be. Some have struggled through difficult road and thus may be devoid of such things
Nice write.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you JP. I am thankful for your thoughts. Pleased for your visit.

Chris
“never been in love”
I say my thoughts presumptively, holding onto certain phrases within the poem!

This poem portrays a sense of loss. This persons’ response to never being in love, to me, implies a constant longing for the love he never experienced. After all, some, long for the things they've never had.
Your poem portrays the person as renouncing every aspect of love time and again, even where (there might've been instances) or a potential for it to develop. This poem implies that the person has lived a life without love, which you seem to express as a sense of loss, a discontentedness with experiencing life, in particular with loved ones.
To me the power in your words imply that, by not having accomplished having or experiencing love means to live in silos, and, in silos shall they (eventually) die, 'starved' without any comfort of true intimacy. In saying this, one could also imply that 'starving' yourself of love, reflects the person's inability to show love to other people, as the poem expresses that this person has no sense of intimate propensities, or having any desire to create any.

In my mind, I wonder if those types of people consider 'love' as giving them their 'purpose' within life. Obviously, everyone is different! Love is and has always been and will forever be subjective. In this case, objectively speaking, maybe he never really gave it a chance for fear of its emotional consequences who knows?!

Moving on, as this has become way too long already!
In this instance, does 'losing life's purpose' connote not having had any 'love' given to that person to begin with, or did this person unlearn and disallow any semblance of love? I suppose (and this is my view) that in life, you can learn, unlearn and dismiss many a thing, particularly, emotions that you perceive aren't 'purposeful' within your life. Finding meaning and purpose in loving, is subjective, as some don't love loving. I say this as to you in your poem, you have represented this person as 'not comprehend[ing] that they have lost life's purpose on the way...', which is a powerful statement, in whatever way you decide to view it.

Apologies for blabbering on, (and hope this makes as much sense to you as it did whilst thinking about it in my head and writing it down, Haha!), also forgive the gramma, not my strong suit. This is my view on your poetry, and I sincerely thank you for taking the time to read mine, Christine.

Best Wishes,
Nocturnal Fantasy.


Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Hello Nocturnal Fantasy thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, delighted to receive them. Almo.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

976 Views
44 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 5, 2021
Last Updated on May 5, 2021

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..