A Cowboy can't cry

A Cowboy can't cry

A Poem by lee von cleef
"

Loss

"

The cattle are hidden in
a thicket, along a flint hill’s gully,
and the rain rolls across the Kansas night,
thunder pumping, rolling
deep, throaty, hollow bellows.

Gods breathe and clouds slap.
Rocks and roots charge through
the narrows ripping at the
thickets.

Thunder’s rolling rhythm broken by
the calves panicked screams,
flashing, the flood quenches the
Kansas night.


Undercut or buried, the cattle are gone.
The distance carries their breath away.
The moon’s midnight watch echoes the
bawling calves.

And a cowboy can’t cry.
cold are the tears in morning coffee.

L.V.C.

© 2012 lee von cleef


Author's Note

lee von cleef
Save it for the early hours after a rain

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I can see the tears evaporating, uncried from the skyblue eyes. I can hear the cry that will never escape his throat in the questioning panic of the cattle.
I can feel the electric static of emotion held in the thin threads of a plaid flannel shirt. His solitude the only salvation from sparking into an inferno.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

An excellent work. I must say Emma must think you are good as well in 4 years this is the first I remember her asking me to read anothers work '


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Something about this poem...I enjoyed reading it very much - it is a beautiful picture you've painted here - Great work :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent write- such imagery! God's breathe and clouds slap, calves panicked screams, distance carries their breath away, cold are the tears.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Appears you've got some major rounding-up to do.
Like the hard edge portrayed here; refreshing when compared to the namby-pamby sterility of virtual reality. Even appreciate the-play-for-keeps nature of Nature; everything ain't a nobody-ever-gets-hurt game.
Well, I've pontificated enough about harsh reality--as I man my extremely plush, rather expensive office chair.
Do realize your poem has many metaphorical applications. But I'm too dumb to talk about them.
I just plain like this poem, lee; sometimes it's just as simple as that.
Welcome to The Cafe!

Posted 11 Years Ago


strong is the man who can let loose a cloud of tears

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wonderful words, powerful.. ' thunder pumping, rolling ~ deep, throaty, hollow bellows.' What a near furious drama this is! Tis a journey into a life completely unknown to me; you've drawn amazingly clear sketches with each and every line.

Yet another great phrase, ' And a cowboy can’t cry. ~ cold are the tears in morning coffee.' A few beautifully placed words that say it all.

Posted 11 Years Ago


when its raining who the hell is there to know?

strong words...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nice blending of nature’s grandeur and the endless tack of a cowhand.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your words move like the rain, creating a lonely scene... the emotions stirred by the haunting cries... Powerful introspections...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


5
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2535 Views
50 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 19, 2012
Last Updated on July 19, 2012

Author

lee von cleef
lee von cleef

AR



About
Good morning,Thank you for stopping by. I like to write,I like to layer a story into a poem,I want to crack through to the reader,add emotion to life, theirs and mine. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Downfall Downfall

A Poem by A. Amos