Missing Valentine

Missing Valentine

A Poem by Cody Jeremy Thompson
"

Another one of those Valentine's Day poems.

"
The second month comes again,
With its fourteenth day.
You promised you'll  be here,
Because you couldn't stay.

On stairs I sit.
Looking at the ajar door.
Every time I think of you,
They close a little bit more.

Tick,tock goes the clock,
Fly by with him hours.
Lonely night descends.
And my head lowers.
 
You didn't come but it's fine.
Because deep inside I know.
That next year,
You'll be my valentine.


© 2016 Cody Jeremy Thompson


Author's Note

Cody Jeremy Thompson
It's Valentineeesssss! Not that it makes a difference to me it's just another Sunday but doh well. Had to add to that nice lil' pack of poems that come out during this time of year so here's this.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Valentines Day, I always find myself singing Beyonce's "All the single ladies." Anyway...I like how this poem has patience in it and if you have ever listened to Shrek: The musical, there's a song Fiona sings called, "I know it's today." Check it out if you haven't. Your poem reminded me of that. I think that the third paragraph, first line needs a space after the first word. Only thing I caught on there.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Cody Jeremy Thompson

7 Years Ago

Hehe yeah tho I could've worded it better as some have noted but I dislike dwelling on lovey dovey s.. read more
GalaxyGhost

7 Years Ago

I quite agree with you. If I had to choose between a romantic comedy and a serious romantic movie or.. read more
Cody Jeremy Thompson

7 Years Ago

I can think of maybe two romantic movies I didn't get bored/sick of during it's run time. On the oth.. read more
Awwwww....love the hope. The spirit of a child.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Cody Jeremy Thompson

8 Years Ago

Thank you heh.
dream a little dream. the poem was very well crafted. YOu have allowed us see your heart, an what you have felt pertaining to the day of valentine. It was well written, I hope she does appear for you. your heart is pure. your love is secure. May you find that someone to love. How shares your heart and soul. Be true to your heart and you will be free.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Cody Jeremy Thompson

8 Years Ago

Heh thanks and same to you,in case there already isn't somebody there for you.
Richard Patrick

8 Years Ago

Unfortunatelly, I have a love. All, I am saying is believe in who you are? Allow yourself to see the.. read more
Wonderful Valentines Poem. Some suggestions:

Stanza 1: You promised you'll be here, Because you couldn't stay. It is confusing to me. Had to read it numerous times. I decided it is confusing because your going from present tense to past tense. Anything goes in poetry, but I think this is to confusing. I think I would change it to You promised you would be here.
The second Stanza: Ironically, I like ajar. But I like it better "looking at the door ajar." Its more proper English. Consider adding the word the in the first line to keep the flow. "On the stairs I sit. Looking at the door ajar. You totally lost me on the last line of the second stanza. "They close a little bit more." Who is they? The door? Its singular. "Every time I think of you, all doors close a little more, or It closes a little bit more. Depending on what you meant. I love the poem! Or I wouldn't have taken this much time to say all that!

3rd stanza, again some confusion with fly by him hours. confusing. how about hours fly by him?

Posted 8 Years Ago


Cody Jeremy Thompson

8 Years Ago

Heh thanks for suggestions I will look into them and others given when i get the time to change up s.. read more
This poem is decent. It has a subtle rhyme scheme towards the end of the line. The only thing I think you should look out for is the meter. Since the english language is naturally written in iambic meter, it is good to pay attention to this fact. The lines seem a little choppy because of the way you have written it.
Pay attention to what words you pick for example, "Looking at the ajar door"7 syllables.
"Looked upon the open door" would probably be a better fit and would let the poem read a little more smoothly. Notice how it is the same number of syllables.

Posted 8 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Cody Jeremy Thompson

8 Years Ago

Thanks for both the praise and criticism. I will try to use advice you gave me in my future works.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

375 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 14, 2016
Last Updated on February 14, 2016

Author

Cody Jeremy Thompson
Cody Jeremy Thompson

About
I started writing,if you can even call it that way, two years ago when me and my friend came up with some stupid tales that were making fun of the teachers in our school but soon enough I began actual.. more..

Writing