Introduction

Introduction

A Chapter by Ariana H
"

The introduction isn't EVERYTHING that this book is about. No, my entire story is not about me telling stories of my grandmother. It's just an intro to how i started writing.

"

October 4, 2011


Every year, on the first day of school, all of the students are asked a collection of questions that will apparently express who you are to the teacher. One of the continuously asked questions is, Who Inspires you? When I was younger, I always stopped and stared at the paper, pondering the question a bit. When your young, Inspire isn’t a word with a lot of meaning. It could be a movie star that you just think is cool or someone you think is interesting. But, as you get older, you think of the question with more depth and your answer shows more meaning. When the word Inspire was really just a word, I answered with musicians and movie stars, not realizing that my soon to be inspiration was right there in front of me my whole life. Sadly, the time I completely realized who I actually looked up to my whole life, was after she passed away.

My grandmother was more like a mother to me than anything else. Or even a best friend. When my parents went away on vacations, she was always there to watch me. The activities that we would do together were so completely different than what other four or five year old’s would do when being “babysat.” My grandmother taught me how to read, continuously moving me up levels of books when I was ready. Remember when you were a little kid and the waiters at restaurants gave you place mats that had little mazes and games to do for fun? I honestly didn’t find those fun at all when I was younger. Even more surprisingly, I would turn it over and do something that made my parents mouths drop in awe. I would start writing a story. I mean, it was never a sophisticated novel, I was only 7 and I’m definitely not a child genius. But, it was still a story that covered the whole paper, even sometimes continuing over to the other side.


A lot of the time, my grandmother would read books to me while we sat in the peacefulness of her living room. I always loved it when she read to me and as we both got older it became less and less of a habit. I had more things planned and more homework to do. God, I would change that all if I knew what was going to happen next. She was diagnosed with breast cancer. Things got worse and worse until she had to stay in the hospital, then permanently stay in a nursing home until she passed. In between the hospital and nursing home, she stayed at my house for a while. During that time, she asked me to read for her, which I thought was an honor since she read to me all my life. As I read to her, I would occasionally get the deep feeling in your throat that you get when your about to cry, because of all the memories that reading to her brought back. After a while of that, my mom found it extremely tiring and hard to take care of her and give her the correct medicine everyday, so she was moved to a nursing home. Everyday after school and field hockey practice my family would visit her at the nearby nursing home and talk to her. She was starting to lose memory more and more and it was hard for me to walk in that room without crying. I ended up getting bad grades that year because of all the homework that I skipped, being so tired when I came home. Soon, matters got worse and I came home from field hockey one day, finding out that I had lost someone who made me who I am today.


© 2011 Ariana H


Author's Note

Ariana H
No, this whole book isn't just about my grandmother. Its just an introduction about why i started writing in the first place.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Kat
Your grandmother sounds a lot like mine, extremely supportive. I'm sorry you lost her, she sounds fantastic. Great first chapter, I'm interested in knowing more (:

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is a beautiful first chapter. Your grandmother reminds me of mine, she never read to me but she was always there when others weren't and she was always kind. Beautiful first chapter and I can't wait to do more.
Do your best! =)

Posted 12 Years Ago


I loved it, I'm so sorry about your grandma, she sounds like an amazing person.

Posted 12 Years Ago


omw omw and OMW! This piece is so awesme and awesme and awesme! i loved every single moment of it! didnt see any clear errors! so well done =]... and the piece has alot of emotion in it that I loved! I actually felt that crying feeling when I read it! really good piece and I could totally relate to it =]...xx

Posted 12 Years Ago


awwwwww! Relly cute. I'm sorry about your grandma. She sounds awesome!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

453 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 4, 2011
Last Updated on October 4, 2011
Tags: teen, life, inspire


Author

Ariana H
Ariana H

MA



About
Hey! My name is Ariana. I am 16 years old; A Sophomore in high school. Reading is probably my biggest hobby. I LOVE to read. I like writing stories & poetry, but I'm a bit of an amateur. I also pl.. more..

Writing
Sure. Sure.

A Story by Ariana H