The Sail

The Sail

A Poem by Catherine Donavon

Sheets snap on the line in the morning breeze;
Smells of dewy earth and Clorox bleach;
I close my eyes and let my memory reach,
And sail again with you on azure seas.

Before our cotton diaper standard flew
We were a perfect cake-top man and wife;
We skimmed the silken surface of our life
Cocooned aboard a sailboat built for two.

We love the open water, endless sun,
The flapping of the sail striped blue and white,
The press of wind-burned bodies in the night
Riding the soft nocturnal swells as one.

My daydream wakes to floral print percale
And deck shoes out from which my big toe pokes,
And you on a hammock strung between two oaks,
Striped canvass sling that used to be a sail.

© 2019 Catherine Donavon


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice movement from the sheets to the sail and the boat . . . which may or may not have ever existed . . . to the present with it's melancholy tone. Another wonderful piece Catherine.
Tom

Posted 4 Years Ago


It is like this...Day dreaming. Lovely remembrance.

Posted 4 Years Ago


We pay for holey things now - few wear shoes or clothing long enough to wear them through - intentionally. Or ever re-wear something torn or worn 'shine(y)' or ragged. You speak toward ...us... OUR generation... our thoughts and experiences - especially of life before the media-determined glut of boredom inducing life-sucking enthrallment with someone else's view of anything they know nothing about.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Makes you want to ask where the time went. Yes, change reduces good times to daydreams. I must say, this poet has a gift for imagery. One can almost smell the Clorox, and the cake-top man and wife says much about the early days of marriage. Also liked the press of wind-burned bodies in the night (I'm just old, not dead.). Then the last verse brings us abruptly back into the present. It could be worse; some prefer to dwell in daydreams while reality passes by them. Very nice offering here.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Very visual and splendid piece of poetry. Well Done.

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 12, 2019
Last Updated on July 12, 2019

Author

Catherine Donavon
Catherine Donavon

Santa Fe, NM



About
I am a 71 year old woman currently living in Santa Fe, NM, but in the process of selling my home and hitting the road to live as a nomad. I am a singer/songwriter, actor, director, painter and writer... more..

Writing