PEACE ON EARTH AND OTHER MYTHS

PEACE ON EARTH AND OTHER MYTHS

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

I want to believe in peace... I want to believe...

"

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

How breathes vile peace… in bruises and war… and fierce death untold… the stench of souls wrenched from flesh…  vast fields of carnage thrust on a child’s eyes… smoke veiling heaven’s gates from a thousand burning cities…

Happy homes undone… torn in two…  wedded bliss marred with bones asunder… ripped bands and promises… torn like parchment…  as his fists pound her once smiling face…

Those scars cut in the shape of hearts on wrists…  blank stares from the mirror… hated reflections... screams concealed in workaday toil… dreams unrelenting and unfulfilled…

And there are songs of peace… to fill this earth of war… yet is peace even found in your own head… your heart… How can it ever fill a world so choked in power and conceit and hatred?

Are these only myths we teach to children to give them hope, when in our own lives they lie as distant legends now unspoken… unlived… undone?

© 2011 An owl on the moon


Author's Note

An owl on the moon
I will go on believing in peace, yet realize with wars across the planet, families in decay, and individuals in horrid isolation, peace on earth isn’t an easy dream to hold onto. We just need it all the more...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
perfection is meant to be strived for and never achieved. like the irony of loves beauty is its need to grow. Never ending if true. I ask you, does perfection become stagnant in the lie of its perfection?

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very creative message of peace, despite life's overwhelming resistance for that one thing we all search and crave for.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I really like this! There is a lot of truth in the message, and I was interested to keep reading throughout!
"dreams unrelenting and unfulfilled…"
This line is especially meaningful to me, as it reminds me of Langston Hughes poetry about Dreams Deferred....
I agree with the content of your poetry too. "Are these only myths we teach to children to give them hope, when in our own lives they lie as distant legends now unspoken… unlived… undone?"
This line is especially powerful. It says it all in a few lines.
But the thing is, well at least for me, I look at it this way: We have the choice to join the side of evilness, which could be convincing since it seems to win.
Or we can choose the side of Goodness. Although it seems like a loosing battle I would choose the side of Goodness, hope for peace and what is basically now a myth. But I would also do everything in my power to at least help that side. You know like a team spirit sort of thing. And in terms of children, I don't have any yet (I am not even 18 yet!) but when I do, I would teach them that there are injustices in this world and terrible, devastating things happening. But all the same, that they(children) should do all they can to make this world a better place. We have to at least try. We might not significantly change it on the large scale, but even if it is something local, it counts. It is important to be aware, and to know better than to think that this world is composed of only jolly ranches and bubble gums with flowers and butterflies!

Great job!

~Happy Writing!~

Posted 12 Years Ago


Ya know this is so truthful, peace is hard to find now days. You can't even go to a store anymore without fear of being shot. I loved this, shows compassion

Posted 12 Years Ago


i think peace is a myth or more like a dream of religion and your poem is a hymn. as long the evil, vain and greedy are rewarded daily by our social and political systems and our viewer ratings (because nobody wants to watch a show about peace). The poem itself is strong, especially the last stanza.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Peace starts with me, and it starts with you. Let's hope it catches on. Never give up hope, never...

Posted 12 Years Ago


I suppose the first steps to having a peace on a larger scale, moving to peace throughout the world, is to find peace within ourselves and being so kind to those near us and hope that they will do the same... if only it was so simple as that...

This is a great write Craig. Nearly painful to read in the beginning, with the harsh truths you present - and it is so beautifully written.

I'll keep believing in peace. Just think,- where would we be if no one believed in or held onto hope for peace...

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oh the power. This is a seriously expertly written piece that could only be scripted from someone with a mind like yours. Craig, your my favourite poet in the world. xxxx

Posted 12 Years Ago


Inspiring piece here, so nicely done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Imagine and hope the two most powerful words on Earth and you've done more than your bit Craig...

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1552 Views
44 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on November 14, 2011
Last Updated on November 20, 2011

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Mercy Mercy

A Story by Coyote Poetry


Goodbye Goodbye

A Poem by OT