Calcutta-my love!

Calcutta-my love!

A Story by Chandradhish Ghosh

I love Calcutta…not only because I grew up there, but because it has a feel that no other city in india does. I cannot quite say what about Kolkata makes me pine for it. Honestly speaking, infrastructures of all the other Indian metros seem to be way better than that of Calcutta. I agree the number of flyovers in Delhi or Mumbai is much more, the civic sense of people of Calcutta isn’t quite the greatest, even the roads are narrow and travelling through the city is a problem; but still there is something about the city which makes me pine for it? What is it? I had several questions in my mind.


Is it the sweet snobbishness with which people talk about literature, movies and art? Is it the timeless debating over nonsensical issues? Is it the fact that people there take more interest in your personal life than their own? Is it because of the weather which makes you feel like a winner at the end of a day’s work? Is it because of football and how people have songs dedicated to their favourite clubs? Is it because of the food? Is it because of the fact that, even today, if you have five rupees in your pocket you can eat your fill on street food? Is it because of the loud radio on the shuttle autos? Is it because of how politics still rules most arguments? Is it because of the sweet sound of Dhak during Pujo?


People call it a dying city. They say that nothing changes in Calcutta. Everything is constant. But I ask all of you, how many cities have actually withstood the test of time? Name any other Indian city which hasn’t changed? Not everything has to change everything about itself. There are some who needs to hold on to their old charm.

Can you replace an Inidan Coffee House with Barista? Can you replace football at Maidan? Do you want to? Can you replace kochuri with pizza? Can you replace a mutton tikia with barb-e-cue? Is there any replacement for phuchka? What about anandabazar, anandamela, sukhtara? If there was one Chacha Choudhury in India, there was nonte-phonte, baantul-the-great, handa-bhonda, aranyaded, most importantly Indrajal comics in Calcutta. When I grew up Tintin was published in Bengali but not in Hindi or any other Indian language. May I ask why? Although most Calcuttans have cursed it at least once, every one of them has boasted of trams in front of his non-calcuttan friends. I know how good Delhi Metro is or even Bangalore Metro is, but what about Calcutta Metro? Every station has a different story tell with respect to the paintings. Would you find it anywhere else?

I don’t know about all of you, but when I was a child there would be frequent power cuts and all of us would go down from our apartments to play in the dark. This too, absurd as it may sound, has contributed my love for Calcutta. As kids we were encouraged to speak to everyone and mingle, even if it was dark. There was some unquestionable trust that was brewed in us. Yes Calcuttans do fight a lot, but Calcuttans also make up very fast. Have you ever noticed this? Or that no matter how poor his Hindi or English is, every Calcuttan tries and somehow manages to put his point through.


Calcutta has contributed to all the Nobel Prizes won from India, from Ronald Ross to Amartya Sen. Movies of Hrittik Ghatak and Satyajit Ray are studied in most film schools. We have produced the first Olympic medal for India. Calcuttans have led the country in various fields and continue to do so. Calcuttans are even the richest in the world? Still you feel bad for the city? What else can you demand? If we think that there is something to be changed about Calcutta, why point fingers, you can start today. Calcutta resists change, but it will surely not resist a change for a better Kolkata.

© 2013 Chandradhish Ghosh


Author's Note

Chandradhish Ghosh
This is not a story, it's just an article about my city. Although I expect it to appeal to Indians or Calcuttans in general, wherever you are, you might get to know a little bit of the colonial queen called Calcutta. I would appreciate it if all those who have time, actually google the colloquial terms or even the city to understand the mindset better. And of course, any comment is welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is really beautiful hey.takes the reader into the heart of the place. I for one have always had an interest in India as a whole, i feel it's a lot like Africa in a number of ways and i wish to visit it one day hopefully. I really enjoyed reading your story hey. well written :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Chandradhish Ghosh

10 Years Ago

Thank you Cycy! you have no idea how badly I want to visit Africa...
cycy

10 Years Ago

you should hey, it's very beautiful out here, you won't want to go back, lol, your next story will b.. read more
Chandradhish Ghosh

10 Years Ago

:) surely!
What a wonderfully informative write this is. You obviously have great pride in your home town and country. Rich in imagery and beautifully written. Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


Chandradhish Ghosh

10 Years Ago

Thank you Lydia...for stopping by to read this...please please look through the other works...Thank.. read more
You have painted a wonderful picture of Calcutta it sounds like a very beautiful city ....of which you have every right to be immensely proud of....

Thank you for sharing.. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Chandradhish Ghosh

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to go through this...which city are you from?
I like to see a man proud of his city and coutry in general and have great memories in it...Bravo........................

Posted 10 Years Ago


Chandradhish Ghosh

10 Years Ago

Yes Sami...i'm an extremely proud man...both with respect to the city and the country!
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

Wow. You are welcome...:).................
I thoroughly enjoyed this piece, Chandradhish. I don't usually read extended pieces on here … time just does not allow, but I am very glad I did. The love you have for your hometown was uplifting to read.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Chandradhish Ghosh

10 Years Ago

Thank you Pryde...most importantly for your time...
I love your love of this city it makes me want to see it for myself but I fear I could never see it in all it's glory unless I could look though your eyes. I would love to see you write an ode to this marvelous love for your home.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Chandradhish Ghosh

10 Years Ago

Since you are the first to comment on it...I feel really grateful that you have taken your time to r.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

363 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 27, 2013
Last Updated on December 27, 2013