four red walls: january

four red walls: january

A Chapter by An owl on the moon
"

Chapter one of my first novel: "An owl on the moon..."

"
     Words... Words... Words... What are mere symbols and shapes on paper to describe the shattering apparitions I have seen and the stinging sensations that have pierced my life’s shackled shadow? Yet even as I weigh and measure these coarse characters on this page, pallid cold clouds swift over my remembrance of the inn above the cliffs of Aesacus. Pounding waves carry my intentions to sleep and baleful, thundering storms still wake me in the depths of the night while the echoes of the vanishing angel’s voice whisper on. 
     My mind now fills with the restless, roaring ocean. Reefs of jagged, black rock rise like lone pillars. Trying to crawl from underneath the swelling sea, they are ever forced adown under the relentless onslaught of the pounding green waves; deep green waves that rise up like arched wings, then fall and shatter upon themselves in foamy ruins. Above this salty thunder, black wooden fingers fasten upon the perennial, gray rock that towers over. This ancient matted structure is Idler Inn.
     Unstrained, I sit and gaze,
                                 glare,
   survey,
           stare
through barred windows encased in embroidered steel. Pearly frosted dust obstructs the channels of light, leaving only small pillars of fire, arranged in disordered fragments. The antiquated sallow walls are stained with crimson braids that wreathe and scuttle about the rimes and rifts.
     From a mist of shaded silence I hear footsteps.  The rhythm is simple and even. The door breathes open as they approach, and a raven shadow appears in the corner of my eye.
     “My face is wet from weeping. Can I find a shelter here?” I hear her solitary causerie. This voice, all too familiar, walks through me.
     “Dry your eyes,” I hear me say. “This is no place for tears.”
     Stiffening silence.
     Then, as a single snowflake flares and flickers upon voicing its final breath, so two eyes make silent conversation with mine. A face as iridescent as candle-fire purls verse and poetry. My eyes read her every intent as a wave of recollections floods my senses.
     “It is our tears that make us human. But no more of that, my old friend. Do you have a place for me to rest? The road has been so long that I have traveled on to return me here.” The light cheers and carols across her eyes as she speaks.
 
I arise from my resting place
to gaze upon the colorless face
of an angel in tranquil disgrace.
 
    “Why would you want to stay here at all?”   I utter this knowing that a seraph would not cherish a soiled and coarse cradle.
     “Mind you,” she mocks, “I do not wish to be a burden, so I will make this only a moment.” Her pause causes my heart to stutter and lose itself. Perhaps, perchance, she thinks I might melt into the molding and inlay if another moment passes, and so she speaks.
     “Will you give me a room in your inn to view the sea?” At this I perceive a crystal vision quivering in the corner of her eye. A porcelain hand wipes this away.
     A voice sings, “Friend.” Another chorus, “Friend.”
     “The sea is rough here,” I say. “You’ll find no peace in the portal of this sea.”
     Her eyes, a sallow olive hue, veiled and opaque, fix on the vision of the sea beyond the barred windows.
 
Emerald and azure,
whispers and foam,
collide on the sea shore;
see pathways alone.
 
     “One room,” I say. A hushed stillness. “There is one room available on the crest of the sea. Will it be yours?”
     Her dark hair drapes her lily face as she turns. Her hand grasps a pen and moves to write out her name. Though I know she writes more, my eyes see only “Sarah.”
     “One night. That is all I’ll need. One last dreadful night of sleepless dreaming.”
     The key to her room glides across the counter and slips to the ground, making a discordant tone on the tile floor. Her hand grasps it up as the entry opens to the clamor and prattle of rambling guests. Before another breath is mine, she disappears past the top of the stairs. Her sweet, fragrant perfume lingers for a brief moment.
     Upon the creeping edge of night I seal up the materials of my office and enter the muted darkness. I hear the distant waves dancing on the seas’ sand as I enter my cabin, and glancing back toward Idler Inn, the last light flickers out.
     Darkness stirs and shifts outside my window as I prepare my cot for rest. I stand in isolation staring out at the eyes of Orion. The mute hush is startled by creaking floors and pounding wood as footsteps approach.
     “I heard the waves and thought of you. Could I ask a question before you sleep?” I turn to see the angel in my door. Her eyes prick and pierce my rest, and her white dress shivers in the wind as if she has crystalline wings.
     “What can I do for you, Sarah Selene?” I say as I secretly shiver. “Why have you come back to this forsaken place? And after so long?”
     “You have lived by this ocean all your life. I have gone and come again,” she whispers.   “Does the sea still have so many faces?”
     “As many as you have, I would imagine. Maybe more. But your face seems more weary, while it looks ever defiant.”
     I stand in stillness as a stream and current draw her across my dusty, shadowed room. Her sounds sting my heart.
     “My life has been of alabaster and ivory, but now I want to hear the ocean sing. I can’t feel the thundering trumpets or the striding drums. I can’t even feel the soft cymbals; the tune of wind and water. This ocean, your life, is barren to me.”
 
“Sarah, I have lived so long at the oceans’ side,
there is nothing new to reveal.
I’ve been bruised and buried in the oceans’ tide,
abandoned, no life left to feel.”
 
     “May I stay here a few moments?” she says. At this I turn toward the window, my lips immobile.
    “I won’t stay long,” she says. “I’m just newly unfamiliar with you. Away too long to remember well. Please, help me remember.”
     “And what have you to remember of me?” I ask. “It has been nearly twenty years since you left this place.”
     “True, but you have been missed,” she replies.
     “Perhaps, I was mist, but what of him?” I ask. “What of the one your soul confided in? The one who disappeared one day, but no one knows where.”
     “His love for me was stillborn,” she whispers. “His affections were a serpents’ cloak.” 
     My fingers part fabric and lace, exposing the darkness. Veiled ebony crawls and creeps through the night sky revealing glimpses of the glowing, amber orb hanging in the heavens. Her face is reflected as I speak:
 
“In freedom you form in utter disgrace,
the bars of my prison this night.
While you drift on currents of seraphim heights,
it is I who deserve to take flight.”
 
     “Why are you jealous of me?” Her eyes speak with haunting grace. “My homeplace is the wind and no soft pillow. Would you be such a fool to trade form for fiction?”
     “I would trade my shackled form for anything but this,” I say, motioning to my musty, unfinished room. “You had all the wealth...of money and prestige. What I had is all I’ll ever have; poverty of purpose.”
     Two feet between us; a freezing crevasse.
     She speaks. “Mine is a different poverty. Only the context is changed and the brevity with which it is enjoyed.” Her tone intensifies. “We are not so different. How we both drink deeply of life’s paining cup, and long to find a friend to take it from us.”
     “But why return here? Why come back to a passionless home?”
     “There is no home like a child’s home. Perhaps, I still search for a buried treasure on this shore. Or maybe I seek to bury something even deeper still. Can one find a doorway in the darkness or search while standing still?”
     “Where is that searching child? Is she visible to the eye?”
     “It was such a different time back then. When we were growing up, we walked with no shoes and let the sand swift our feet. I was so alive then.”
     “Perhaps, you merely felt alive then, and now you have a certain idolatry of discontent. Go haunt some other memory,” I say. “Let me have a little peace. I truly pray that you will have peace, as well.”
     She strides and steps through my silent door, leaving behind a scarlet paper with a white heart. I lay here numb and still. I close my eyes...
 
     Reeds grabble and grope on a distant shore; long since washed away. Smells, at once sweet and repulsive brush the air. Deep emerald vines weave tapestry and lace across the sand.
 
Playful footsteps, a child’s footsteps
dance over mud and mire.
What seems a horror to eyes of age,
brings joy to a child’s fire.
 
     She, clothed in her tiny gown with her tiny hands and glinting eyes, stares out to sea. A woven bonnet, filled with daffodils and daisies crowns her black curled hair. The reeds seem to
carry her across the marsh in an unhindered dance.
 
“If I could know now what I will,
or see now what I shall,
oh, what a wonderful vision of hope it would be.”
 
     Spinning and laughter fill her mind as she turns toward the blazing sun. Before her stand four stone walls:
 
Scarlet to think by;
crimson to grow;
cardinal to dream by;
ruby to know.
 
     On each wall, a crystal door. Through each door, a sacred path. In silence she grasps at the way.
     “What if I choose poorly?” (Scarlet.)
         “How can I know what will become?” (Crimson.)
   “Do I hold good or evil in my hand?” (Cardinal.)
        “Will I sing or weep?” (Ruby.)
     Her answer cries, “Piercing silence!”
 
This dream, a life;
this life, a dream.
Immersed in darkness,
I hear her scream.
 
     The sphere of golden light plunges beneath the waves as the winding breath of the earth caresses sky and sea. Her small fingers grasp for a door and swing it wide. “Darkness will be your closest friend,” a still voice speaks. Her eyes widen as ebony engulfs her. In the shifting sand she etches “God, help Sarah.” Her fragile hands grasp for the salt and shells of the sea.
     There is caged blindness in the air and a shrieking laughter. Chains clasp on wisps of raven smoke.
     The waves as drums beat in repetition as their rhythms violently assault the shore, though they never advance.
 
     My eyes open...
     Out my frosted window a red beam pierces the clouds as quilted, gray blankets cover the earth. She is there, on the shore, her figure wrapped in the wisping gray.
     My window shrieks as it opens and the sharpness of sea and salt fill my mind. The circling birds swim the currents of air and cry to one another, as the whispering seafoam drapes the sandy shore.
     My heart ceases as she glances at me. For a moment, I cease.
     The sand colored wood claws at my feet as I move toward the sea, and toward her piercing gaze.
 
This morning I breathe iced air,
and wander toward the waves.
For a moment I live without care;
a moment all my heart craves.
 
     The earth turns to reveal her lily face. There is no longer ocean, only olive green eyes, and she speaks.
     “We are far too alike. Our dreams have more meaning than our waking times.” 
     “You walked through my dream last night, Sarah. You were a frightened child.”
     “What was I afraid of? Or did you know?”
     “The birth of tomorrow and tomorrow’s children. How their faces tick on time, and their hands swivel ever ‘round.”
     I stand silent for a moment and she speaks. “I, too, dreamed of you, in my moments’ rest. You were afraid, but I don’t know what of.
 
What fills your heart with fright?
Is it brilliant day or darking night?
The howling sun consumes,
the paling sparkle of the moon.
With step on step you find,
the tortured banter of your mind,
now clouds your shifting sky...
Awaken, dreamer, it’s time to die.”
 
     The waves erode the rocky cliffs and strip the sandy shore. These violent thunderings hush as she speaks again.
     “The child born of each new day strides with crippled wings. Do you sense her struggle?”
 
“I can taste the salted suffering,
and smell the sorrow there.
But I cannot help this child,
for I don’t know how to care.”
 
     She crosses in front of me, and even the sea is lost behind her gaze. She speaks.
 
“The ancient Janus redefined.
Each new beginning fragments the soul and mind.
The hittlering-hellish hatred of doorways cold and dark,
and visions all tormenting: bloody, bleak, and stark.”
 
     With her words, I weep, and in my clouded vision I whisper my reply.
 
“O, the sorrow of us all,
to wander the earth in a shell.
And looking to the heavens,
we lay to rest in hell.
The suffering of the innocent
in the midst of Jacob’s well.
How the miles fled between us,
and that distance is still great.
Though on the same shore we now sit,
in temporal quietude to wait.
The moon is our bright witness;
it will lead us to the gate.”
 
     “Oh, that the sand were our sufferings to be cleansed by the shifting waves.” With her words, all falls silent as I sit beside her and view the sea.
 
 


© 2009 An owl on the moon


Author's Note

An owl on the moon
My first book, born amidst a long-term period of depression...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"four red walls:January"
An owl on the moon,
Inner honest feelings given life. That's what this writing feels like to me. Within an important season of your life I see beauty. It was a pleasure to be able to enter your dream.
It's hard to pick on part having read it twice but I did come away with the idea that each of us is so different in how we express and what.
Blessings to you.
Kathy

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

All I can say is it was inspiring and very intellegent.
An owl on the moon

6 Years Ago

Hoping to have a Goodreads contest soon. Would love for you to win the novel. :)
Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

That sounds great but my stuff is not something that would win anything but someone will earn it I k.. read more



Reviews

"four red walls:January"
An owl on the moon,
Inner honest feelings given life. That's what this writing feels like to me. Within an important season of your life I see beauty. It was a pleasure to be able to enter your dream.
It's hard to pick on part having read it twice but I did come away with the idea that each of us is so different in how we express and what.
Blessings to you.
Kathy

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

All I can say is it was inspiring and very intellegent.
An owl on the moon

6 Years Ago

Hoping to have a Goodreads contest soon. Would love for you to win the novel. :)
Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

That sounds great but my stuff is not something that would win anything but someone will earn it I k.. read more
Good Gracious!
The awakening of a mysterious saga!
Craig, this felt like walking in gloom for so long that the existence of light is forgotten.
Air suddenly felt so heavy.
Absolutely loved your magical words!
Will be reading chapter two now.

Posted 8 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

8 Years Ago

I so appreciate you diving into this dark ocean of me, Jyoti. There are moments when all light is sw.. read more
It would be amazing if you downloaded one of those recorders and read from a few passages. It would intensify the readers senses and make it even more special :) ...just a thought. I am gonna download it this weekend on my kindle and read. Have a lot going on this morning have my teenagers birthday sleep over tonight. Pray for me...I'm getting old!LOL Will definitely be cashing in on that tea and cookies and your soulful words.

Posted 10 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

10 Years Ago

My heart is lifted by you here. These words are from dark and sacred places hidden deep within me.... read more
Gypsy Warrior Queen

10 Years Ago

I downloaded your book and hopefully will get to read some on the layover. Death has been a visitor.. read more
An owl on the moon

10 Years Ago

Take care in these precious moments of reflection.. of love and sorrow mingled.. I hope you find pre.. read more
I read "chapter two" not knowing that this was part of a book and was instantly hooked. I can't wait to read this "Chapter One"! So beautiful and mysterious.

WONDERFULLY written. I'm a HUGE imagery fan. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

An owl on the moon

11 Years Ago

Meliss@, thank you for reading a chapter of my book! It was begun when I was in the midst of suicida.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
Now I'm here digging up some treasure and now what i found are full of magnificent diamonds...

wow,wow,wow ~ Mr. Craig you have taken me to a breathless journey in your words... full of stunning picture/imagery in a very well-crafted chapter... i may call it a colorful painting almost surreal, and yet full of mysteries in its way... Incredibly sad yet such amazing beauty on how you painted it….

I just have to quote my favorites diamond wisdom i found:
"it is our tears that makes us human"
~ yes indeed i totally agree...remembering our memories triggers our emotional state then our tears flows... emotions and memories makes us human indeed, if we don't have those then we can call ourselves a stone cold machinery...
"Poverty of purpose" "mine is a different poverty. Only the context is changed and the brevity of which it is enjoyed"
~ those words are ever powerful to me, they speak so much of what we are in the society...
“how we both drink deeply of life’s paining cup, and long to find a friend to take it from us”
~ oh how deeply poignant statement… well once you’ve drink it, it never leaves but I know in time the burning pain it brought will turn into a memory to remember by…
“darkness will be your closest friend”
~ I’m too familiar with this, for it is the friend of many…

Reading the first chapter makes me want to read more… reading the first chapter makes you breathless what’s more to come installed in the next chapter… it will be much, much, more…
I’m really glad you shared this mr. Craig…it’s a wonderful tale……full of brilliance…


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

An owl on the moon

11 Years Ago

Appreciate your comments and insights so much, Pax! It means the world for me to read your thoughts.. read more
How lovely and poetic...your words fill the page with the passion of a poet.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I don't even know what to say.
Absolutely beauty in your descriptives,
I can almost taste the night air, the saltiness
of the sea and hear the crashing of waves racing
against the tides. The title intrigued me, so had
to have a looksy. Am glad I did. Sarah ..

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow Craig. Simply said, Wow.
Your imagery is incredible. I am a sucker for three things: Imagery, scenery, and character development.
Your metaphors brought me deep in to your life and your emotional realm. I was able to relate to this on so many levels.
My favorite style of writing is prose, I believe you have reviewed my book "Lifescape: A collection of Prose" many times.
I love the way that prose, when written well, can take you deep into someone else's shoes. Turn you- into them. Lose yourself inside their heart and their emotions. And yet, find yourself again, remember who you are, and relate back to the writer who's work you read.
I feel Prose builds a connection among us writers. Of understanding and appreciation.
I have a whole new respect for you after reading this. I will read more.
P.s. I have written a sort of autobiography. I'm in the process of revising all twelve chapters, but they will continue to be put up occasionally. The dedication of my autobiography "The Story of a Prayer" which was also my first book can be seen here: http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/SerenaDivinity/558198/. It gives you much insight to the rest of the book.
Keeping a journal or writing about what you experience in life I have found.. is my cure for every thing and my doorway to learning.
Never stop Craig.
100/100

Posted 13 Years Ago


Hey, trust me, depression blows the bull. I know. I have been a member here since '07 and a few months after Shadows and Secrets was released I started to slip. It wasn't until my PC was stolen, with all my work on it, that I hit bottom and stopped writing. These last few weeks I have tried to begin again, trying to find myself in the writing I once loved. It's a slow process, but I feel the writer within kicking my depression in the groin and letting me speak. This was a nice work. I will try and read more as soon as I can. Feel free to send requests.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow, I'm glad I came across this. I'm already reading a couple of books here, and been really busy, but I miss reading, which I used to do a lot, so I'm going to try to get to the rest of this as soon as possible. Really enjoyed this first chapter. Well done. Intriguing.

Posted 14 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1491 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 9 Libraries
Added on February 7, 2008
Last Updated on May 16, 2009


Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Smiles Smiles

A Poem by Tate Morgan