Hammer Time

Hammer Time

A Story by Marie Harrison
"

A coed story from college.

"

Hammer Time

 

The crunch of the snow and the bright sunshine jars me awake each time my eyelids close.  I’ve been  driving for hours and now I’m walking too.  My car broke down in the middle of a country road on my way back to college. 

How will I ever get out of this situation and back to school?  I packed a rusty old hammer in my backpack for self defense. 

It belonged to my late Papa Joe.  He’d want me to be armed with some type of defense, might as well have been his trusted hammer that he never used.

At the top of the hill I see a old rusted mobile home.  I can hear the clanging of the wind chimes echo from a distance.  This is my chance. 

Oh this could be bad.  I feel like I’m trapped in a cult Deliverance film.  I don’t feel like squealing like a pig either!  

Perhaps I should have my backpack unzipped, in case I need instant access to my trusted hammer.  Those self-dense classes they offered in our dorm would be handy right now, if I would have taken them.  I was too busy painting my toe nails.

I’m getting closer now.  It’s much easier walking down the hill than up the hill.  Oh this place is pretty beat up.   I hear a fierce tiny dog barking now.  He sounds like he’s inside. 

I’m ringing the door bell and I hear it ring too. Now the dog is rapidly barking and charging with all of his force against the door. He’s pretty strong! 

I see a curtain move and a bloody red eyeball with a blue iris look out. Oh hell!

My heart is beating almost out of my chest.  There’s a long extended pause were we are staring at each other. His eyebrow looks really hairy! 

Suddenly, I take off running back to my car.  I hope I don’t have a heart attack!  I was too afraid. I’m such a big chicken!  

What if a hammer wasn’t enough?   Oh my, this hill is killing me!  The freshman 10 is kicking my butt now.  Too many quarters games.  Too much beer drinking this quarter in college.

Thank goodness I made it back to the safety of my dead car!  I’ll try starting the car again. Maybe the gods will give me a break and let it start? 

Oh yeah, it’s started!  Thank you God!  I don’t think my pride would let me go back to the mobile home.  That little dog was fierce and his owner might be too!

 

 

 

© 2010 Marie Harrison


Author's Note

Marie Harrison
Old memory from college when I was a freshman, my first semester. I went to a suitcase college my first year and I was going back to school on a Sunday afternoon in the mid of winter.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a great piece of work, Marie, I'm impressed! I think that this is quite a great story partly beacause it comes from a personal experience and partly because you're just a good writer. But I do think that just knowing that this was a real story and its a personal experience enhancesthe reality of this story and makes it more suspenseful.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

How will I ever get out of this situation and back to school? I packed a rusty old hammer in my backpack for self defense...I thought the first line of this was weak and too corny. One of those: Will he make it? Read on to find out, kind of things.

used the word rusty and rustied too close togehter.

I thought this whole story was nothing but telling. I think you need to add to it and fix it up, stop with the I did this, he said that type stuff.

Sorry for the bad review.

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A great story you told with a great mix of humor and suspense. Good job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a great piece of work, Marie, I'm impressed! I think that this is quite a great story partly beacause it comes from a personal experience and partly because you're just a good writer. But I do think that just knowing that this was a real story and its a personal experience enhancesthe reality of this story and makes it more suspenseful.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Marie, you are a great story teller! I kept waiting for the hammer to connect on someones skull! Lol

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this , the easiest way to be 'original' is to write about yourself , we get to reflect on our lives in your story, sharing fears and hope and some lessons learned .

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very interesting tale. I was going to ask if it was a true story about you or a friend, but your notes section let me know it was a true story. Must have been scary as hell at the time. The way you wrote it, it makes on think they are you and in that time and place. Great job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

At least you ran back to your car unlike how often young girls in movies stick around, they'd probably have waited for that 'creature' peering out the window to answer the door! I'm sure glad you got out of there, anyway. That had to have been one really scary moment!

Posted 13 Years Ago


WoW...i don't usually read stories-but this is awesome!!!

"Thank goodness I made it back to the safety of my dead car! I’ll try starting the car again. Maybe the gods will give me a break and let it start?"

...impressive...a magnificently intense write--i love it!!!

james:-)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm no expert when it come to stories but but this one comes together very well. Plus it brought back memories when I went to school. I had to laugh at the part about the hammer in the backpack, good one.
Overall, great job, well done

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

hard times is always nice to story after :) great one!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

666 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 26, 2010
Last Updated on July 26, 2010
Tags: Fear, Travel, Nostalgia, Life Lessons, Teen Story

Author

Marie Harrison
Marie Harrison

Atlanta, GA



About
Momma told me to get out and enjoy life, so now I'm going to dance. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..