Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by corvus
"

Prologue: To death do us part, dear sister, but that ended up being much closer than either of us thought.

"

 

I was never sure if she had done it on purpose, not truly. They had been screaming for a time, beneath me in the living room as I lay awake on my back, staring at the shadows on my ceiling. I heard the door slam, the running footsteps, but it was howling scream that came next that made me peer from the window and out into the night. I could see the shape of my sister clawing at her face and the bloodied mess on the driveway pavement. I was certain, then, that the child was, indeed, my sister’s, for my mother stood from afar clutching my father as Helena touched delicately at the babe’s head.

It was an accident, surely, but part of me thought it could have been her subconscious that willed the child to slip from her arms, for its head to be dashed upon the concrete, for perhaps then the screaming would stop and Helena could come home.

She rocked herself in the driveway for a while, shaking, clutching her arms around her as the blood set on her face, and for an instant I thought she was looking at me before she scratched herself up and ran off.

Mother decided not to follow; Helena would come back, obviously, sniffling and apologetic, as she always had. They’d bury the child and forget the ordeal, and her daughter would resurface into society respectable and proper.

Father left before dawn. He stumbled back the next morning, grey faced and rigid as I’d always known him. He was alone.

Perhaps I was too young to fully comprehend what was happening, but Helena had left many times before, and each time she returned to a stricter household and a colder mother. This time, as I saw her leave, the feeling was different. The babe’s blood speckled our driveway and drove Helena away. Where once she had promised to come back to me, I knew the child’s death had changed that forever. I was alone, now.

The flyers went up and came down. We were a spectacle for a time, but I barely remember that. I do, however, remember my sister’s absence very strongly.

It wasn’t something one can put into words. It wasn’t as if life changed dramatically - mother and Helena had not been on good terms for as long as I could remember, and her absence proved to be more of a blessing than a curse in that respect.

 

When I peeked from around the corner into the living room and saw father crying, I knew it was too late. Helena was dead to him, but all I felt was an endless amount of curiosity. In fact, I maintain that it was this moment that saw my ending up where I did, though Hiruko believes this to be nonsense.

He’s had enough of fate, after all.

There was a small gathering to commemorate the disappearance of my sister. They never found her, but a year was closure enough, for my father at least. Mother refused to attend.

 

After that moment, a stream of hope was cut off. Hope became a childish thing, and so I put it away at the very back of my heart. My despair could not have bred so violently without the constant expectation that Helena would walk through our door. So I put it away, because it’s so much easier to run and ignore then face and defeat. Father and mother tried their hardest to get to know me, to like me, they did, but even today I consider myself quite an unlikeable soul - I blame this all on the disappearance of my sister. Never doubt the strength of the thing that binds two siblings together, whether that be love or hate.

 

I never understood the gravity of my situation, nor did I understand how bitter it made me. It didn’t seem to impact me as much as one would think. At least, others observed I acted the same as I always had. What they did not understand was how close Helena and I actually were; that I found her running away to be alike to abandonment. My parents were acceptable, but hardly the affectionate pair others proved to be. I understand now they had their own way of showing it. At that time, however, I wanted my sister back with a desperation that clawed at my heart and soul; two years without her had proved almost impossible. There was an itching at my skin, and before I knew it I had repeated her act and caused my parents even more grief.

 

I followed her into the dark. 

 



© 2013 corvus


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

He left before dawn And stumbled back around dawn... very confused. Add the next day or something that breaks it up better.


For a five year old it seemed to mature, understand enough what was going on around me. But I to have been through hard times and had to mature quicker than I wanted to.. but on a story like this I think you need to slow down the pace And give us time to prosses this information to make more believeable. Meaning let us see the characters grow. So far your off to a good start.

If you are wanting to return the favor you are more than welcome to read my series titled. What's behind the looking glass or my new book which seems to be popular at the moment.titled. My life and how it has changed me.. one is based on fiction the other is not.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

corvus

11 Years Ago

Thank you, I'll make those changes.
Shep

11 Years Ago

By reading either one and its entirety. I will read everything you lay before me. Ask my friends tha.. read more
corvus

11 Years Ago

Sure, I'll read one in it's entirety =)



Reviews

I thought this was really good. Prologues are supposed to be a hook. Just enough to make you want for ear more of the book and I believe this did it. I am wanting to read more to find out more about this story which is all you should be doing at this point.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Been while since the last time,very good in fact even better.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Good chapter, I'm really interested in reading more
100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


corvus

11 Years Ago

Thanks =)
I've always wanted to run from home, but I'm never brave or strong enough to.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Junert

11 Years Ago

Yeah, but I don't have any trusted person outside...I will one day surely leave.
corvus

11 Years Ago

I hope you manage to =)
Junert

11 Years Ago

Thank you.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
K.G
The tone is very mono at first to me but then it started to sound haunting? im not quite sure how describe that but i like it, u should add sertain deatail to it like describe the night, maybe evan sounds and thoughts more. And tho a continouse pace is nice for shory stories, u should some how make some places where u can slow done the reader then let them back to the fast pace. Make them wounder around a but and get a better understanding, other then the few kinks ,I really Like it :3 im on to chapter 1!

Posted 11 Years Ago


K.G

11 Years Ago

your wellcome love :3 i have a book sugestion to if u like, get a copy of The Comple Handbook Of Nov.. read more
corvus

11 Years Ago

Cool thanks =)
K.G

11 Years Ago

n.p :3
well writen another than the misstakes Shep said it was perfect

Posted 11 Years Ago


corvus

11 Years Ago

Thank you =)
This was a excellent chapter with a great hook at the end. I really don't see anything wrong with this chapter. it is that good. Thank you for reviewing my work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


corvus

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much =) I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Your work is brilliant, thank you for reviewi.. read more
"I felt no different than I had" you either need to add " when she had left before" or take out the "than I had" (which I would recomend)
" it was in that moment that I matured very greatly" take out the very

really interesting prologue! makes me wonder what actually happened to Helena! great job but you should fix the errors that I pointed out it will make the flow in those areas better^_^ great write tho! keep it up!
~Dreamer!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Timeless-Chan

11 Years Ago

yup it's a draco X OC fanfiction:) it's called Secret Heart of Draco Malfoy if you wanna read it^_^ .. read more
Timeless-Chan

11 Years Ago

*more
corvus

11 Years Ago

ok sure =)
He left before dawn And stumbled back around dawn... very confused. Add the next day or something that breaks it up better.


For a five year old it seemed to mature, understand enough what was going on around me. But I to have been through hard times and had to mature quicker than I wanted to.. but on a story like this I think you need to slow down the pace And give us time to prosses this information to make more believeable. Meaning let us see the characters grow. So far your off to a good start.

If you are wanting to return the favor you are more than welcome to read my series titled. What's behind the looking glass or my new book which seems to be popular at the moment.titled. My life and how it has changed me.. one is based on fiction the other is not.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

corvus

11 Years Ago

Thank you, I'll make those changes.
Shep

11 Years Ago

By reading either one and its entirety. I will read everything you lay before me. Ask my friends tha.. read more
corvus

11 Years Ago

Sure, I'll read one in it's entirety =)
This was actually really good! i really like these types of stories just be careful with your punctuation! Oh and add in more dialogue and stuff if you haven't already for your next chapter!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

corvus

11 Years Ago

Thanks for your review... I'm struggling rewriting the first half of this book because I'm aware it'.. read more
Emily Dickinson Jr.

11 Years Ago

I dnt think its dull at all! lol
corvus

11 Years Ago

Thank you =)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

669 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 5, 2012
Last Updated on July 14, 2013
Tags: prologue, death, life, supernatural, mystery, family, interesting


Author

corvus
corvus

About
Hello! I'm a young writer very interested in improving herself and her writing... I love a wide range of authors, such as Tolkein and J.K. Rowling, as well as other who aren't as well known, such as A.. more..

Writing
Cold as Snow Cold as Snow

A Book by corvus


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by corvus



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..