Moving like waves...

Moving like waves...

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

I wanted to write an abstract painting to honor the memory of my mother...

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The sun in her yellow dress

Dances on cream and strawberry swirls

And the earth spins as I sit still

It’s covered in laced pine-needle frills

 

The tears of the ocean flow

Flooding the sandy shore of beads

Turning cheeks to pomegranate stripes

In the air the shriek of a bird bleeds

 

Your eyes were the color of the world

As mourners gather in the rain

Leopard striped grass paints the stone

Moving like waves and releasing my pain...

 

© 2010 An owl on the moon


Author's Note

An owl on the moon
A simple dedication to the memory of my mother who loved me when I was unlovable... Sometimes I still am... :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Lovely indeed though tumultuous, this is what it invoked in my minds eye.

First the plain print...
A constant setting sun, on a world that spins and we wonder why we feel so horrid at times, should we be dizzy? And there seems to be so many frills yet most of them are sharp (during some moments at least) . And we fill an ocean within ourselves with in our own sandy beaches (our skin)
Until we are full and we over flow eyes and cheeks stripped and striped and shrieks formally held in our heads escape our throats. And we see colour in others eyes yet to ones own we seem colour blind, and ones own can seem somewhat dead, behind invisible bars waving frantically for someone to get you out.

Then the Papyrus font...
Something in her yellow dress is the where I want to be, in that radiance, that colour means something I want consuming my innermost places. A freedom and lack of self consciousness like the lady who is wrapped in that yellow warmth, I admire the intricacies and the strength in such delicateness. Full as an ocean of ideas floating in the air, the air offering up the world even in the rain never changing, a rock in the tide of life anchoring one from the drifting of pain.

It was a dedication to your mother I did read.. And a lovely one at that.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Such a beautiful tribute! Not only have you created one beautiful piece, but two, almost in opposition. In the first, I read into the beauty of your mother, here softness, her gentle but strong love, but in the second I found the joy of life and the pain of life lost. How incredible...

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is my favourite write of yours, so different in style, it reveals strengths I never knew you had.

'Your eyes were the color of the world'

And I bet everyone reading this knows what you mean, though their mothers eyes were very different.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Oh thats so beautiful , what a beutiful poem by a beautiful soul , I am sure she would still love you , writing such wonderful words , Yossi

Posted 14 Years Ago


And that's what mother's (or any decent human being) do... love when someone thinks they're unlovable, whether their "little one" is 10 or 30 or 60. A very beautiful tribute. Heartfelt, emotional, and honest. A beautiful piece.

Posted 14 Years Ago


:( That's so very sad.... But I think it's absolutely endearing that you wrote this for her. It's stuff like this that coined the phrase "painting a picture with words". I can't even remotely think of what it will be like...IF I lose my mother. (Refuse to say when!) Anyhow, lovely job. Everything flowed so well. Thanks for entering into my contest! :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


last two lines excellent. the rest very moving. thanks

Posted 14 Years Ago


Craig,
I see this is an old post and I'm so glad to have found it. Stunning, emotive, breathtaking. Just plain wonderful. She loves it as well, this I'm sure.

Lynne

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Beautiful piece filled with deep feelings .. i could this in this written piece love and beauty, something which you intended to portray, i guess, and you've been really successful
"Your eyes were the color of the world
As mourners gather in the rain
Leopard striped grass paints the stone
Moving like waves and releasing my pain..."
Loved these lines .. nice choice of words
~Kavish~

Posted 14 Years Ago


Congratulations for winning the Honor-thy-Mother contest!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Craig my brother this is truly touching... I to wondered how my mom loved me but then again there is nothing more magical then a mothers love... this is an eloquent tribute to your mom.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2331 Views
54 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on April 20, 2008
Last Updated on May 9, 2010

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..