To Walk In The Rain

To Walk In The Rain

A Story by Marie Harrison
"

A story about months of walking in the rain.

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To Walk In the Rain

As the cold rain blew, I kept walking for miles with my petite  dogs walking along with me.  We were a little family and so we were in this healing thing together.  We had to walk this out as a united family. Besides, dogs like to walk, don't they?

 

I carried a big red umbrella holding it over them.  The rain gently washed the warm tears from my face and kindly masked my face as I cried.  I sobbed and sobbed as I walked.  Often pleading to God to end my pain or begging him to strike me dead swiftly with lightening.

 

As the thunder roared and my ire soared, I could yell with hostile anger as loud as I wished to yell.  Hours of walking in the rain is the only thing that eased my pain. Believe me I tried everything.

 

My dogs must have thought that I had gone insane.  For months at night all we did was walk in the rain endlessly.  Only when spring came and the birds chirped at us did the sun dry away all of my tears.

 

Every night we still walked but not as many miles as before, not until we were soaked.  I walked so much that I wore the soles of my tennis shoes out.  But it was all I could do to medicate my pain and sooth my broken heart, to walk in the rain.

 

Thank goodness for the cleansing rain. The constant rain gently holding my shoulders tightly,while consoling and healing me as I walked my frustrations out.  Until, I finally ran out of tears that year. Mother Nature and my dogs really were my best friends that year in the rain.

 

© 2010 Marie Harrison


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great story telling. This did justice in the realm of getting the message across. Great message. There's lot of times where a story can have a great message to aim for, and have a lot of under lining things but then no one gets it, and if no one gets it, then the point has failed. But in my opinion this did well to get the message across. You made it clear, which is why I think it's good. Keep up the good work. What was also great was that I could imagine the story as I read it, and that is also a strong point of stories. The ability to have the reader imagine it because after all we're reading not watching it, but it was as if I was there as I read this, and that is great. Good job once again.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I like this. The rain is very therapeutic for me.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I can imagine being in the rain, and I can feel the tugs from the dogs on the leash… Really nicely written.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I adore everything about the rain; the calming thunder and murky soft smudges of cloud, the hushed darkness kindly falling like evening bedroom curtains, the cold sighs of the wind, and the delicate ripples flashing in puddles. I loved your poem, and I shared the narrators pain, healing, and recovery throughout the lines. Thank you so much for sharing. Rain is a beautiful bless.

-Wella.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I absolutely love the rain. When I'm down all I want to do is walk in the rain. It cleanses my soul in a way. I have a poem called Rain that relates somewhat with this

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love rain. This is a cool tale, your pain being soothed by walks in the rain, done very nicely.

Posted 13 Years Ago


been there, makes me think of portland ore.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This sounds like there's a lot of emotional pain going on, trying to walk it off or to walk away from it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is fantastic!
I can totally relate to this myself. I often walk my dogs in the rain, I find it so therapeutic.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Rain washes away a lot, I'm glad it helped you, I'm glad you had your dogs too. I bet you and they bonded even more. They were there with you as you worked through the pain, I'm thinking they were part of the healing as well.

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2454 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on November 4, 2010
Last Updated on November 4, 2010
Tags: Walking, Rain, Pain, Healing, Coping, Grieving

Author

Marie Harrison
Marie Harrison

Atlanta, GA



About
Momma told me to get out and enjoy life, so now I'm going to dance. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Love Love

A Poem by Tate Morgan