4 Reasons Why I No Longer Idolise Rory Gilmore

4 Reasons Why I No Longer Idolise Rory Gilmore

A Story by Cinematic N0stalgia

 1.     She is a home wrecker 

 

Not be to mean, but she literally is. Dean is Rory’s first love and boyfriend in the first, second and third season of the show. However, they break up in the episode “They Shoot Gilmores, Don’t They?” and Dean begins dating and finally marries Lindsay. Regardless, in season four, we see Dean take Rory’s virginity beginning her spiral of infidelity. In the Gilmore Girls 2016 comeback series, A Year in the Life, we see Rory’s much-older-self cheating with her ex-boyfriend, Logan. He even has a fiancé and yet the two continue to be intimate. The finale of show drops a massive cliff-hanger whereby Rory admits she is pregnant. And having only had sex with Logan in this season, that we know of, we have to assume it is his baby she is carryingLike what, come on Rory!

 

2.     She has no backbone 

 

The show sets up Rory Gilmore as this indestructible force; she will stop at nothing to be a journalist. However, after having a conversation with Mitchum Huntzberger �" a big-shot in the newspaper industry �" whereby he tells Rory, she doesn’t think she is fit to be a journalist because he doesn’t see her hungry enough for the profession. And instead of taking this constructive feedback, she completely gives up being a journalist and drops out of college. Rory let one man’s judgments of her derail her career. 

 

3.     Her character does a full 360 and her big fight with Lorelai 

 

In beginning of season 6, Lorelai and Rory have a fight about who Rory is turning into, having just been arrested for yacht theft, dropped out of college, and moving in with her grandparents. The two aren’t on speaking terms for the majority of season 6 because of this. Which in my opinion is ridiculous, the first three seasons of Gilmore Girls not only sets up Rory’s character as a logical, goody-too-shoes, but also emphasises the strong, close bond Rory and Lorelai have. And now you are telling me in season 6, Rory is a college-dropout doing court-order community service who is not even on speaking terms with her mother. Only because Lorelai had the guts to stand up to Rory as she threw away everything she has ever worked for. That just doesn’t sit right with me… 

 

4.     She becomes more and more privileged as the show goes on 

 

Lorelai and her independent ways play a big part in Rory’s conscientious nature. In the first half of the tv show, mainly seasons one to three, Rory is very polite, selfless in her demeanour. She is very grounded; her mother’s alienation from her wealthy parents sets up these realistic views. However, as the seasons progress and Rory forms closer bonds to her grandparents, dates Logan, and finally moves in with her grandparents for the majority of season 6. This causes her to become more entitled. Which we can see when she is appalled that she is ordered to do community service after stealing a yacht, believing her granddad’s lawyer should have got her off scot-free. 

 

© 2021 Cinematic N0stalgia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on September 17, 2021
Last Updated on September 17, 2021
Tags: List, reasons, Rory Gilmore, Gilmore Girls

Author

Cinematic N0stalgia
Cinematic N0stalgia

Australia



About
I provide an authentic, deep dive perspective into the world of pop-culture, film, and literature in my non-fiction writing. My personalised writing style tied with my meticulous research and investig.. more..

Writing