Even the sun is but a shadow

Even the sun is but a shadow

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

In comparison to you...

"






























Her canvass portrait is enfleshed, and she lays her head across my legs.  Her dark hair reaches for the wooden beams that form my floor.  I cannot speak.  She can but tremble and sob.

      In an hour’s moment I stand to scan the sea.  I turn toward her huddled frame to speak.

      “You look for a friend who will paint your portrait in warm colors and soft strokes, but I am no such artist.  Illuminating light may reflect an empty chamber or a hollow haven. Sarah... Please find a friend with hope.  One who gives encouragement without coercion.  My love is far too slight to save you, and far too great to hold you here.”  I gaze back at the sea and she turns to me.  Her olive eyes reflect in my window as she stands to approach.

      “Not a friend,” she pauses.  “Not a friend on earth but you.  Will you also abandon me?  It was my father first, trying to buy my affections, and mother soon after with her fondness for friends.”  I cling desperately to the curtain as she continues.

      “Heaven only...Can even heaven cherish my tears?  Does heaven hear my heartbeat or taste my screaming sorrow?  Is it God’s back I see staring out this window at the waves?”  With her words spoken she runs through my doorway into daylight, and I turn to watch her flee.

      I step outside.  The sky is lightly brushed in blue with thin strands of gray and white stroked on the horizon.

      As I enter the lobby I view a scene of scurrying still-life.  Poignant stares and placid smiles are fixed on the faces of mute patrons.  Etched in the corner with a charcoal shadow sits Sarah, with tears streaming down her ashen cheeks.  I kneel beside her and speak.

      “Even the sun is but a shadow in comparison to you.  Its’ life is abstract, but you have a will.  Though your freedom is finite, grasp the paradise on this Midsummer Day.”

      She leans forward and raises her eyes toward mine.  Wiping her tears, she speaks.  “As Poussin has painted, even in paradise, death is king.  My story haunts the graveyard of my conscience, and I’m now too weak to have a will.

 

To weep in inner chambers,

and mourn the loss of dawn,

is finding shifting strangers,

to fix your hope upon.”

© 2018 An owl on the moon


Author's Note

An owl on the moon
From chapter six of "An owl on the moon”… June

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yes, as I would see it, I feel life is an abstract, We all blend in and then back out again.
Each of us holds different views too. This is very good

Posted 5 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Rye
“Even the sun is but a shadow in comparison to you. Its’ life is abstract, but you have a will. Though your freedom is finite, grasp the paradise on this Midsummer Day.”

Love this part, love the "life is abstract, but you have a will" Love the message/metaphor in this. This is wonderful. I enjoyed this write.

Posted 5 Years Ago


I am not very good at reading between the lines & catching subtleties, so I’m sure I missed quite a few in your story. But let it suffice to say that your writing & storytelling are nicely unique & compelling. This scene reminds me of how it would often be me as the one running away, offering a lame excuse, sorta like the narrator here seems to doing, trying to get away from this needy drama queen. You’ve packed this scene with delicious aspects of true-to-life mannerisms & reactions to give us a strong dose of how your characters are, without actually writing very much. That really takes skill & nuance. I’m in awe & I’m inspired (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

You sense so much through your reading, dear Margie. Thank you for sharing your insights and honesty.. read more
You write with an unrivaled sophistication and are as true to your tone and vibe as anyone I have ever read. This was magnificent, and when you add the stanzas at the end, it really adds depth and fever. You are the real deal my man. Loved this.

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

My friend, thank you for your constant encouragement. Truly thankful you are still here, still findi.. read more
You truly astound the senses. One has to remember to breathe when taking you in...what a thrill to see what you've become!

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

Oh, Kelly, thank you so much for your kindness, now and in all these years of sharing. :)
This is poetry my friend. I had to read again.
"Even the sun is but a shadow in comparison to you. Its’ life is abstract, but you have a will. Though your freedom is finite, grasp the paradise on this Midsummer Day.”
I love the complete poem and the above lines. Wonderful. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

My friend, you always encourage me so deeply when you stop by. Thank you. May your deep, rich poetry.. read more
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

You are welcome my friend. I always enjoy your work.
Your writing separates me into a million pieces...I just don't know any other way to put it!

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

You honor me with your presence... and every piece of your extravagant soul. Thank you!
Your words continue to illuminate love and she sprinklings of live upon everyone who reads them. I need to read your book and I shall. :) Such lovely writing Craig. Truly from the heart. :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

Thank you dear one. Truly. You've been here to support me for such years of joy and agony. Hoping so.. read more
This is so beautiful! You are so talented!!

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your kindness!
Simply Awesome, I enjoyed this write a lot. Nicely written

Posted 5 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

935 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 3, 2018
Last Updated on June 3, 2018

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Couplet~ Couplet~

A Poem by lightsong


In Dreams In Dreams

A Story by E7


BAIRN BAIRN

A Poem by Sneh