The Lawyer

The Lawyer

A Poem by Evie McFarland
"

Prose poem about aging and monotony.

"

The man was presently trapped at his desk in a perpetual state of stationary motion so when the child floated in through his window and asked him what the sky meant he responded with a series of platitudes and threw the child out the window. After finishing his paperwork and phoning his clients and cleaning the mustard stain off of his tie he looked out the window to check the weather and saw the child still clinging to the window by his fingertips. He was afraid the child might soon fall so he took a handgun out of his drawer and shot the child in the face. He then sat at his desk and realized suddenly that he had run out of paperwork so he packed up his briefcase and took off his tie and shot a hole through his chest. Then he went to the window because he never had gotten to see the weather in the first place and he noticed suddenly that the weather was completely obscured by the sky. He looked once at the ground for the body of the child and saw nothing. He looked down at his shirt and saw no traces of blood. Then he saw his reflection in the window and noticed that the hole was not in his chest but in his head. 

© 2013 Evie McFarland


Author's Note

Evie McFarland
I don't usually write poetry, but I was forced to write some for a class and I enjoyed it more than I expected. Any feedback or opinions would be super cool.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
Added on December 3, 2013
Last Updated on December 3, 2013
Tags: childhood, work, freedom

Author

Evie McFarland
Evie McFarland

About
I am a moderately insane eighteen-year-old who enjoys writing and music and standardized testing. Also, those pencils that have multiple tips hidden inside them. Those are awesome. more..

Writing
Breathe Breathe

A Story by Evie McFarland