Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by crazysox

Chapter 2

“I’m-I’m sorry, I must have misheard you. Am I your what?!” I ask the man, dumbfounded.

“….This is where Jolie Aubrey lives, isn’t it?” he asks, taking a step back to double-check the address. Seeing that the address was what he had expected it to be, he turned back to me with a triumphant, though worried, expression. I answered his question with a suspicious look.

“Who are you?” I asked.

“Peter….Peter Aubrey.” He replied. I remember that I turned the AC on this morning, and I remember the electrician telling me that last month’s electricity bill was $232.74. Best to keep the door closed. With a defeated sigh, I took a step back and let the stranger into my house. The so-called ‘Peter’ nervously nodded a thank-you to me before taking three steps forwards.

“Would you like some lemonade?” I ask. I may be playing the part of the crazy old lady who lets strangers into her house just because they tell her some made-up story, but there is no way that I am crazy enough to stay in the same room as him. I wonder if I’ve got any poison in the pantry….but that would be murder, wouldn’t it? Unless he tries to kill me first. Then it’s just self-defense. With a regretful sigh, I realize that I really should’ve read up on those law books.

“What-what’s wrong?” Peter mumbles. It’s clear that Peter has no idea what he’s doing. If he’s here to con me, he’s certainly not doing a very good job.

“Nothing.” I say. My thoughts say something else, on the other hand. What’s wrong? What’s wrong?! What’s wrong is that I’m a little defenseless old lady who just let a stranger into her house! I know for a fact that I have never met you before, and yet you claim to be my son! Any other little old lady in the world would’ve smacked you upside the head with her purse, but oh no, I just had to have the guts and stupidity throw you a welcome home party! And not only that, but I offered you a freaking glass of Minute-Maid lemonade that I was saving for my bridge meet on Thursday! There is something wrong with that, Peter! By golly, is there something wrong! Despite all the things I am thinking, I kindly smile and turn to him, lemonade in hand.

“Do you like your lemonade sweet, or sour?”

“Uh, sweet, please.” Peter says. I carry a pitcher and two glasses of lemonade on a tray out to the back porch. My husband‘s aunt had given the pitcher to us at our wedding. Apparently, it was handmade from Italy. Of course, Aunt Kelley had always been a liar, and this point was proven when I found the exact same pitcher on sale at the local grocery store two weeks and three days later. Regardless, it made a very nice pitcher.

Sliding open the back door, I beckoned for Peter to go onto the patio. I may be insane enough to let a stranger into my house, but I’m certainly not insane enough to keep him there. Outside, I can scream and the neighbors will hear me. Hopefully.

I place the tray of lemonade on the porch table. It’s one of those tables that has an obviously plastic transparent surface resting on a silver post. The post extends past the table to hold up an umbrella, complete with six green stripes on top of a white fabric. Or maybe it’s white stripes on top of a green background? That’s like asking if a zebra what colour stripes he has. There’s simply no answer.

“So, Peter. What brings you here?” I ask tentatively.

“You’re, uh, I think you’re my mother.” He says.

“Well….I’m not. Hate to break it to you, but you’re crazy. Did you run away from the mental facility? I heard they were transferring patients today.” Perhaps it was a little blunt, but hey, I’m not the one harassing old ladies such as myself.

“No. You are my mother! I…. I can prove it!”

“Oh, can you?” I say.



© 2011 crazysox


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I wonder how she keeps this many details in her head, still pretty interesting and very detailed! Keep it up! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Ha! I loved it when she asked him about the mental facility and when she were thinking what a defenseless little old lady she is but had only a few moments ago been considering to poison him. And, besides, she could hit him with the pitcher if it comes to that. I'm really looking forward to him proving that she's his mother.

Posted 12 Years Ago


It's a pretty interesting read so far. The only thing that you need to watch is the border for Jolie; she's a very methodical thinker but she also has a personality, and keeping that balance is essential to keeping her interesting. So far it's great; I'm getting a feel for both sides, but yeah, keep that in mind is all.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

442 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 5, 2011
Last Updated on August 6, 2011
Tags: chapter, two, hyperthymesia, jolie, peter, lemonade


Author

crazysox
crazysox

DC



About
NOTE: My featured story is almost always my most recent one. PLEASE read that one first, my older works are probably not that good! I'm a 14-year-old writer who's always dreamed of becoming the aut.. more..

Writing
Flaming Rings Flaming Rings

A Story by crazysox


Remember? Remember?

A Story by crazysox