SIX

SIX

A Chapter by clairvoyantmars

Jason strolled on the sidewalk, passing by different types of houses. It felt strange passing by the dreary surroundings. He passed by different kinds of people, either coming or going. He didn’t give a smile, intimidated by their curious stares. He thought maybe they were wondering why they haven’t seen him before, maybe asking themselves who had moved out of the town and was replaced by this stranger. He stared at the crack on the sidewalk. Not knowing what to do, he took out his iPod from his pocket and rammed the earphones in his ears. He turned up the volume as loud as his ears could take, and, soon enough, the chatter of the people around him and the silence of the early morning was drowned the shrill of an electric guitar and the hard rock music.

He arrived at Kate’s doorstep and rang the doorbell. He heard some shouting and someone running down the stairs. There was some shuffling and the door clicked open.

“Jace!” Kate said, her eyes widening.

Jason heard some laughing in the background. “Oh, it seems I came at a wrong time. No worries, I’ll come back later.”

“What are you talking about?” she said with a smile, pulling him in. “That’s just Mike and his girlfriend.”

They entered the living room and Jason saw Mike with a blond girl. She was on the sofa and Mike was tickling her.

“Jason!” Mike shouted, standing up.

“Hi Mike. How’s it going?”

“This is my girlfriend, Tess.”

“Hey.” Tess said, walking over to him, smoothing out her hair and holding out her hand. “Nice to finally meet you.”

“Pleasure.” He said taking her hand. Mike and Tess. Mike Tess. Great.

“We were just about to prepare lunch actually.” Kate said. “Would you like to join us?”

Jason nodded. “Sure.”

They all headed to the kitchen; Kate and Jason with their arms together and Mike’s arm around Tess’ shoulder. The kitchen started to fill with the sound of chatter and the banging of pots. They had prepared a small lunch, mostly consisting of opened canned goods and leftovers. The rice was already cooked. The girls prepared the table, and they all sat down at the table.

“You’re a photographer then, huh?” Tess asked, sitting down.

Jason nodded. “Yeah.”

“You’ll get along with my mother then.” She smiled. “She loves to picture stuff and combine them to make a painting.”

“Yeah.” Mike pitched in. “I saw some of her paintings. They’re really cool.”

“I thought your mother was a teacher.” Kate said.

“She’s both.” Tess said.

“Hey, Jace. Did you see that new movie yet?” Mike said.

“Which one?”

“The one about the house by the lake.”

“Nope.”

“Well, Tess and I were planning to go. I don’t really know how long you’re planning to stay here, so I just want to have a chance to catch up. The four of us can go. If that’s all right. Tess?”

Tess nodded.

“Well?” Mike asked, turning his head to Jason.

“If…” he paused, hesitant. “ If it’s all right with… Kate?”

Kate’s eyes widened, shocked on being put on the spot. “Uhm, sure.”

Mike slapped the table. “Perfect. Tomorrow sound good?”

Tess answered for them. “Perfect.”

 

“Bye!” Mike and Tess shouted as they walked out the door. Mike’s arm was around Tess’ shoulders and her arm was around her waist. They were both using their other hand to wave at Kate and Jason, who were standing side by side by the door.

“Bye.” Kate said, laughing, closing the door.

“Those two look like best friends.” Jason said.

“That’s how close they are.”

They both headed to the living room and sat on the sofa. They both got quiet.

“We used to be that close…” Jason murmured. What am I doing?

“Yeah. Jack and I used to be that close too.”

“So, what are your interests now?” Jason asked.

“Well, I’m kinda into sketching now. Sometimes I go out and draw the scenery, but only on good days. I hate wearing hats, especially in the sun. How about you? What are you into these days?”

“Well, I’m kinda good at the guitar.”

Kate had a sad smile on her face. “Cool.”

“Let’s go out.”

“Where?”

“The soccer field.”

                                      . . .

 

Kate took her sandals off and walked on the thick grass, clutching her sketchbook in one hand and running her other hand through her hair. Jason was a few feet away, playing soccer with a few kids. She sat under a tree and opened her sketchbook to a blank page.

 

Jason looked over to Kate sitting under the shade of the tree. Forgetting the game for a while and glancing at the woman under the tree. She didn’t look different from the little girl he had met the first few times, the little girl of six, the girl who was sitting under the same tree, the tree where he had found the book, the one thing that would give him the chance to say how he felt. The one chance he had waited for for more than fourteen years, the chance he had lost a few days ago. She still had the same long black hair, the same pink cheeks, and the same warm smile. Kate looked over and Jason’s mind returned to the game.

“Heads up!” a young boy shouted.

Jason looked just in time to see the soccer ball heading for him and hit him straight in the stomach. His breath got knocked out of him.

“Jace!” he heard her call.

He started coughing and his hands went to his stomach.

“Gosh.” The boy said. “Sorry, sir.”

“No prob, kid.” He said, looking at the swarm of kids around him. “Run along now. No need to make a big deal out of it.”

“Jace!” Kate cried as the crowd of kids dissolved. “Jace, are you okay?”

He groaned. “Ouch.”

She giggled. “Rusty at soccer?”

Cough. “Rusty reflexes.”

Kate stood up and held out her hand. Jason took it and she pulled him up. He coughed again.

“I need a break.” He said.

Kate went back under the tree while Jason walked over to a hotdog stand. He walked over to her with two hotdogs and two bottles of iced tea.

“D’you mind if I doze off for a while?” Jason asked after they had done eating.

She smiled. “S’okay. I want to stay and sketch for a while. But be careful, I might leave you here.”

“Riiight.”

 

                                      . . .

 

Jason opened his eyes and looked around. He couldn’t see her anywhere. He looked down at his watch. It was already three o’clock. He stood up and scanned the crowd. No Kate.

Jeez, did she really leave me here? He walked slowly to the lot looking for her car. He spotted it.

“Gotcha.” He heard a voice say from behind.

He turned and saw Kate standing behind him. “There you are.”

“You were scared weren’t you?” she smiled.

“I was scared that you were lost. You know. Like the time you got lost in the zoo.”

“Cha’right.” She laughed. “I’ve lived here all my life. How can I get lost?”

“How long was I out?” ha asked, changing the subject.

“About one and a half hours.”

“You could have woken me after half an hour.”

“It’s okay.” She smiled. “Come on.”

She led him to the car and they both went in. Jason noticed how her eyes didn’t seem to be on the road. It seemed like the thin layer of moisture on her glassy eyes separated her from the real world and wherever her mind seemed to be right now. She drove over to a coffee shop and they both went in.



© 2011 clairvoyantmars


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on May 12, 2011
Last Updated on May 12, 2011


Author

clairvoyantmars
clairvoyantmars

Philippines



About
I've been seriously starting to write my own novels since 2008. So far, I've finished three novels and have a lot of unfinished ones piled up. I also write short stories and poems and the occasional s.. more..

Writing
The Past The Past

A Chapter by clairvoyantmars