Forever?

Forever?

A Story by Grenouille Rousse
"

No one really knows what happened.

"

     In a cluttered office that doubled as a music room sat a piano keyboard on a table.  The keys had a thin layer of dust but had little fingerprints near the edges. One of the very high keys had a huge chip on the end, but it didn't matter much because it wasn't used often. Suddenly but quietly, a woman with amber eyes stood in the doorway of the office, staring longingly at the musical instrument. She started hesitantly into the room, not bothering to turn on the lights.  The room was dim, with only a little ray of sunlight peeking through the thick, red velvet curtains.

      The woman lightly pressed the power switch of the keyboard with her long, thin fingers.  The "on" light of the keyboard was bright and green, shining in her amber eyes and reflecting from the walls, computer, and framed pictures. She slowly sat down in the wooden chair and tried playing a C, but had pressed too lightly on the key for any sound to come out. She then placed her fingers gracefully over the keys, starting off with a C chord. Soon enough, she was creating beautiful waltz-y music. But as soon as the song began to climb into the high register, she stopped abruptly, holding back tears. She flinched her fingers away from the keys, as if the piano had burned her. Not being able to resist any longer, she started to cry, her amber eyes drowning in tears, makeup, and eyelashes. She started to talk to herself, since she was the only person in the house.

      "When will you come home, Nathaniel?  When are you coming back?"

     Nathaniel was the name of the woman's husband.  He worked as a scientist, studying ancient dinosaurs and plants.  As his wife remembered him, he was tough, strong defending what he believed in, but kind, always looking for a way to cheer her up.  He had a funny mustache that reminded her of a steampunk inventor.  But about a year beforehand, he had left to go to South America to study modern rainforests compared to the ancient ones.  He was only supposed to stay in South America for three weeks, but had to stay for another month.  Recently, though, his collegues had reported to her that he had dissapeared into the depths of the thick rainforest.

© 2012 Grenouille Rousse


Author's Note

Grenouille Rousse
Sorry for any mistakes. This is also unfinished and I'm not really sure where to go from here.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

272 Views
Added on July 15, 2012
Last Updated on July 15, 2012
Tags: lost, keyboard, forever, scientist

Author

Grenouille Rousse
Grenouille Rousse

About
Hello! I'm Grenouille Rousse :) I love drawing, music, writing, and art in general. I'd like to think that I'm a good actress but I guess I'm not :/ Though that doesn't really matter. I write all .. more..

Writing