Grandma, It’s Me!!

Grandma, It’s Me!!

A Poem by Chelsea
"

A poem about my Grandmother when she had Alzheimer's disease.

"

Grandma, It’s Me!!

Do you remember?

The time you drew me a picture of a horse

Your wrinkled beautiful hands

Shakily sketched me a picture

 

Do you remember?

The time you spent smiling at me

Your skin breaks into lines

Each with a story to tell

 

Do you remember?

Our walk in the cemetery

Hand in hand

As we visited our lost loved ones

 

Do you remember?

Asking if it were okay to ditch the lunch

For a giant chocolate coated,

Doughnut!!

 

Do you remember?

The time you forgot me

Your eyes vacant

As if there wasn’t a sight to be seen

 

I remember

Watching Alzheimer’s take you

Day by day

Until you were no more

© 2011 Chelsea


Author's Note

Chelsea
I lost my Grandma a couple of years ago, to Alzheimer disease. I didn't know her well, but it was still sad to see her go. I just wrote a few of my favourite memories of her! Please review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

My gran suffered from Alzheimers too, it hit my mum especially hard as gran couldn't remember her name anymore. :( Your poem reminds me of the things my mum reminisces about when she thinks of her. After all it's the little moments we hold dear.
Lovely poem, thank you.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I'm sorry for what you went through, i would not wish that onto anybody.
Beautifully written, well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so emotional.. i'm sorry for your loss..my grand aunt also suffers from it.. it's a beautiful piece

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was beautiful in a very sad way.
I enjoyed reading it thanks for sharing.

Kelley

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i know how it feels after knowing that you loose a precious thing...
nice poem....very sad indeed..

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I believe that Alxheimer's is one of the worst diseases in the world. Can you imagine feeling that you are losing your mind?
As you know, my grandma has alzheimers, so I can relate to this poem. I miss the old her alot. Its so sad going and visiting her, she remembered me the last time I saw her though! Atually asked me how my brother was!
But she doesn't like living in the home that she's in, and it breaks my heart. I wished that there was a cure.
to end this review on a happier note, I'll share on of my favourite memorys about my grandma: She came to our place for a couple of weeks around Christmas, we went skating and she sat in a lawn chair and watched us. Us kids also pushed her around on the ice, and then we followed all of Christmas traditions with her, it was fun:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh how bittersweet this touching poem was to me. Alzheimer's is such a wicked disease, completely changing the personality of the the afflicted. My Grandmother's best friend had it. We would go visit her and she would start to make dinner for us 4 or 5 times during one visit. We had to talk her out of it several times. Making our visits very tiring and stressful. She got meaner and meaner at the end, which wasn't like her personality at all.

Sweet memories in your poem, I loved skipping lund for chocolate covered donuts. Terrific!

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

great poem, really liked the repetition and the emotion was expressed wonderfully, nice job :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

i lost my grandma a couple years ago to diabetes. it sucks watching the one person you love just go away. i loved her so much. i miss her like crazy

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sadly poinent. I can understand the feeling of feeling lost since I myself am dealing with my aging grandma who is starting to become forgetful herself. It's good to remember all the good times. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

It is sad to lose someone to Alzheimer disease. I believe we need to talk to them and make then feel loved. We must return the gifts they gave us throughout our life. A powerful and sad story. Thank you for sharing and writing.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1312 Views
33 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 28, 2011
Last Updated on January 28, 2011

Author

Chelsea
Chelsea

Canada



About
Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance. - Carl Sandburg Hello! Thank you for checkin’ out my page on the café! My name is Chelsea or Chels. I’m fifteen years old, your .. more..

Writing
Gun in School Gun in School

A Story by Chelsea



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Baby Bird Baby Bird

A Poem by Chelsea


Addicted To You Addicted To You

A Poem by Bubo