Haunted House

Haunted House

A Poem by Damian Alan Gray
"

I'd like to dedicate this one to Genie for her inspiring words of encouragement.

"

Long have I stood abandoned, and in quiet despair.
Ominous, I suppose, to the innocent eyes looking upon my face with fear.
I have not always been in this neglected state of corruption,
Though my broken shutters and over grown ivy indicate this is a lie.
Only a long forgotten dream of an old man.

Alas, I seem to recall a time of joyous laughter ringing throughout my now dilapidated halls.
A time when people did not look at me with disgust and loathing;
Rather, with awe and admiration of my beauty.
A time when color adorned my many rooms.
A time when loves and passions flared within my hearth.
A time when…
when…


A time when they all left me.
Left me to stand in silence to quietly fall apart.
Silent, that is, with exception given to the ghosts who frequently wail within.
Oh yes, please don’t misunderstand, I am indeed quite haunted.
The feelings of fear from those who stand aghast are not completely unfounded.
But, they are fools!
They stand outside my rusted iron gates, trembling in fright at the sounds they will not dare to look upon.
They blame me for the sounds of these damnable ghosts and throw their stones, then run away laughing and screaming…
God, it hurts.
 

© 2012 Damian Alan Gray


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

It is worth the risk I am taking to speak on behalf of the shudders. For all intense purpose, to resist the temptation to stand up for the shudders is almost in betrayal of them as I believe the writer of this amazing piece knows full well by his comment; what to mention them says about them and what not to mention it means. To walk away is to take the piece with me(haunted). To leave the poor old house cold and shuddering, standing there freezing and alone just feels so wrong on so many levels. This piece is beauty in its finest form and suits you, Damian, with a refined taste, redefined. Forgive me to fail to resist the temptation to speak on behalf of it as a place where ghost meets ghost.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I love this poem for so many reasons. 1. I LOVE haunted houses. I would gladly live in one. Lol. 2. It's very original how you link your soul with the cursed soul of this house. The description is so colourful yet depressing, boasting signs of delapidation and the extinct will to live.
Wonderful work!

-Luke



Posted 15 Years Ago


I often wonder that if inanimate objects could speak, what would they say. Can you imagine the stories that would unfold? Your Haunted House just does it for me Damian, I can totally take this from the houses point of view. You know, I recently visited a very old and prestigious antique place here in New Hampshire and after wandering through the various rooms of things long forgotten, I could almost hear each piece whispering of a history left untold. You give new meaning to the term "if these walls could talk".

Just imagine what they would say....

~Lorna Lee

Posted 16 Years Ago


i like the imagery that you put into this..... very enjoyable piece

Posted 16 Years Ago


This was very good, and I liked how it's as if you are in the house's mind, and even more surprising is that the house actually has a mind! and feelings! I really liked it. Thanks for sharing.

Elise

Posted 16 Years Ago


I really liked the way the house was personified. It kind of makes me view my house in a different way, and think more about its history than its appearence and qualities...

Excellente!

Posted 16 Years Ago


Well, I'm sorry, but I think there IS a poet living here! With some minor line tweaks here and there -- and changing 'shudders' to 'shutters' -- you've got a good poem here. You've seen, heard, and captured for us the readers what we might not be able to ourselves, you've heard the voice, the cries from the literal insides of the house as only a poet can -- and now we can too, thanks to you. You've taken me back to all the old, decrepit, abandoned, 'haunted' houses I've known over my years, and you've called up all the similar thoughts and images I had. I believe there's a way of listening and seeing that only a poet possesses, and this poem shows you have that.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

an excellent piece of prose.
full of raw longing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

255 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 14, 2008
Last Updated on December 29, 2012

Author

Damian Alan Gray
Damian Alan Gray

Spring Hill, FL



About
Damian Alan Gray is not an author, he is a writer. The difference being, of course, that an author's daily routine normally includes scheduling interviews with Oprah and book signings at Barnes and No.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..