WHEN I DIE...

WHEN I DIE...

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

My life's prayer... (Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die - Amelia Burr)

"

 

 

When I die

I do not wish

To merely slumber into the grave

But to yield my last breath

Of my own will

When I die

I shall be found

Seeking Valhalla

Place of honor

The heavens

Having lived not fearing death

Nor fearing life

But clinging with fierceness

To all that is holy

all that is good

Life surrendered to the flames

To the orphans and the widows

To hope and peace

Not selfish glory

When I die

May I be on fire

burning bright

Like the sun

devouring the world

With my passion

And when I die,

I pray

I hope

I resolve

To die

Having been fully alive…

 

 

 

© 2009 An owl on the moon


Author's Note

An owl on the moon
The Greeks didn't write obituaries... They only asked one question after a man died: "Did he have passion?"

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Craig, from one brother to another. "When you die, you will be remembered as a man of love that loves the gifts of beauty that God has bestowed upon your heart that is seen through the eyes of a man named Craig. Your poems, your writings, and your book (An Owl On The Moon) i think its called...If not, I'm sorry, will be the legacy left behind from a soul that has walked, talked and graced these crossroads that we all walk together. Your words will be left behind as a tool for others to read. Today, tomorrow, and forever in the hearts of all that come to know you in person and the words you write.

Art

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

All sentiments of memory and fire aside... When you die, the grief of your loss will have very specific gravity in my heart. Thank you for writing this Craig :)


Posted 11 Years Ago


This one just makes me want to stand up and cheer. The form, the word choice, simplicity and power - just perfect. And I totally agree with the sentiment. That's why I wrote "Welcome to the Outside," and other poems on the subject of my choices in life. Is it really living if our hearts go unheeded?

Posted 12 Years Ago


What an amazingly compelling write. A life lived without passion is hardly worthy of being called living. I hope you attain your goal.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think that this is good and that it shows how you really feel.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is absolutely awesome. It is like a testimony of sorts. Who can refute your own testimonial desires? Wonderful write! Yes, it is full of passion not to mention wisdom.

Posted 13 Years Ago


For a poem about death, it's so full of life. Another wonderful piece of art my friend.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Craig you write with such passion!
When I die,
i pray
I hope
I resolve
to die
having been fully alive! That my friend saids it all to me!


Posted 13 Years Ago


This is wonderful. It was thought provoking. It is simple and easy to follow and your word choices are spectacular. Amazing piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


very inspring poem, i really love the concept of this poem one that i am and thinking about useing for some of my poetry. also the information on the greeks in the authors note really pulls it all together. it reminds me as well of the epic of gilgamesh, where at the end he discovers that the key to life is to grasp life and live every second to the fullest.

this was truely a real easy read, normally here i would say what i would change. but really all i can see that i didnt like was the structure of the "stanzas" was drastically different on each one pulling them all together would give it more of a flow i find. but the transitions and visual imagry is very good and makes up for this. I would really appreciate it if you would look over some of my work and tell me what you think.

Thanks for the lesson

robert

Posted 13 Years Ago


Passion, is written all over you... you have put your passion to paper... again... I love your poetry. And will you say this for me when I die and go to Valhalla? I will for you.
~♥~

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3172 Views
56 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on March 28, 2009
Last Updated on August 9, 2009

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..