The Right to Pray

The Right to Pray

A Poem by Barry S. Maltese

There was a time, when I was a child.

When faith was a strength, and never defiled.

But then there were few, who decided today,

that God is offensive and be driven away.

So now all the many, who had God on their side,

gave up that great strength, and also their pride.

They are letting these haters kill what good people dared.

Except for the strongest who continuously declared . . .

"Yes, there's a God - we too have our rights.

We'll pray and rejoice - each day and each nights.

We wont make you do it. That is still your choice.

But we all will be damned if you silence our voice!

© 2010 Barry S. Maltese


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
"and no proof that there is any actual benevolent deity"...???

Clearly those who would contend there is no proof of God have not yet met Him. There is proof undeniable for those who have an interest. I've lived life both ways, with and without Him. Only those who have not knelt at His feet could deny that He is.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A beautiful written piece with a strong voice and wonderful flow...great last line...good work...

Posted 13 Years Ago


A beautiful sentiment most profoundly shared by me

Posted 13 Years Ago


Amen! Each and every word of this is true. We live in a land of religious freedom- freedom for every religion. I can't understand why the followers of christianity, the religion our country was founded on are the ones who are supposed to bend their beliefs. I believe in God... all I have to do is look in the eyes of my child...or even just out my front door... heck even take in a breath that the big tree in front of my house helps me to do....and I know there is a God. I'll never ask anyone else to give up their beliefs and I respect other religions, I'd just like that respect, in return.

The flow of this piece is amazing and the message is one that needed to be said.

Love it :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
"and no proof that there is any actual benevolent deity"...???

Clearly those who would contend there is no proof of God have not yet met Him. There is proof undeniable for those who have an interest. I've lived life both ways, with and without Him. Only those who have not knelt at His feet could deny that He is.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I have been in too many discussions, my dear Kaela, to not know what the other side feels. But to be respectful of all people's views of God is not to wipe out the practice of any Religion. I supported putting up a Nativity scene in our town square. When a Jewish leader in the Community came forth we agreed that a Menorah should definately be put up, even a Kwanza symbol - then the Atheist came forward and wanted it all torn down. . . . as if the view of a Manger would burn through his eye lids.
The proof of a benevolent deity comes from the peace that is shared in rejoicing their love. I find full proof in the mystery of life itself. I do not stop you from not believing, do not hinder the comfort I recieve from the Love of my God. . . . since God has been taken from schools and the public crime and hatred has increased. . . . respect has left societies in general.

Posted 13 Years Ago


So long since I have read you~
I am glad you are here spreading God's love.
I think prayer should be in schools .. a good poem and a great message!

Chloe

Posted 13 Years Ago


I don't think you understand the other side of it.
The idea is not that god is bad but that there are many different views and opinions about god and the goal is to be respectful of ALL people.
Also, since there are many negatives that can come from religion, and no proof that there is any actual benevolent deity, the wise man would dismiss dogma altogether, and attempt to live in peace.

Posted 13 Years Ago


this needs to be seen from the other side - and I agree, everybody has right to believe anything they like to; so far they wouldn't want to impregnate me with their ideology, I love them, too.wonderful poem. Time ago, I also visited your blog and have seen all the pictures you rave posted. I enjoyed to know your nice family -

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like the honesty in this piece. This is full of wise truth. Excellent job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Amen to that, Barry. I've heard that "America turns her back on God and wonders why God turns His back on her!" The silent majority is as unsettled as I've seen it since Viet Nam. I don't think people will just placidly watch as their rights are taken one by one much longer. Particularly liked the last four lines.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

669 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 6, 2010
Last Updated on January 6, 2010


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..