Even the sun is but a shadow

Even the sun is but a shadow

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

In comparison to you...

"






























Her canvass portrait is enfleshed, and she lays her head across my legs.  Her dark hair reaches for the wooden beams that form my floor.  I cannot speak.  She can but tremble and sob.

      In an hour’s moment I stand to scan the sea.  I turn toward her huddled frame to speak.

      “You look for a friend who will paint your portrait in warm colors and soft strokes, but I am no such artist.  Illuminating light may reflect an empty chamber or a hollow haven. Sarah... Please find a friend with hope.  One who gives encouragement without coercion.  My love is far too slight to save you, and far too great to hold you here.”  I gaze back at the sea and she turns to me.  Her olive eyes reflect in my window as she stands to approach.

      “Not a friend,” she pauses.  “Not a friend on earth but you.  Will you also abandon me?  It was my father first, trying to buy my affections, and mother soon after with her fondness for friends.”  I cling desperately to the curtain as she continues.

      “Heaven only...Can even heaven cherish my tears?  Does heaven hear my heartbeat or taste my screaming sorrow?  Is it God’s back I see staring out this window at the waves?”  With her words spoken she runs through my doorway into daylight, and I turn to watch her flee.

      I step outside.  The sky is lightly brushed in blue with thin strands of gray and white stroked on the horizon.

      As I enter the lobby I view a scene of scurrying still-life.  Poignant stares and placid smiles are fixed on the faces of mute patrons.  Etched in the corner with a charcoal shadow sits Sarah, with tears streaming down her ashen cheeks.  I kneel beside her and speak.

      “Even the sun is but a shadow in comparison to you.  Its’ life is abstract, but you have a will.  Though your freedom is finite, grasp the paradise on this Midsummer Day.”

      She leans forward and raises her eyes toward mine.  Wiping her tears, she speaks.  “As Poussin has painted, even in paradise, death is king.  My story haunts the graveyard of my conscience, and I’m now too weak to have a will.

 

To weep in inner chambers,

and mourn the loss of dawn,

is finding shifting strangers,

to fix your hope upon.”

© 2018 An owl on the moon


Author's Note

An owl on the moon
From chapter six of "An owl on the moon”… June

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Amazing.... I intend to visit often & true...... Neville

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

Neville, I so appreciate you coming by. :)
Neville

5 Years Ago

Entirely my pleasure... Neville
Your beautiful book... seems timeless, Owl.. and always will be. I remember way back the way you thought and near laboured to find its heart.. changing phrases, views, emotions, mishappening. So many nibbles and strange concoctions supped meantime!!! But, look what you have now! Even this snippet shows the depths of your imagination, creating a time and 'mode' of behaviour, and far far more. That final sentence certainly is... more than. Wondrous words. Be safe, old friend..

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

So glad to have you a part of this journey for these years, dear Emma. Seems every day someone else .. read more
Your beautiful book... seems timeless, Owl.. and always will be. I remember way back the way you thought and near laboured to find its heart.. changing phrases, views, emotions, mishappening. So many nibbles and strange concoctions supped meantime!!! But, look what you have now! Even this snippet shows the depths of your imagination, creating a time and 'mode' of behaviour, and far far more. That final sentence certainly is... more than. Wondrous words, old friend..

Posted 5 Years Ago


My story haunts the graveyard of my conscience, and I’m now too weak to have a will.

mmmm.. such hauntingly true Lines Craig... they speak to me on a very personal level..
and for Month of June... this seems like the perfect gift..
so beautiful...you portray the feelings of a lost soul so well...

you are gifted writer and your words will always weave magic... :)
Pls. keep writing always... and sharing your light to the world


Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

Ardra, I deeply appreciate your comments. Thank you for your light and your blessings. May you find .. read more
Without sun there are no shadows, she is brighter than sun and yet she weeps for love. " even in paradise, death is king." .... " finding shifting strangers to fix your hope upon.so Profound and so sad.
Vida sem amor,sem amigos... que tristeza.
Desejo você muitos amigos e muita amor no sua vida. Uma grande abraço. Tudo de bom.

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

Muito obrigado... Your words are so inspired, so kind. Wishing you such joy, and friends gathered ar.. read more
Mrudula Rani

5 Years Ago

De nada... a prazer é meu. Você sempre dá muitas alegre para me com suas palavras lindas. Tenha u.. read more
maybe someone will come along to paint that beautiful portrait

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much, my friend. May your week bring you endless inspiration.
 wordman

5 Years Ago

thank you,and you`re welcome

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

936 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 3, 2018
Last Updated on June 3, 2018

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Couplet~ Couplet~

A Poem by lightsong