Chapter One: The Man I Am

Chapter One: The Man I Am

A Chapter by Chelsea

Chapter One: The Man I Am

I enter the Principal’s office. The overwhelming smell of Fantastic cleaner ruptures my nose. The floors glint of virginity under the yellow lights. The walls are spotless white, except for the perfectly straight photographs hung upon the walls. My guess is not far off, Fantastic cleaner.


The principal sits behind her desk. The desk is made of beach wood and looks as if it’d been smothered in lip gloss. Her spine is rigidly straight against the back of the chair. The chair matches the desk, beach wood, but it’s cushioned with a purple fabric cover on the seat.


She sits behind her station. Her hair is pulled back in a tight bun, exposing her broad forehead. Her eyes are circled with pale brown lines. Her face looks as if it’s about to shatter. Being held in this fixed state, of superior for so long, has taken its toll. A once young, playfully beautiful face is worn and ragged.


I sink into a chair. Its hard plastic back tries to kick me out. But I try and sing in harmony with its grooved back. I am settled when I notice, the principle stairs at me, it intimidates me slightly. We sit in silence for what feels like hours. However the clock reads a mere sixty seconds, we sit like this. Our eyes narrowed at one another, in angry glares.


“Mathew,” the Principle finally breaks the silence with.


I put my hands in to the bottoms of my pockets; they rub against the warm coins stored in them. I turn my stares from the Principle to look out the window. Outside is the scurrying activity of kids evacuating school, it’s three o’ clock. I feel the penetrating gaze of the Principle; however I don’t wish to acknowledge that she spoke to me.


“Mathew,” the Principle repeats.


“What,” I mumble.


The words are hard to speak, I have to spit them from my crazy glued lips. For so long I’ve been a man of few words, in hopes of shutting away people.


“I must ask you to leave this school,” the Principle says.


I nod and walk out of the room. In the back of my mind simmers a pot of trouble.  

 



© 2011 Chelsea


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I agree with Jim on what he said about writing longer chapters. I have a great suggestion for you. Every day I sit down to write at least four pages of material for my book. That's after I write down major plot points. Your descriptions for this chapter are great. It really helps to add the to imagination of the read. The line that reads, "I enter the Principal’s office." should read as "I entered the Principal’s office." Also the line that reads "My guess is not far off, Fantastic cleaner." Is Fantastic an actual brand of cleaner, or is it your own made up brand name? You have to be careful including trademarked names into your novel without permission. Also do a search and replace for the word principle to change to principal. That will correct that. Why not give the principal a name though?

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I wonder what he did that got him sent to the principal's office...i like the descripition and the detail of what's going on outside, but I'm left in the dark about why he was there in this first place...or maybe you'll explain that later...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i like it so far can't wait to read more tell me when you have more up :D

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

And you told me you were no good at writing stories, ha, this was really good. I wish i could write with the same description as you, it really set the scene well and brought me into that room.
Great so far, keep em coming:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The description of the clean floor and table makes everything seem so perfect, when I know that it isn't. Matthew being excluded from school will lead him down a downward spiral and be deprecating for his life. I wonder how this will turn out.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Man, Just like that huh...... This is really got me interested chels..... Great work

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was definitely something i'd like to continue reading. Good job

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this is very good but why is mathew in the Principle's office and what is the reasoning for him being told to leave??? other wise very good writting cant wait to see what happends next!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very good

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow I love how you did that.

Posted 13 Years Ago


this is very good but why is mathew in the Principle's office and you should like describe mathew a little more....try not to rush in to things so quickly

100/100

Posted 13 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1042 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 19, 2011
Last Updated on February 20, 2011


Author

Chelsea
Chelsea

Canada



About
Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance. - Carl Sandburg Hello! Thank you for checkin’ out my page on the café! My name is Chelsea or Chels. I’m fifteen years old, your .. more..

Writing
Gun in School Gun in School

A Story by Chelsea



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Show Me Show Me

A Poem by Chelsea