Respectfully

Respectfully

A Poem by Chris Shaw

pockets of baby blue peep through
billowing puff ball cloud

while slow moving river shows flotillas
of leaf-fall in serene flow

like boats afloat an armada of many
willow oak and beech leaves drift

golden in unhurried procession in
downstream direction to our capital

in silent solemnity in memory of
our late Queen peacefully lying in state


© 2022 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It is fascinating to see people's reactions to the passing of their queen. It just shows, among many other things, the power of symbols. The queen was a human being like anyone else, of course, but she was also the embodiment of a number of values, ideas, and virtues which made her a living symbol. It seems that people have an inherent need for such symbols - be that in real life, or in fiction.

Posted 1 Year Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you Laz. The Queen's passing certainly had a much greater effect world wide than I had ever an.. read more



Reviews

Beautiful Chris very moving ✨️✨️✨️✨️✨️

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Many thanks Tony. All the best.

Chris
It is almost fitting that her passing fitted the autumnal sobriety and reflection of the nation.
They say you can't fool all people all of the time, but she did come close, as we all thought she'd be around forever.
The queues for her lying in state show how dearly held in heart and mind she was.
OUR stamps and money will never look the same again either.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

That's a lovely review Lorry. I have to say it was also fitting she passed at Balmoral, a place she .. read more
I have long been moved by the story of King George VI refusing to leave London during the blitz and sharing the sufferings of his people. Queen Elizabeth was part of that tradition, performing war service on her own. This brief, beautiful nature poem is a fitting tribute to her. My condolences to the British people on her passing.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you John for your touching review. Most appreciated.

Chris
What a lovely tribute to a remarkable life well-lived.

Winston

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you so much Winston for visiting this little tribute. You are appreciated.

Chri.. read more
My sincere condolences to you and your wonderful nation. I know she meant a lot to millions. May she rest in peace. The nation is transitioning to a different future. I hope all is well. This poem is full of great tributes to her and imagery.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you Sami for your touching review. Pleased you stopped by.

Chris
Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

My pleasure. You are welcome Poetry Consort Chris.

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

434 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 17, 2022
Last Updated on September 17, 2022

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..