Oregon Coast Bicycle Ride - Day 3

Oregon Coast Bicycle Ride - Day 3

A Story by Chris Bighorse

November 5, 2012

                The day started out dreary and dark.  My layover in Tillamook was much needed and I am deeply indebted to Riley for his hospitality because, as I lay recovering, thoughts of returning home by the easy road and forsaking the journey south often accompanied the aches and pains I endured when simple tasks became efforts of will.

                ‘Eat all my food and use all the hot water.’

                And each day fled with startling speed as the closing of the solstice brought shorter days and shorter riding hours.  I looked at my itinerary considering the distance that I originally thought I could go and the actual distance I had traveled so far; more than 20 miles short and 3 days behind.  If I had ridden during my 2 day layover I should have been 150 miles south pushing my way out of Coos Bay and on to Gold Beach but I stayed in Tillamook replenishing my strength instead.

                As I made my way past the Tillamook Air Museum the clouds began to break apart and a shockingly blue sky peeked through.  After so many dark days the sun had a dramatic effect on my spirit.  I laughed often for the joy in my heart and I stopped during the rare moments when the sun flew from behind the clouds to close my eyes and feel the warmth on my cheeks.  The pedals turned easy on the nearly level route and I only intended to travel 30 miles to Pacific City to stay with my friend Ashley for a night or two.

                US 101 turned inland at this point while the main bike route turned east to traverse the Three Capes and I choose to save my strength for the long push to Newport where I arranged for lodging with a Couchsurfer on the internet.  Many tree-covered hills shielded me from the fury of the Pacific winds but soon my route also turned westward for many miles before driving south into Camp Kiwanda then across a small bridge and into Pacific City.

                Before long I was seeing the familiar signs and was into Pacific City.  It was about 3 in the afternoon with an evening overcast making its way inland.  Two friends from my time on Mt Hood lived in the area and while Ashley was at work, James Childs treated me to Fat Freddy Burger.  Later on in the evening Ashley also treated me to dinner and the meager money I had could take me a bit further.

                My body wanted to rest even after that short easy ride and I went to sleep thinking about how to fill the hours till I would ride again.

© 2013 Chris Bighorse


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

239 Views
Added on May 6, 2013
Last Updated on May 6, 2013

Author

Chris Bighorse
Chris Bighorse

Government Camp, OR



About
I am Navajo. My tribe does not call itself that, but the schools I've been to have called us such and the name has stayed. So, to you, I am Navajo. To me, I am Chris. Hopefully, in getting to know.. more..

Writing
Paper Paper

A Poem by Chris Bighorse