I stood in the storm and swallowed the sky...

I stood in the storm and swallowed the sky...

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

Tornado sirens sounded and I went outside to feel the sky wrap around me…

"



















 
 
 
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
Sirens, first low-humming

rising, shrieking strumming at the sky

white fire scream-streaking growing

burning through the atmosphere

come the drums of flame

fierce burning, rumbling, deep

trembling clouds hovering

dancing in slow-motion tremors

frantic feelings fade to sacred awe

in the crispness of the air

scented breezes thrust and rush

breathing over my skin

tasting electricity in the wind

the earth alive and moving

birds soft-still and silent

as rain flees Cheshire clouds in panic

I stood in the storm

and swallowed the sky…

© 2012 An owl on the moon


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh my goodness- how the lack of punctuation flows and scream into wildness! You've captured the moments, the weather, the atmosphere, the terror, then, almost unbelievably described the gradual calm after the tornado, the settling, the slowing,'tasting electricity in the wind ~ the earth alive and moving'; then .. that last line, that gloriously vast last line, '.. and swallowed the sky...' A very different style from you but as fine as ever was. Great picture too, following your Alice theme, plus a relevant poem because of the weather in parts of your country.

Many thanks for sharing, Craig!

Posted 12 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

What a storm with your words and the calm after the storm... lovely

Posted 12 Years Ago


this is one for my library for sure...White fire scream-streaking growing, (my favourite line) every single line in this poem is absolutely magic. Thankyou.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I've never experienced a tornado but I think this was close enough...
I don't know if it's a common phrase but I loved "white fire...atmosphere"
The adventure spirit, the need to experience doom...Awesome!
All of it also reminded me of a time when I was in huge trouble...that's how everything around me seemed to be moving...in a great whirl!

Loved it :-)

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is a wild ride culminating in a very satisfying end; a frantic flow that begs you to hold on and not breath until it is over.

Posted 12 Years Ago


burning through the atmosphere
come the drums of flame

That has to be the best description of thunder and lightning. This is manic, fearless and feverishly defiant. You make some amazing movement. Fine creation.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Simply breathtaking. I loved the vividness of this, I could nearly see the entire scene unfolding. Beautiful and surreal. Excellent poem.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very overwhelming and powerful storm imagery in this. The reader gets the wild sense of the raging storm and the force that meets it. Overall, I found this poem to be very impressive and well written. I read it several times just for the pure enjoyment your poem gave me. Great job!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like the art you added, but it was not necessary to visualize this prose. The words you so carefully place give wonderful imagery that allows me feel this piece!
Always a wonderful read when I stop by! ~ Jude :-)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow Craig.
This thing almost induced a panic attack. I really felt the entire episode, my senses lit up, couldn't stop reading even to catch my breath. That brewing storm seems as much on the inside as the outside. And swallowing the sky brings it all internal in the end. It felt like someone saying, "this is my storm, I'll eat it to save the rest of you." Like when everything is falling down, but, we swallow it down, rather than to unleash it on the ones we love. Not sure if that's what you meant, but that's what I got...and it is beautiful.

Really very beautiful.
t

Posted 12 Years Ago


I'm in complete awe of this peice... Beautiful

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2631 Views
52 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on March 3, 2012
Last Updated on March 4, 2012

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..