Proof

Proof

A Story by chimetime
"

150 Word Flash Fiction challenge based on 4 topics: graveyard, proof, flood, and runaway.

"

Proof

Gravediggers usually have all the answers. Everybody's story ends at the end. However, Adam's assignment was a John Doe, the only marker was the coroner tag on the toe: "John Doe, likely runaway". Adam winced and sighed; displeasurable people had drunken ranters at their funeral at least.

 

The funeral home directed him to do an unmarked burial. Believing people deserved more than a dog's dinner, Adam decided to do the unmarked grave near a tree. At the end, Adam nailed the coroner tag to the tree; even the nameless deserved memory.

 

Two weeks later, Adam was preparing a grave. Once Adam had hit 6 feet, a flash flood occurred. Suddenly, the climbable grave became a slippery sinkhole. No matter where he grasped, he sunk deeper into the grave. Between screaming and clawing, he wondered if there was an afterlife. Accepting his fate, he cried for some proof that he was not only going to be a piece of compost. He reached up for a last handful of air, and something pulled back.

 

Six feet under became three faces staring at him. All were unfamiliar, except for a translucent John Doe. John Doe offered his hand palm up, and Adam reciprocated. Something was placed in Adam's hand. At the item's placement, the three ghosts immediately began floating to the sky - the three hand-in-hand like a family. Looking at what he was given, Adam found the coroner tag. Adam had his proof.

© 2017 chimetime


Author's Note

chimetime
Feel free to leave any comment.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow...when I got a couple sentences in this was not the outcome I was expecting! The ending was literally captivating and gave me a little pull in my chest with the anxiety of being pulled under. The only suggestion I would give is the second sentences phrasing of "Everybody's story ends at the end." just because ti seems a little redundant with the double end.


Posted 6 Years Ago


Very nice imagery, I like this. you write very good,
I love the detail as well. Very nicely done

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 22, 2017
Last Updated on June 22, 2017

Author

chimetime
chimetime

Seattle, WA



Writing
Treadmill Treadmill

A Poem by chimetime