Crooked Teeth

Crooked Teeth

A Poem by Sarah

We have all been told that a beautiful smile is one with straight white teeth. Orthodontists make their living off of our fear of crooked teeth. 
Have we ever stopped to think that maybe the way our body naturally creates our teeth isn't all that bad?
Do not define the beauty of a smile by the amount of dental work done.
A smile is not beautiful because of ruler-straight, pearly whites.
A smile is not beautiful because of crooked, yellowed teeth.
A smile is beautiful because of the way your eyes light up and twinkle 
and the creases on the corners of them
and the way your lips stretch across the strong bones in your gums,
wrinkling your smile lines ever deeper
and the way you look so relaxed and natural 
A smile is a smile, and no amount of superficial cover-ups can change it 

© 2014 Sarah


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I had braces and about every other appliance that can be used to straighten your teeth. It was a long painful process and I don't feel it really had any positive impact on me either physically and emotionally. This poem is so true. We are all beautiful in our own way. Millions of people choose plastic surgery and other expensive procedures to fix their 'flaws' but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This is a beautiful poem. I hope you continue to write.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This poem is beautiful and sadly so true! I loved your use of many techniques of poetry writing. It's quite a short poem but after I read it, it really made me stop and think. Good job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


I had braces and about every other appliance that can be used to straighten your teeth. It was a long painful process and I don't feel it really had any positive impact on me either physically and emotionally. This poem is so true. We are all beautiful in our own way. Millions of people choose plastic surgery and other expensive procedures to fix their 'flaws' but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This is a beautiful poem. I hope you continue to write.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
B.J
My daughter had braces through her teenage years, this made her so self conscious of her smile for a long time. It does not change who the person is on the inside. Keep writing, it helps

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

284 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 26, 2014
Last Updated on June 26, 2014
Tags: teeth, self-help, confidence, self-love, superficiality

Author

Sarah
Sarah

About
Hi, my name is Sarah and I made an account here to try and experiment with writing, hopefully finding my passion. I love to write and I would greatly appreciate some feedback on my work. Thank you. more..

Writing