Games are made for the young and memories are made for the old

Games are made for the young and memories are made for the old

A Chapter by Toasty (Erin)

I take the S.S to the Rec. Centre in the main square of the city, not many Beef’s travel there but I know Kat is a slight risk taker or at least a twin of Kat was.

I’ve known her since First School. Before B.E.F.A, before Kat was an outcast, before greed, back when The Higher Power (Before known as The Assemble of New Toronto) was nice and there wasn’t sectors.

We were climbing the monkey bars and everyone was afraid of slipping and falling onto the sand below. A girl named Nora with the same brown hair and blue eyes as Kat said ‘Stop being such a bunch of babies, it won’t kill you.’

She in her blue dress got up on those bars (With some help by Misha who got a good look up her dress) and climbed them with ease to the other side. Everyone was impressed, even me. She got down and said loudly ‘If I can do it, so can you!’

I could see her brother looking with a smile on his lips, he was proud of his sister.

She left the play ground and I never looked at her the same again. Two years later, she was gone and to replace her was a girl named Kat with the same look as an older version of Nora and as much bravery.

I guess that’s why I fell for Kat, the light of Nora and new light.

In our first year of Second School she stood up to the Health teacher about the dangers of homosexuality.

‘Being a Homosexual is a curse and a plague to humanity.’ He said with loud confidence in his booming voice.

I could see her fists balling up and she stood up in her red and black outfit.

‘How it is sir, you are born that way, it is in your genes like blue eyes or black hair or freckles.’ She hissed.

‘You cannot produce children to sustained a next generation.’ He defended.

‘There is something called adoption sir. Like children on the outside, I think they deserve a chance at the good life, like ours.’ She remarked.

‘Oh really, letting those freaks in. Why are you even here you don‘t belong here Beef, You disgust me.’ He snapped stepping closer

I could see her fists ball up, she was going to punch him. I quickly grab her wrist before she could punch that man.

She sat back down and grumbled some things, I still held her wrist till after class.

 

“Next stop Rec.” The announcer calls.

I get off and travel to the centre. When I get inside it’s loud but a good loud. Music and cheers of winners fill the air. I shuffle to the back where Misha, Jared, Gill and hopefully Connor are. Before I find them I see a flash of blue strike my vision and I see Kat sitting on the chairs in the corner, she is alone.

I quickly make it over to her, it’s loud and busy, no one will notice.

“Hey.” I smile.

She looks up “I still think this is a dumb idea.”

“Could be worse.” I say.

“So what do you want?” She asks.

“Hang out with me.” I say.

“Aren’t you here with you dumb friends?” She asks.

“Yea but I could say that as a mission to get along better with B.E.F.A I get to spend time with you.” I wink.

“What kind of idiot would believe that?”

“My friends are quite convincing.” I snicker sitting on the chair beside hers.

She sighs and rests her crown to the purple wall behind her “If you f**k this up, I will hurt you, not B.E.F.A, me. It took almost an hour to convince my brother, he has probably sent out spies to make sure I got here alive.”

“Don’t worry.” I smirk “It’s pretty dark and really loud.” I say in her ear.

She swats my face away with her hand.

“Have you ever thought of being happy?” She asks looking at me.

“Yea, but I know in the state I’m in I won’t find it.” I admit.

“If you were integrated by my group which most likely not happen and they choose me to do that, we would get it out of you in lickity split .” She laughs.

“Well. What about?” I ask with an arched eyebrow.

“No. I’m the next leader of B.E.F.A I got no time for happiness.” She sighs.

“I know how you feel.”

“Life is life.” She sighs again “I shouldn’t be telling you anything.”

“You asked first.” I say getting up.

I outstretch my arm to help her but she gets up without even noticing my hand and walks a few feet in front of me.

“So you are coming with me to see my friends?” I ask looking at her.

She turns on her heel and looks at me “Yes, not because the reasons you may think. I’ve only been here once during the day so I’m going to be honest with you. I’m lost.” She replies slapping her palms against her jeans in defeat.

I walk over to her and grip her wrist “I’ve been more than anyone I know. The loud noises help me clean my head and distract me from the problems of the world.”

“That’s nice to know.” She grips my wrist with her other hand “Please let go. I will follow you, like some kind of stupid sheep you want me to be.” She hisses at the end.

I slowly let go, she is defensive, she knows the music isn’t loud enough, she knows that we are at the heart of the city not only will B.E.F.A spies be there but all spies from The Higher Power, both known as Watchers.

I look over to my left and I see a beefy man who is shorter than me wearing red and black with a large area of his shirt patched up with blue material. I bite my lip and Kat looks that way and sees him as well.

She looks back at me “Well I guess you just figured out who Steelo is.”

“That guy?” I ask.

“Yea, he is my brother’s best friend. Let me talk to him.” She nods.

She walks away towards him. She talks to him quickly and quietly. He grabs her shoulder, my heart races. She talks again and he nods. He lets go of her shoulder and leaves the area. She quickly walks back and looks at me.

“I just saved your a*s from your uncle, we‘re even.” She pushes me a little.

I stop myself from falling and smile.

“Then let’s go.” I smile.

I walk towards her then lead her to the table where the guys are. When we get there, they are gone, I look at the old watch on my wrist 8:47pm.

“They left.” She peers over looking at the watch.

“Sadly yes, what time do you need to be home by?” I ask.

Her eyes meet mine “Anytime before two, now that Steelo is gone.”

Someone bumps into her and she ends up too close for comfort. Her hands are on my chest and she’s looking up at me.

I scan the room, no one notices.

She pats my chest and backs up, I quickly wrap my arms around her.

“No one is watching. No spies are here, they don’t know you’re here.” I whisper.

“You make it seem like I like you.” She mumbles.

“You aren’t trying to kill me yet.” I snicker.

She looks up at me “I think you adorable and all but if you and I were ever together another war would break out.”

She thinks I am adorable.

“Want to get out of here?” I ask.

“I guess so.” She shrugs.

I let go of her and lead her out the back door way. When we exit, hopefully no one notices us hugging or us leaving alone.

Once we are outside I let Kat go and she backs up a little.

She inhales then exhales.

“What the f**k was that all about?” She asks crossing her arms.

She is more surprised than angry.

My emotions got a hold of me and caused me to do things that I would never do anywhere else, was it the sense of safety or the sudden urge to break the rules that my uncle has set in place.

“Well Future President A*****e?” She asks.

She is now back to the person who hates me instead of the girl who called me adorable.

“My teenage emotional surge.” I blurt out “What about you, you called me adorable.”

She looks to the side quickly and sighs.

“Because it’s true but unlike you, I know the risks.” She whispers “My brother doesn’t care if I hang around you, he would be delighted if you joined B.E.F.A but I’m staying away to protect you. You deserve a painless life.” She takes a few steps back.

“What about that Steelo guy?” I ask stepping forward.

“He was there to make sure I got there alive.” She replies.

“What did you mean by I just saved your a*s from your uncle?” I ask.

I want her to stay but the seconds are ticking by.

“Steelo left to make sure no government spies were here. B.E.F.A would love if you joined us but we would f*****g screwed, big time.” She explains.

B.E.F.A wants me in their group, the group that wants the end of my uncles rein wants me to be one of them.

I step closer to her till I am in front of her. I lean down a little and whisper in her ear.

“I always wanted to be one of you.” I whisper.

Her eyes grow wide.

“Really?” She mouths.

I nod in agreement.

“I can get you a forum I guess-” She starts in a quiet voice.

“No. Don’t do that. They’ll kill my family for betrayal.” I respond quickly butting in.

“Oh, so you’re on the fence. Between your family and your beliefs?” She asks.

I nod in agreement.

“Follow your heart and when you’re eighteen you are your own family. You can join.” She whispers in my ear.

“I know. That’s my plan.” I smile.

“We will accept you.” She assures “I think I should go now. I will see you tomorrow I guess and I will have the forms just in case you change your mind.” She adds.

“Ok.” I say quickly.

All good moments must come to an end.

She hugs me in a friendly way then leaves. Climbs the high fence chain link fence that ends the alley way then runs away.

I turn around and out the alley way and to the S.S station.

I feel light, as if a huge lump has been lifted off my body but my stomach still twists in pain for some reason.



© 2012 Toasty (Erin)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it (Y)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
1 Review
Added on December 24, 2011
Last Updated on March 20, 2012
Tags: Rebel, Fiction, Fight, story


Author

Toasty (Erin)
Toasty (Erin)

Canada



About
I am a young writer who spends too much tim with books and notebooks. I love to read and write, I can write a short story in uncer a day and I can finish off a book in under 24 hours if I stayed up lo.. more..

Writing
Broken Broken

A Poem by Toasty (Erin)


Prolouge Prolouge

A Chapter by Toasty (Erin)