In Awe of Pebbles and Playwrights

In Awe of Pebbles and Playwrights

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

She speaks in riddles music...

"

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

    Silent circling seabirds stroke the air.  Beneath their shadows granite statues line the dreaming shore. A girl with raven hair, an ashen dress, and a thousand beads appears, and a brilliance of light engulfs us. I turn and am enveloped within her eyes.

     She speaks in riddle’s music. “Be honest in your waking times or the truth will haunt your dreams.”

     “Please, would you speak to me again?  Why do I find you here?” I say.  “Here in this wasteland where I am barren and empty.  Have you no word for me?”

     Her gray, gypsy shadow becomes flesh and her riddles flow like spring rain.

 

“A pebble thrown in a pool

may ripple from end to end,

but tossed into the sea,

it is swallowed by enormity.”

 

     A screaming silence surrounds us, though waves claw the shore in hushed strokes.  My words claw at my throat.  “In silent words, you speak so much.”

     “And you, though you speak volumes, say precious little.  Don’t you know that words are actors set in motion, and you are the playwright?  They can create a mood of harmony or destroy peace in violent isolation.  Words are civilians or soldiers; artists or autocrats; worshippers or pagans.  They make you rich or sell you into poverty.  Master them and you rule, or be mastered by them and serve.”  She pauses in red reflections.

     “Words can sway the masses; words can sway your own soul.”

     I turn my back to the sea.  Its salt is stinging.  “And what of me in this empty place? Am I a pebble in a pond or tossed in the sea? What of me?”

     “Only you can glimpse what you will be. Look within you, and not in the shallows… look deep in the chasms past all hope of land… What do you see there? Look deep and ponder what you perceive…”

     Her raven hair lifts as if wings, she turns away, and all fades to white and whispers in the salted sun.

© 2011 An owl on the moon


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is an amazing piece of writting ... the imagery is spellbinding ...thankyou for sharing

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
absolutely breathtaking in imagery..the riddle was divine inspiration as it depth speaks a thousand truths..loved it..

Posted 12 Years Ago


saying much with silence; sending your imagination into possibility and hope - wonder full imagery transitioning into personal emotion thru mystery and admiration - subtle tension building elements withering and leaving the reader hoping the character will grasp the memory with joy letting go of longing - beautiful Mr Froman :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


This reminds me of something wonderfully old and wise. Like it doesn't belong in this century. It was very vivid and lovely in the images you drew. Everything flows and fills ones mind with such vivid images. As a rather minimalist writer myself, it is a gift I envy.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Beautiful, flowing words, a moral all writers could adopt and remember .. words can kill or cure, inspire or endanger .. they are everything you say and more.

As to your words becoming the you of you, the spirit inside the body .. your penultimate paragraph says utmost truth.

“Words can sway the masses; words can sway your own soul.” ~ such truth.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This piece embodies its very message; "Words can sway the masses." I, and I am sure many other readers, find in these words a terrific relevance to my own life. Wonderful job in being able to subtly, though effectively, involve the reader.

Posted 13 Years Ago


"And you, though you speak volumes, say precious little."

Haven't we all been there? Once again, Craig, you manage to convey us all into a realm where although we long to be there maybe we are afraid to enter. You manage to cut through the meat and get to the gristle without being whiny, by being subtle and that's why I am in constant awe of you!

Fabulous spill, Craig- greatly done

Posted 13 Years Ago


Pebbles and Playwrites. You have painted a perfect metaphor. the sea of the masses...does one get lost or have the courage to stand upon originality and take the chance of drowning? WONDERFUL CRAIG! Simply wonderful!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wonderful piece here! I am pondering right now what I shall be! Maybe tonight my dreams will be just that! Excellent write! Your words are magic on paper for readers like me to be caught right into.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Craig your writing is so smooth and excellent, I love they way you draw the readers right in! this piece was dreamy and thoughts to ponder!

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2042 Views
39 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on February 22, 2011
Last Updated on March 11, 2011

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Songs of Colour Songs of Colour

A Poem by OT


Alice blue Alice blue

A Poem by Robin