Coffee Girl

Coffee Girl

A Story by George Love
"

The morning routine.

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of Coffee Girl.



Coffee Girl

 

Through bloodshot eyes born of little sleep and far too many memories, she pours the first cup of coffee.  Hot, sweet, and light the brew offers its first toast to the coming day.  Her kitchen bears the scars of too many mornings such as this.  The window over the sink once bore witness to carefree times and overlooked a happy place where children played games, family pets destroyed countless plants, and fruit trees somehow managed to produce edible memories from happier times.

                The barren floor feels rough on her bare feet as she manages to sit at the nearly broken table which also bears scars from too many days in existence.  She sighs deeply as she takes another sip of her coffee, wishing for some of those better days to return.  The house remains quiet, still, motionless safe for the clicking of the coffee machine as it cycles to keep her  coffee warm, eagerly awaiting her second cup, and at times a third before she cleans some portion of her derelict dream house.

                The morning sky is grey, lending to the depressing mood.  From another room, life appears in the form of a large tabby.  The cat walks slowly, seeking another source of warmth for its arthritic joints.  She purrs softly and rubs around her human’s legs as if the coldness in that touch could ease some of her pain as well.  She is rewarded by a soft touch, a gentle rub of her head, and at last a spot on her lap, which is warm and comforting.  She wonders about the source of warmth in the cup, forgetting it made her stomach hurt the last time she drank from it.  The caffeine did little for her digestion and without dignity; she hacked up her meager breakfast on one of the bathmats.

                In silence they offer to each other the comfort few souls could understand.  Around the corner, in another quiet and darkened room; hidden under years of dust lay the remnants of memories from years before her entry.  She has yet to explore them for the door stays closed.  As curious as her nature is, she has no want to enter that room.  It is always colder than the rest of the house in winter and much warmer than she desires in summer. 

                Today, she places the tabby on the floor at the foot of her chair and pours another salute to the grayish day ahead.  There’s so much to do, yet so little.  She has no care to pay the bills as they are all paid for her.  The trust fund still has enough money to keep her existence stable.  She cares little for the contents of the garage, yet she makes her way there this morning.  The old smell of rubber, oil, and gasoline linger.  The first bay stands empty.  Once, her father’s prized possession sat here, saved for the sunny day drives they enjoyed together, drives the entire family enjoyed when the weather was fair and days were brighter.

                The second bay houses the family car, her mother’s car, or as her mother proclaimed it; the family taxi service.  The tires low on air, the hulking van held little to stir her soul.  Memories from their old day to day life, countless trips to the dentist, doctors, schools, grocery trips, and church outings faded with each passing day.

                The third bay was her only prized possession.  Her parents called the bike her Rebellion in Pink.  The pink Harley Davidson modified soft tail was hers, though she rode it very little even when she felt rebellious.  She felt attached to the bike, but riding no longer suited her passion, yet she could not part with it.  She opened the garage door to allow some of the stale air escape.  The grayness of the day seemed to pour in, almost overwhelming her.  She felt the grey enter her soul so deeply she almost dropped her cup. 

                Rattled by the burst of sensitivity, she took the last drink from her cup and steadied herself to face the view.  Clouds covered the blue today and the dampness dripped from the leaves of the hedges separating her yard from the neighbors.  Barefooted, she steps into the cool driveway as she manages to walk its length.  The morning paper lies in a puddle of water beside the box she purchased to keep the printed word dry.  At least the environmentally friendly plastic protected her dose of daily reality.

                She returns to the house and enters the kitchen again.  The tabby lies in her chair, seeming to warm it for her, yet she knows better.  The house cat will stay there most of the day, soothing herself with her own warmth.  She feels a long bath might ease her own pain, yet as she draws the hot water into the tub, she feels mostly numb.  Her bath salts delivered by a lady she never sees, and never needs to, grant a small bit of lightness into the nearly dark room.  Light bulbs to replace were not on her to do list today.  Maybe tomorrow, maybe tomorrow.

 

© 2010 George Love


Author's Note

George Love
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm not sure if there will be more of this to follow, or it may end up as a chapter in a book.



Featured Review

Watch out for the number of her and she's in the writing. I find the amount of pronoun use to be distracting. If you change your sentences up to not include so many it automatically improves the writing. I lost count after about finding 130 of the word she.

Overall I think the work is good. I wish there was a little bit more dialogue or action at the start to build the initial momentum of the story.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Watch out for the number of her and she's in the writing. I find the amount of pronoun use to be distracting. If you change your sentences up to not include so many it automatically improves the writing. I lost count after about finding 130 of the word she.

Overall I think the work is good. I wish there was a little bit more dialogue or action at the start to build the initial momentum of the story.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Whew! What a horrendous chapter it would be. Love all the detail you added to make the imagery flow. Still don't know who or what or even why. But I do feel like I know her! Great writing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I enjoyed this read. Sometimes it takes you going through some bad stuff to see what really matters. Great write

Posted 12 Years Ago


This tale sounds so true, to make it into a book you would have to return to a whole family and then..the deaths..and the girls mental breakdown and hopefully a full recovery at the end..It is writtten very well and I read it all..It held my interest and left me thinking..what will happen to her next..Valentine

Posted 12 Years Ago


It's a wonder to me where these stories pop into people's minds. I found this to be written very well in a melancholy sort of way. It did bring hopes of finding out more about what brought this tragedy into play; so I hope this is just the beginning being that of a chapter to the full story.

Great Write!
RLG,
Tommy


Posted 13 Years Ago


George, love, this is wonderfully thought out! The memories are heart wrenching and realistically so:)

(eg)
"The second bay houses the family car, her mother’s car, or as her mother proclaimed it; the family taxi service. ".............this is wonderfully moving, I believe most parents have called it so lol

It adds warmth and realistic elements to your story :)
I personally think this should be a chapter, you could go serious places with this :)
Wonderful!
xx

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

8 Views
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on December 7, 2010
Last Updated on December 7, 2010
Tags: Coffee, Depression, Gray Days, Cats

Author

George Love
George Love

Murfreesboro, TN



About
I am a retired Paramedic with over 20 years of Emergency Medical Services experience. While attending Middle Tennessee State University and Volunteer State College, I majored in Music, English, Preme.. more..

Writing
Power Power

A Poem by George Love



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..