metronome

metronome

A Poem by Marie Harrison
"

a poem about the pressures to conform

"

 

metronome

 

keeping me in perfect precision

with the demands

of the world

to conform

 

to stay

in the restricting confines

of this awkward box

 

while the

world

twirls


 

© 2010 Marie Harrison


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow. that floored me. very good. i like the imagery.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I feel your claustrophobia, Marie. I understand 100 percent.
Sometimes we have to break our box with our hands and get out, walk against traffic.
Anyways, great structure and emphasis in the last few lines. Has a nice rhythm to it, too.

Great work. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like this, we have always constricted ourselves, it is only the artists and the truly driven that have the will to live outside the box. It's so hard to get outside of the box, it takes almost a Herculean effort to climb out and make the world revolve around us instead.

Posted 12 Years Ago


A bit of non-conformity keeps it real, and fresh.

Posted 12 Years Ago


tick tick tick...

Chris

Posted 12 Years Ago


This poem is so nice. It expresses the restrictions of conformity so well and also the expectations of the world to conform. The hopes of the world that all will conform without question is ridiculous. If we all followed in that path of conformity then there would be no intrigue and no beauty in the world. Conformity kills beauty. So we must not conform. Conformity kills individuality, and therefore the soul of the individual. Because conformity is designed to limit growth of the individual and of all possibilites. It despises the indivdual and does not care for their needs.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I might stay in the box if its for my loved ones, else i wouldn't, staying within norms for the sake of love and loved ones is also a pleasure.... nice poem....

Posted 12 Years Ago


I don't know about you Marie but I would be the stick blowing straight out of that box, I will not tick for anyone nor will I keep time for anyone else......I shall never conform. Love this!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like the spacing between the words. It gives the impression that everything has to be synchronised with everything else

Posted 12 Years Ago


You breathe out the rhythm and share the constricting crush of the world around us.. pressing in on all sides... Freedom longs to be found here in your longing.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

482 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 29, 2010
Last Updated on June 19, 2010
Tags: Life, Conformity, Rules

Author

Marie Harrison
Marie Harrison

Atlanta, GA



About
Momma told me to get out and enjoy life, so now I'm going to dance. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Envy Envy

A Poem by Tate Morgan