Nothing

Nothing

A Story by Chelsea
"

Story of a homeless man's life ending.

"

Nothing

The old man scratches his beard. His beard is wisps of silver thread, woven into a smattering of grease.


The wind rebels in invisible screams across the gloomy skies. Rain falls upon the sidewalk, pooling into a gentle river.


The old man sits in the river. He wears a shiny yellow raincoat, which repels the beaded rain droplets. His legs are covered in rain pants; yellow, to match the jacket. On his feet he wears shiny boots made of gummy rubber. If only...

The old man sits in the river. He wears a torn old t-shirt. The writing is so faded the words are lost in age. His legs are exposed in his jeans, the denim is shredded. His feet are soaked; they are only shielded but old rotting meshed runners. The man shivers, as water penetrates him like cold icy needles.


People cruise the mirrored streets in cars and crusty old trucks. None, ever look in his direction. Except to taunt and tease.


He’s alone, sitting in the rain. He licks away the raindrops but they have a salty taste.


He’s eating his own tears.


“I have nothing,” is his final thought.

He dies on the street.

© 2011 Chelsea


Author's Note

Chelsea
I have a soft spot for the homeless. I saw one and it just broke my heart so I had to write about it. I cannot image, living on the streets and nothing to show for. Please review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow. That was deep. Short but very emotional. Your use of description and the fluency in your writing is astonishing. There were only a few minor grammatical errors, but nothing serious. I loved the ending: "He's alone, sitting in the rain. He licks away the raindrops but they have a salty taste. He's eating his own tears. I have nothing, is his final thought. He dies on the street."
The world can be a cruel, brutal place at times. People forget about the poor and needy; they are happy to get on with their own lives, not caring about the people who are unfortunate or inferior to them. There are just so many people who are homeless and sick, that nobody cares anymore. But it is a very difficult problem to fix. It shows a really good perspective on how people perceive one another and the dark isolated cruelty that streets provide for their inhabitants. Very touching and intense

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow this was harsh and sad.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

hi,
this is really good. Kat24

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

nicely portrayed


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This should been longer but super , it is ashame to see our own people like this Where is justice when the taxes and Lotty have all the money , you cant blame the world only the people

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

As you probably know I don't often read or review stories. Your title drew me to this one. It is as much a poem as it is a story. This type of story cuts directly into my heart drawing out the expression of compassion which I try to keep under the surface. I read this with tears in my eyes. Lonliness is mankinds worst affliction. To be in a city of thousands yet alone is just so awful! I get a sense that you have much more to write of this man and this may well be an outline of a chapter. You have a huge book within you just bursting to come out. Do us all a favour and give it a try.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow. This was so sad. Such a good way to portray it, though. Very well-written.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, i can really relate to your feelings, some of us take our cushy little live for granted and yet we forget about those less fortunate, it's wrong that people still live like this, so much for a civilised world.
Great work though, very thought provoking:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1064 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 17, 2011
Last Updated on February 21, 2011
Tags: homeless, beard, greasy, nothing, die, streets, pavement, nobody, cold

Author

Chelsea
Chelsea

Canada



About
Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance. - Carl Sandburg Hello! Thank you for checkin’ out my page on the café! My name is Chelsea or Chels. I’m fifteen years old, your .. more..

Writing
Gun in School Gun in School

A Story by Chelsea



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..