Who pays the poet to write?

Who pays the poet to write?

A Poem by Chandradhish Ghosh

Who pays the poet to write?
Is it the hurt that dwells in the heart?
Is it the blank page, who waits eagerly to be filled?
Is it the ink which beckons to flow out?
Or is it the memories
Who keep haunting and rush out in evanescent voids of time,
To come back and haunt again?
Is it the lump in the throat
Waiting to be gulped?
Is it the blood,
Which carries the feelings from heart to head?
Or is it cannabis or alcohol,
Which carried you nearer to the truth?
Or is just the mind which pays the poet to write?
Is it the ensemble of letters,
Waiting to be made into words, sentences and finally a poem?
Or is it a dream, 
Which eagerly waits to become reality?
Or is it just emptiness?
Or is it just a satisfaction to have completed a creation?
I wonder who pays the poet to write!

© 2013 Chandradhish Ghosh


Author's Note

Chandradhish Ghosh
Any comments welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

We are compelled and each of those you mention have a part in why and what we write. I think this is a very original poem. (you might want to look at the last line and remove the w at the end of to) This is a wonderfully engaging poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


You got me in a pensive mood. Yeah, yeah. Interesting questions but I don't know the answer to that yet. Haha.

Insightful read. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


I so like the use of questions as you prod us to think and ponder what the answer is - for us, for another, for a group of writers. This is filled with thoughts of philosophy not just questions springing from your mind - they are answer provoking!
And the way you sum it all up in the end is wise!
Excellent poem my friend! It really isn't just letters on a page........is it?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Chandradhish Ghosh

10 Years Ago

Thank you Sheila...your comments are much appreciated! :)
I enjoyed this thought-provoking piece,
Thanks for sharing

Posted 10 Years Ago


Chandradhish Ghosh

10 Years Ago

Thank you again Antonyo!
That will be a commercial poet if he is paid solely to write poetry or if that was his main motives. Poetry should be personal and one which should come out natural from wells deep within ourselves. Money should not be the motivator but sharing with yourself and others your creative fruit...Bravo...:>)............

Posted 10 Years Ago


Chandradhish Ghosh

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words Sami!
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

You are welcome...:)...........
Bravo! This was great. I love the thoughtfulness this penning entices. Thanks for the thoughts. Who does pay a poet for a write? Perhaps the mere expulsion is just reward.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Chandradhish Ghosh

10 Years Ago

Thank you....indeed the mere expulsion is indeed a reward!
Wow, this one really made an impression. I have never before encountered a poem that is composed entirely of rhetorical questions and manages to do justice to the subject at hand. You have accomplished a wonderful feat here.
Who pays the poet to write? All of the above? Some of the above? None of the above? I guess different poets will pick different reasons, but then, that is the purpose of your poem. To make people ask themselves the same question and to seek those answers. I love the last line as well. Finishing a string of questions with a statement that still leaves the question wide open. What I also admired about this write is that you've made a very thorough analysis of the possibilities that may drive people to write, and, as I said before, you've posed each as a question.
Very high marks for this one for its intelligent use of technique as well as the profundity of the content. Well done!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Chandradhish Ghosh

10 Years Ago

I thank you immensely!
Augustus

10 Years Ago

I'm glad you like my reviews. I have no formal training in poetry. I'm not particularly well read ei.. read more
Augustus

10 Years Ago

You're welcome CD!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

492 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 20, 2013
Last Updated on November 11, 2013


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Guardian Guardian

A Poem by Rita L. Sev