Toast

Toast

A Poem by Chelsea
"

To the glass... That ruined me.

"

Toast

Party rages

Amongst the seas of drunks….

a pregnant mother

Takes a sip of alcohol

 

Floating around

In her mother’s inside

A developing baby

Soaks in the alcohol

 

The mother is ready

Ready to birth this baby

Little does she know….

What she’s done

 

The baby fights its way out

Of her mother

But look…

Something’s not quite right

 

Toast to the glass

That glass of wine

That was the ruining of a child

Yet nothing to the Mother


Please read author's note....

© 2011 Chelsea


Author's Note

Chelsea
True story. My Mom drank when she was pregnant, I have FAS (foetal alcohol syndrome). I don’t have any birth defects, as I know it can do. I just have parts in school and learning that I just cannot due to a drink my Mother had. For example math, I can read equations a million times, have them explained a hundred different ways..... Yet nothing can make sense. I cannot be put on the spot, I just blank out. I have all sorts of quarks like that.... Because of alcohol. It makes me angry. Just because she wanted to part and drink I’m left with this brain, that sometimes is hard to deal with.
I ask that you leave this poem with a true message. That when pregnant you do not pick up a glass. It damages your baby as I know.
Please review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm so sorry that that happen to you. My mom went sky diving when she was pregnant with me (but she didn't know she was pregnant).
thankfully i don't think is wrong with me, but who knows.
anyway, that must be very frustrating for you.
but i am glad that you wrote about it, maybe other soon to be mothers will see this poem and learn a lesson from it now instead of other kids having to pay for their mother's mistakes. very powerfully written piece btw.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

that sucks:(. sorry to hear that! But at least its not as bad as it can be...and thats a pain about the math, but hey next year you might be able to chose what kind you want to take! and you get a in other subjects. I know it must make you angry, when somethings hard because your mom drank, but maybe your mom drank before she knew that she was pregnet?


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The flow of this poem is perfect. It really gets the message across. You did an amazing job with it. It's quite sad, though, just having to only be able to imagine all you probably go through, physically and mentally.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This puts fear into my heart and mind as the mother of my stepdaughter said she didn't realize she was pregnant until she was 28 weeks along and during that time she had drank, smoked, and did other countless and ignorant things a pregnant mother should never do. My stepdaughter does not have any deformities either... but she is just five and we rarely see her and never see her progress in learning at the day cares, so it's hard to know if it's affected her. And reading this poem and hearing your story breaks my heart and makes me fear of what might come of all of this. I am truly sorry for what your mother did to you and I hate you have to struggle because of her selfish acts... may God bless you one of these days with something greater, but keep up with your strength and your writing... because you are a blessing from God and you are here to prove that FAS can't bring you down and you can fight to make sure other mothers don't fall into the same ignorant ways. Again, please keep writing and fighting for what is right.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I cannot possibly understand what you go through daily because of alcohol. But i do sympathise as i have seen first hand how alcohol ruins a family. I come from a family of proud alcoholics who've ended up dead due to stupid circumstances and horribly fatal terminal illnesses. I hate alcohol and all it has done to people around me so i have shunned it forever.
Your words'll sting anyone who reads this and has experienced similar problems...so trust me when i tell you nothing happens for coincidence. You are made as you are for a reason and your beautiful words will one day heal someone broken and in the same situation as you.
Keep strong and others will one day remember you for your strength and resilience. Sorry for my length review but this is a powerful poem and it's touched me deeply...it should be read by everyone. Wonderful-->never give in

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so sad, I wish no mother in the whole world would ever drink while she's pregnant :(
As we all know alcohol is a bad thing.
This is a great piece but yet so sad.
Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!

~A Fallen Heroine~

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh, i'm sorry that happened to you, because of someone else beng irressponsibe your the one being punished for it, it annoys me too.
Great poem though

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm sorry to hear that...this is truely a sad piece...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

949 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 13, 2011
Last Updated on February 13, 2011
Tags: drink, mother, alochol, ruined

Author

Chelsea
Chelsea

Canada



About
Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance. - Carl Sandburg Hello! Thank you for checkin’ out my page on the café! My name is Chelsea or Chels. I’m fifteen years old, your .. more..

Writing
Gun in School Gun in School

A Story by Chelsea



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..