Albatrosses and Heavyweights

Albatrosses and Heavyweights

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

(don't tell me you've never had any)

"
can you forgive
your own failures
and own those albatrosses
that hang round your neck
as a reminder of past  cringes?

can you look them
straight in the eye
without a trace of hesitation
without hiding behind
that furrowed brow
sending tramlines across
your forehead?

instead of running
in the opposite direction
can you remain rooted
can you accept responsibility
for the part you played?

can you embrace your faults
with arms open wide
casting aside all delays
square up to them 
shoulder to shoulder
stand tall?

instead of condemning others
old friends, lovers, family
anyone at all
for the small part they may
have played
can you willingly say

it's a new day
this is the way forward
hands on heart
a fresh beginning

accept you could have 
fared better, expose yourself
unclothe yourself to the eyes 
of others and ask for their
understanding

WELL CAN YOU?

© 2021 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Nope. Just kidding. Maybe? I'm so strong at certain times, especially in stressful moments, some say, but there is definitely a coward hiding underneath this skin on certain things. Good in an emergency, awful in a tangible emotional situation. I'm sure we all have flaws, but I've done my share of running. I like how you phrase this work as almost a challenge. One would say it could be a poem to self, more like a poem to us all. I think I will have to ponder your question. Phenomenal intensity.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

You are too kind. We all have our flaws. I am well aware of mine. Thanks CD.

Chris



Reviews

No dear Chris. Something must lay dead and forgotten.
accept you could have
fared better, expose yourself
unclothe yourself to the eyes
of others and ask for their
understanding
WELL CAN YOU?"
Many things men and women leave behind. War, death and deadly mistakes. Maybe we can seek forgiveness but some stories shouldn't be remembered. Hello dear friend and I enjoyed this poem. Made my old mind work this morning.
Coyote


Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Dear Coyote, I smiled when you said I gave your mind a work out. Now go take a well earned rest:) Th.. read more
Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

Good to get a mind work-out dear Chris and you are welcome.
When we blame others for our mistakes it makes a stink on the soul that causes other to stay far away so they won't puke.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Dale for your thoughts and for checking in.

Chris
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
This poem reminds me of a spiritual saying that ' you are the sole decider of everything... You can see a glass half full instead of half empty'. Saying this we have to admit and acknowledge our fault, only then we can progress further. Only throwing balls to others court can not solve the problem.... It's a nice reminder... Thank you for sharing this

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Sima for sharing your thoughts. Your visits always valued dear poet.

Chris
I think this is relatable to the majority of readers. Makes you think about all the burdens we carry every day weighing us into an early grave. Great write.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your thoughts. All good wishes.

Chris
So, so many. Life would be so much easier if we could forget, easily forget all the hurts we've given to others. Taking responsibility can be very difficult. It's so easy to place blame on others, whether they deserve it or not. Not often, but often enough, I'm reminded of the pain I've given to others, even to those I love. I'm glad to say that those reminders are never pleasant.
Take care - Dave

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Many thanks for the share Dave. Your thoughts always appreciated.

Chris
Unless sainthood cloned, most people have quirks and failures.. tis human nature. In fact, tis accepted by people who know 'Stuff' that having faults and acknowledging them shows reasonable sanity! Elsewise is a sign of self-denial and extreme self indulgence!" This really is an enlightening piece of writing. Happy to say, I have so many failings, I make others feel almost saintly! Plus, thank the Lord - have sinners for friends and family who think the albatross is a magnificent creature!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Absolutely right Em most have faults and failures. I don't think there are many saints if any left. .. read more
emmajoy

2 Years Ago

You're welcome, thanks, Chris.
I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility and owning both errors and accuracies with equal honesty. After all, if we do not admit our mistakes how can we ever hope to improve? But I also strive not to make errors. This is why proofreading and research are so important to me in writing. If someone points out an error I think they should be thanked for their honesty and applauded for their observational skills. This is why writers employ editors. But it isn't only in writing that these precepts should be followed. They extend to my personal philosophy governing my life. But I never "cringe" at my mistakes or cower from them. What purpose could that possibly serve? In my opinion we should strive to improve every day and accomplish as much through our work as we can, both as writers and as individuals. I have often made mistakes in parenting or dealt out an unfair judgement to my children. When my mistake was discovered though, I immediately called the child to me and apologized explaining my actions and why my actions were mistaken. I should hope that my children can learn from this application of honesty that none of us are perfect but that we should confess our faults and then move to correct them as quickly as possible. There's nothing worse than hiding a flaw once it is uncovered without taking responsibility and actions to correct it because if we don't, the mistakes will grow exponentially out of proportion with every effort to conceal them. This was quite the thought provoking piece and one that I could not help but to remark upon. Thank you for the read!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Fabian, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. So pleased that it got you thinking. You certainly r.. read more
NEVER! lol, jk. One of THE hardest things for a person to do is to admit and ask for forgiveness, especially when they believe they are not at fault.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Corset, thanks for stopping by and making me smile. Good to see you. It's been a while.

read more
Corset

2 Years Ago

life and building blocks keep getting in the way, it is nice to "see" you too!!
I needed to hear this. Such a lovely remainder.
Well, thank you Chris for this beautiful poem.

Regards,
S

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Saga for your thoughtful comment. You are appreciated.

Chris
it's not an easy thing, Chris ...but ... i will try. ;} .... taking an honest "look" is perhaps the hardest thing to do .. we suffer shame, guilt, false pride ... we can be terrified; unable to stand tall believing we have done something so unthinkable .. we simply can not face it ... but as your poem enlightens .. we must .. own it .. seek the forgiveness we need .. from ourselves, others and our Great Creator .. He made us for far more than we can ever imagine for ourselves eh!? beautiful and inspiring read for me .. the title doesn't roll off the tongue easily does it?! .. my impression was of graceful flight and some of the greatest heavyweight fighters of my generation ... so your metaphor surprised me ... really appreciate the depth of this one, Chris .. "...past cringes.." and "...tramlines across your forehead" ... and use of free rhyming here and there made this a very worthwhile read for me ma'am.
E.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Dear Mr E, thank you so much for giving this poem your consideration. Each one of us is responsible .. read more
Einstein Noodle

2 Years Ago

your a corker darlin' :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

821 Views
40 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 20, 2021
Last Updated on July 20, 2021

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee