The Unwanted

The Unwanted

A Story by clairvoyantmars

The church choir bursts into song. The piano plays out the wedding march. Flower petals are scattered everywhere and everybody looks at the back to stare at the woman walking down the aisle. Everyone but me. The room is filled with soft sighs and smiles. All I do is stare ahead of me. The groom stands idly by the altar. Of course, he stares at his beautiful wife-to-be down the aisle. Finally I see her at the corner of my eye, a mirage of white and petals. Slowly, she walks into my view; past the people, past me. I am just another face in the crowd.

She is so beautiful.

With one hand, she holds the arm of her father, who stares tearfully at his little girl with pride. And with the other, she holds the bouquet of white and yellow lilies. Her pressed curls are carefully arranged, her grey eyes watering behind her veil. Her dress is draped in silk and lace. Nevertheless, all I have to say to describe her is: angel.

She finally reaches the altar and her father lifts her veil. Breathtaking… she gives him a kiss and turns to join hands with her soon-to-be man of her life. The music stops, and everyone takes a seat as the ceremony finally begins. The events are a blur; all I do is look at her. She stares at her groom with such love in her eyes, all her tender smiles directed at him. That should have been me.

“If anybody has a reason why these two should not be joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace.”

The room is silent. Nothing holds me back. That is because I have nothing to say.

“I now pronounce you husband and wife.” That could have been me.

She kisses him; they are now as one. That would have been me.

I shake my head. No. I gave up on her. I made her feel unwanted. I had hurt her too much, so I gave up… Now it was my turn to feel unwanted. I stare at the woman who is seated beside me, and I take her hand. My wife looks up at me and smiles.

The newlyweds part from their kiss, and everyone stands in applause as they walk back down the aisle. The bride’s eyes meet mine. She smiles at me, out of courtesy. Her eyes turn sad. My heart hurts.

She won this round. But we both lost the game.

Goodbye…

© 2011 clairvoyantmars


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the way that you give us the background on the bride and her former lover in bits and pieces. It makes the story engaging, no pun intended. A beautiful little snapshot with a lot of insight.

Posted 12 Years Ago


beautifully written. SOOOO SAD. AHH. xD great write, i loved it a lot what a heart breaking story..

Posted 12 Years Ago


phew...oh my...this deeply moved me beyond words...and yes, once upon a time (many years ago) I could relate to this all too well. Sad and touching verse filled with much emotion and torment. Beautiful piece.

Posted 12 Years Ago


So sad and beautifully written.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is a sad story and it is too true in certain aspects too. It always pains someone to see the person they love with someone else

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
☯
Such a heartfelt and sad story. I really really loved this. The thoughts flowing and the images you set in my mind. The lost loves, and the time moving forward. It's sad, and a love story gone bad. An amazing and stunning story.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TJ
"...he stares at his beautiful wife-to-be down the aisle." chop of the words "down the aisle"

Besides that I think this is a well written and great tragic tale.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is a sad short story, but very well written.

Posted 12 Years Ago


this is really sad you did an outstanding job :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


The pain is almost palpable, well done, great piece.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2004 Views
58 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on May 30, 2011
Last Updated on May 30, 2011

Author

clairvoyantmars
clairvoyantmars

Philippines



About
I've been seriously starting to write my own novels since 2008. So far, I've finished three novels and have a lot of unfinished ones piled up. I also write short stories and poems and the occasional s.. more..

Writing
The Past The Past

A Chapter by clairvoyantmars



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Last Promise The Last Promise

A Story by TJ