The Blonde Girl

The Blonde Girl

A Chapter by C. Lee Battaglia
"

...

"

The Blonde Girl

Written by: C. Lee Battaglia


My week couldn't have gotten any worse; I had just moved into a new school and already had a bully problem. Being short and well… defenseless, I guess I was an easy target.

        “Hey twitch! Yeah you.” Alvin the bully said.

        “Don’t call me that,” I said, regretting it.

        “Oh you poor thing.” Alvin said, walking up to me and lifted me by my shirt. Being twelve years old, he was really big.

        “Let me go!” I said, kicking frantically.

        “Alright, if you say so.” The bully said as he let go of me.

        Alvin amused by my pain, turned around and went to his class. I got up and started to cry. Despite my sad condition, I had to go to class, too, and promptly headed that way.

        The classroom I was assigned to was small, but not that bad. Most of the kids were nice and had a disability like me--dyslexia or ADHD-- but others were snobby little jerks.

        No one asked me what my name was besides the school aid, and I was feeling a little left out. I tried to fit in with the other kids, but they either already had a best friend, or just didn't want to play with the twitching freak that I was. Feeling like no one cared about me, I went to the lunch room feeling sad and depressed.

        It was there in the lunchroom that I met the blonde girl. She sat at a table alone, and had an oxygen tube running through her nose. Other than that one odd thing, she looked gorgeous with her blue eyes, pale fine skin, and blonde hair that went to her shoulders.

        At seven years old, I was curious about the blonde girl. Why did she have a tube in her nose? Could she not breathe right?


      Being the curious little kid I was walked over to her table and asked, "Why do you have a tube in your nose?"

      She shyly said, "I have cancer."

      I had no clue what that was at the time so I asked, "What's that?"

      She smiled and said, "I have bad stuff in my brain and the doctors try to fix it."

I thought it was contagious so I took a step backwards and said, "Can I catch it?"

      "No I was born with it. Don't worry your safe." The blonde girl said smiling at me.

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Sara. What's yours?"

"Chase."

      "Why are you shaking so bad?" Sara asked as she noticed my arms.

      "I twitch when I'm nervous. I have ADHD and Dyslexia."

      "Oh. You don't need to be nervous. I'm nice." Sara said still smiling.

"I can't help it. I'm a freak." I said flatly.

"You are not a freak. You are a nice person." Sara said shaking her head.

      "Everyone calls me a freak though."

      "Just because someone calls you something it doesn't mean it's true." Sara said as she looked me in the eyes.

      *

Throughout the day, Sara and I had continually bumped into each other in the hall. And during those brief moments of us being together, I felt better. It didn't take me long to realize that it was because of Sara. 

She has super powers! I thought to myself. It was as if just being around her I felt like nothing bad had happened to me throughout the day. 

After school Sara and I walked home together.

"Do you want to come over to my house and play?" I asked her.

"I would have to ask my mom first." She said smiling at me.

"Oh okay." I paused to think, "How long would that take you?"

"As long as it takes me to get home." Sara laughed.

"Oh. Okay." I said blushing.

We walked for a bit the Sara said, "Well my house is over there." She said pointing down the street. "I'll see you in a bit."

"Okay bye Sara." I said as I walked across the street.

Once Sara was out of sight I ran all the way home. I have a friend! I couldn't wait to tell my mom.

I ran up to my door and went inside as I yelled, "Mom, I got a new friend today."

She was in the kitchen making dinner as she asked, "Oh and what's his name?"

"It's a her." I said.

"Okay Mr. Sassy Pants. What's her name?" She questioned with a smile.

"Sara. And she has lancer." I said in a jumble of words.

"What? slow down buster... She has what?"

"Her name is Sara and she has lancer." I said smiling at the plate of apples and peanut butter my mom was making for me.

"Do you mean cancer?" She asked.

"Oh yeah. That’s it." I said taking a apple with peanut butter on it.

"She's coming over to play in a bit. I'll be outside waiting for her.

"Okay that's fine." My mom said.

As soon as I finished my snack, I went outside to wait for The Blonde Girl.

*

Once she finally got here I noticed that there was a woman with her that resembled Sara in a way. I figured that was her mother with her.

"Hi Chase." Sara said running up to me.

"Is that your mom?" I asked pointing a finger at the lady.

"Uh-hu." Sara said.

"Well, do you guys want to come inside to meet my mom?" I asked.

"Sure." They both said.

We walked inside and I said, "Mom, Sara and her mom is here to meet you."

She came around the corner and said, "Hello, I'm Chase's Mom." She said shaking Sara's Mom's hand.

"Hi I'm Crystal Sara's mom."

My mom crouched down next to Sara, "You're very pretty."

"Thanks." Sara said shyly.

As our mother's continued to talk I asked Sara, "Do you want to go outside and go play in my tree house?"

"Sure. Mom Chase and I are going outside to play."

"Okay that's fine." Crystal said.

We walked outside and went down to the wash where my tree house was built last summer.

"This is awesome!" Sara said staring at the Tree house.

It had a rope ladder and even windows inside. We had placed some old pillows inside to sit on.

We climbed up and inside Sara asked me, "Why did you come and talk to me at lunch? No one ever does."

"I don't know... I just had this feeling." I said honestly.

"Well, I'm glad you did." She said slowly taking my hand.

Right then I knew that she was my half that made me whole. As I blushed I said, "Let's be best friends."

She smiled then said, "Best friends forever!"

"Forever!" I cheered.

We both laughed and smiled.

*

Well school was never the same after 5th grade. The first few leaves were falling as Fall just begun. The bell had rang and Sara and I had stayed after school to work on a history project together.

As we were finishing up, Sara looked at me and took my hand. 

"Where are we going?" I asked her.

"Just come on. We don't have that much time."

"Time for what?" I asked obviously confused. 

Sara didn't answer with her words, she turned towards me and everything had suddenly felt as if it had went into slow motion. She closed her beautiful blue eyes, and leaned in to kiss me. I was awestruck, petrified, up to this moment in my life, kids had said kissing was gross. 

As her lips touched mine, I looked at her and knew that I loved her. As she pulled away, she blushed harder then ever before, "I'm sorry... I just thought-" I cut her off and kissed her back. 

I pulled back and took her hand, "Don't be."

Sara's smile radiated, "I love you Chase."

Right then I thought  that our, forever was forever.

"I love you too," 

But I was wrong.

*

      As we grew up, Sara had more and more surgeries.

I was over at her house when her mother broke down into tears. Sara and I we’re in the living room, playing a board game. I looked at Sara and she had tears in her eyes, “Why are you crying?” I asked her.

She took my hand and whispered to me, “I don’t want my Mom to be sad when I’m gone… She’s given me everything and I just want her to be happy.”

It was those words that actually hit me… She didn’t have that much time left. I squeezed her hand, “Don’t talk like that… You know that we are going to be best friends forever. Right?”

She just looked at me for a moment and smiled, “Yes, forever.”


*

     After she went through her last surgery, I went to see her at the hospital, and as I entered her room that was decorated with the many incredible drawings that she made and a few of the ones that I made for her. She really had a way of lighting up a room.

As I looked at her, I saw that same gorgeous girl. The girl who changed my life for the better. The girl who was my best friend. The girl that I loved.

"Chase. I-" She broke down into tears and I held her hand and started to cry also.

      "I want to tell you that I will always love you." I said leaning onto her shoulder.

      She held me for awhile until I said, "I will always be with you."

      I kissed her and just held onto her. I couldn’t lose her! She was my everything!

      "Chase, If I don't make it I want you to remember-"

      "Stop! Don't talk like that. You're not going to leave me."

After a few minutes of us holding onto each other she told me, "I love you…” She looked at me sadly, “But now I've got to rest. I have a big surgery tomorrow." She said it as if it were a test and tried to cheer me up.

      Reluctantly I stood up and kissed her good bye, "I love you. I will be here tomorrow."

But I never got to see her again.

*

The next day I rode my bike as fast as I possibly could. I made it to the hospital and ran up the flight of stairs.

I made it to her room but what I saw was a fresh made bed, and on the table was a vase of sunflowers.

      I asked a nurse, "Where's Sara?"

      She looked at me with puffy red eyes and said, "She didn't make it through the night."

      My heart broke into a million pieces. My ears were ringing, my eyes were running like a waterfall, and my breathing was ragged… The Blonde Girl was gone. My best friend... my love... gone.

I ran out of the hospital and forgot my bike. I ran and ran and ran until I tripped and scraped up both of my knees. Once I finally got home, I went to my room and slammed the door. My only friend was gone. She was only twelve years old when she passed.

At the end of every day I think about her… How she influenced my life for the better… How she made who I am today. She changed my life by being my best friend. She gave me the confidence to stand up for myself when no one else would. That I was worth something, that I have a purpose in this life.


To the blonde girl




© 2018 C. Lee Battaglia


Author's Note

C. Lee Battaglia
This is part one out of two...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It's interesting seeing that this will become part of something longer. The story is very beautiful and inspirational and touching, and I'm intrigued to see where you'll take it. I meant to ask last time I read this story but forgot: did you draw the picture? It's pretty good. Better than anything I could have drawn.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

C. Lee Battaglia

6 Years Ago

Thank you Hannah. I am almost done with part two. And yeah :) I drew the picture. She always said th.. read more



Reviews

Omg I’m crying
This is so beautiful and sad but happy that she was your friend from the time you met you bonded
You had an angel with blonde hair she helped you made you who you are and this is beautifully written
I loved it

Posted 4 Years Ago


Absolutely heartbreaking, but what a beautiful experience. To be loved and to love. It is the greatest thing in this life. We can only hope to have a "Sara" in our life to show us just how fragile life is. Always enjoy the handholding, never turn down a genuine kiss, and love authentically. Friends forever! Transcends time.

Posted 4 Years Ago


wow! a very emotive & well written story, i assume it's your biography.
chris had a link in one of his poems to your story, im glad i followed it through.
cheerio carola

Posted 4 Years Ago


If this is based on reality you have really written a fine love story with all the elements that make love amazing to love so much and lose so much brings tears to my eyes i can only think love hurts i've often had the odd notion love doesn't bring us what we want but what we need

Posted 4 Years Ago


I loved this. What more can I say....

Posted 4 Years Ago



Firstly, I got to than Chris who pointed me in your direction.. and then of course You sir.. I truly enjoyed The Blonde Girl, it held my attention throughout and proved to be a most credible and otherwise moving chapter indeed...

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

C. Lee Battaglia

4 Years Ago

Which chris is this? could you link me back to him? Thank you for this review!
Time is so evil, yet it feels like there is never enough of it

Posted 4 Years Ago


This is so damn real, which to me is the mark of fine and heartfelt storytelling. I will get to part 2, but for now, I am content to store this in my mind for a while.

Seen a lot in my life; you know, things adding up year on year and not a great deal touches me ever so deeply nowadays, but this did it for me.

T

Posted 4 Years Ago


Well you certainly made my morning. Thought my heart might explode. Truly staggering honesty and a real tribute to what friends and lovers should be. Startling and oh so sad, I loved it a lot. Great work!!

Posted 4 Years Ago


welcome to the Cafe' Chase! before anything more I want to tell you I am sorry for the loss you carry for Sara ... i think it is an honor to read your story about you two ....
This is a story that happened to you ... I am inspired by the fortitude you show in your life ... I am a retired RN who worked in Pediatric Intensive Care and, were time a place convenient, could easily have been part of your care team :) The title is a great hook for me ... wanted to read the whole thing just from that .. the theme of courage in adversity and victorious spirit found in small places is universal and, i think, the best of humanity ...
the POV is 1st person in this and tells us parts of the story from different age perspectives .. the transitions are not clear to me ... and so there is a little boy who innocently says whats that thing in your nose .. to returning a kiss and is in love ... certainly not an impossible thing but might find strength in transition and clarity :) just a suggestion you might want to try is to write this story in 3rd person ... see where it leads you ... what things you focus on that are different ... there is so much in this that makes me want to know more so I am on toe read Chapter 2 .... well done! nice to meet you ... just keep writing ... and reading :) tho you have no need for encouragement in that dept. :)))))))))))))))
E.
ps Chris suggested we check this out ;)

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

593 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 12, 2018
Last Updated on April 12, 2018
Tags: cancer, heartbreak, relatable, dark, sad


Author

C. Lee Battaglia
C. Lee Battaglia

Alpine, UT



About
My name is C. Lee Battaglia and I love to read… I read so much that my Mom grounds me from reading and tells me to go do something else. I am 20 years old. I hated reading when I was little .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


"Real..." "Real..."

A Poem by Chris


Reclaimed Reclaimed

A Poem by Chris Shaw