Care for Your Pet

Care for Your Pet

A Story by George Love
"

My rage at losing another rescue animal.

"

Care for Your Pet!

 

I feel rage inside at the thoughtless, careless acts of indifference carried out by some of our fellow man.  Once more I had to sit and hear the words of a veterinarian as they told us another rescue animal had to be put to sleep because of two fatal and highly contagious diseases.

This magnificent animal, so full of life not mere minutes ago now lies limp in my arms as his light fell from the sky.  What care you?  How DARE you destroy this life you chose to take home with you and nurture?  This was a companion, a friend who looked to you for love and comfort.  How dare you dump this creature who needed only a warm place to sleep, a little water, and mere pennies worth of food. 

Could you be so selfish to think no one else would care for your pet?  Well we did, and today because you dumped your pet in our neighborhood, we suffered the pain of watching this wonderful friend and companion pass from us.   He chose our home for comfort because you dumped him.  He walked us to our front door, greeting us with unconditional love and friendship.  He slept in our garage, safe from the elements.

Our hearts are broken because you didn’t care enough to ask someone to care for your pet.  We held him as his last contact with humans on this planet.  He purred his way into that deep sleep and I felt his last heartbeat.  Your pet died in my arms, and I loved him.  Why couldn’t you have loved him more than me?

He did not deserve this fate.  He was magnificent, loving, warm, and charming.  I hope you never dump another pet as long as you live, but if you do, we’re here to ease their pain and suffering.  We will give them a warm place to sleep, fresh water and food, and we will love them as much as we loved this last handsome animal.  We will enjoy the company of the pet you toss aside, and hope for a better end for your next outcast animal.

 

© 2012 George Love


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh, how very touching! And with the realization of how real is this kind of tragedy far too often, I am pained even more! Too many regard animals as disposable, not worthy of care, and then the responsibility falls on the shoulders of someone as you who has the heart and desire to help heal those cast aside! I am so very sorry you have had to witness this! I am an animal lover - a self professed grand lover of dogs, so to hear of this just shakes my world!
You have certainly written your words as those that shall be remembered!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Animal welfare is something I fight for all I can and it hurts deeply at times to see how animals are abused...any sentient being has the right to live life freely and be treated with respect...education is needed more than ever with such things....

Posted 8 Years Ago


Hi George
Touching story and told simply but effectively. It doesn't matter whether it's person or animal that passes, it's still earth shattering. Thank you for submitting this. I believe a lot of people can relate and therefore feel some consolodation.
Brother Rooster.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is so true and touches my rescuing heart. I live in an area that is far away from cities and is surrounded by forest and wide lands. We have so many animals that are dumped out here, and they often fall prey to predators. What a horrible way to die. I have spayed and neutered so many cats that have eventually roamed on, but I hope that it will help curb the population, and keep it down to a number that those of us who take them in can handle. I think that spay/neuter is so overlooked by people. I think most times, I hope anyway, that people don't mean to be so cruel....
I did see a wonderful show "Dogtown" that my daughter introduced me to on Netflix. It was awesome and I hated for the season to end. One of their shows was about the Michael Vick pitbulls. It broke my heart what is done to those poor creatures. (I think there may be a poem in me about that and this post of yours may springboard it.)

Well, you have certainly got me going here...that is compliment enough to your writing. Sorry for going on, although I could keep going. Suffice to say, I get it. Carry on, we can only try to help and inform.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh, how very touching! And with the realization of how real is this kind of tragedy far too often, I am pained even more! Too many regard animals as disposable, not worthy of care, and then the responsibility falls on the shoulders of someone as you who has the heart and desire to help heal those cast aside! I am so very sorry you have had to witness this! I am an animal lover - a self professed grand lover of dogs, so to hear of this just shakes my world!
You have certainly written your words as those that shall be remembered!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

613 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 14, 2012
Last Updated on April 14, 2012

Author

George Love
George Love

Murfreesboro, TN



About
I am a retired Paramedic with over 20 years of Emergency Medical Services experience. While attending Middle Tennessee State University and Volunteer State College, I majored in Music, English, Preme.. more..

Writing
Power Power

A Poem by George Love



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Indicative Indicative

A Story by Antoñyo