Reviews - In my opinion

Reviews - In my opinion

A Poem by Barry S. Maltese
"

Written for a contest created by a very special person.

"

Words can be a weapon. When weilded for peace it is one of honor - used to strike in anger, it becomes one of bitterness.

 

Words when formed into a review have the same effect.  It is not the review that should be questioned, but the reviewer.  Was the poem read as education or entertainment, or as an opportunity to find flaw with the person who had written it?  I have been reviewed by someone who picked apart my writing - but was so professional, the effects of the review was constructive criticism.  I grew as a writer from my encounter with that reviewer.  And I have also been picked apart by a vulture, who's words were so hateful, that their only intention could have been to inflate their ego, with the malice of mine. That reviewer loses credability, and their opinions dismissed.

 

Reviews are a very important aspect of this website.  We as writers create to be heard. A voice inside of us cries out.  And that stream of ideas leave our body through our fingers.  Like it or not, when we are reviewed we are also being judged as people.

 

It is a great responsability to review someone's writing, for we must assess the body of thought without hurting the writer as much as helping.  Many know this fact, and do not review as much as they write, for fear they might have to offend someone.  I have been lucky.  I have enjoyed the vast majority of what I have read - and have had to deliver very little criticism.

 

This is a great site, it offers opportunity for many writers to learn from the efforts of others, and to offer up their souls to be deseminated - dare I say disected.  I have been lucky to have met many wonderful people, and few who have felt the need to stomp on my thoughts.  I have grown as a writer, and person here.  I have learned much about others, and even more about myself.

 

 

© 2010 Barry S. Maltese


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Not enough people review properly. Properly done it aims to be helpful and encouraging. I see a few pompous asses on this site who try to hide their showing off under the banner of Trying To Help. My backside.
My approach: I surf and click on where it takes my fancy. I hope to enjoy. If I enjoy I tell the writer and if I feel I have anything to offer, I offer.
Sometimes, even if I don't enjoy - the piece may not be my cup of tea - I still offer a tuppence-worth.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

In a recent review. It felt more like a dressing down, than an actual review or even word of actual criticism. Some reviews I have come across also appear to be more to the effect of "your so deep, you should message me"

Posted 12 Years Ago


this is a breath of fresh air . . . so glad to read your thoughts on reviewing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Not enough people review properly. Properly done it aims to be helpful and encouraging. I see a few pompous asses on this site who try to hide their showing off under the banner of Trying To Help. My backside.
My approach: I surf and click on where it takes my fancy. I hope to enjoy. If I enjoy I tell the writer and if I feel I have anything to offer, I offer.
Sometimes, even if I don't enjoy - the piece may not be my cup of tea - I still offer a tuppence-worth.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

BRAVO!!! I also welcome constructive criticism as I realize I am not above becoming a more skilled writer! I appreciate your insightful comments as to the purpose of the reviewer when one "takes on" another's creative efforts.

There is one particular member of this site who has been a tremendous asset in helping me improve with my writing. If I had shunned the advice of this person because my own agenda was more important, then I would not be writing as I do.

Today, because of this kind and helpful fellow writer, I am able to count syllables, understand meter, etc,. I have soooooo very far to go, but I know because of other's insight into that which I create, the journey shall be a rewarding and enjoyable experience!

Thank you for your insight into our process of reviewing!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Concise. I always like that. A thoughtful piece with excellent logic; it demands I write a review which is equally thoughtful.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I agree, whole heartedly with every word here. Reviews are supposed to help us grow and improve not discourage us to the point that we are afraid to write, so much as our names. I always understand that, not everyone, will, necessarily, enjoy the content of a particular poem - it might not be there "style" but this is a big world and everyone has a different style. Personally, I want to know when I've misspelled or used a word in the incorrect context or if I call my write by a particular form name and I've butchered that form, I want to know these things. Frankly, I don't care if someone doesn't like the subject matter..if THAT is an issue, then I don't need the review. Very well said and I thank you for posting this :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Chloe . . . you are so funny, not a writer?! I consider you a very good writer with wonderful insights. Thank you for the kind words.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is true. I have had the same with some reviews.. picked apart and told how to make it better, nicely.. then picked apart and told i wrote like a seventh grader in an ugly way.
It is sometimes hard for me to tell someone something i see wrong as I am not a writer... but sometimes I will mail them..
Thanks for reminding us how important it is to do an indepth review with kindness and helpfulness.

Chloe

Posted 13 Years Ago


Hello, Barry, I am so glad to read this. To criticize a work of art such as poetry is to make a judgment of its overall merit or demerit and to support that judgment by reference to features it possesses. this activity is of great antiquity; we find Aristotle, for example, relating the excellence of Sophocles’ Oedipus Rex to the excellence of its plot construction. Criticism became a topic in poetry because reflection on the kinds of things said by critics generated various perplexities and in some cases encouraged a general scepticism about the possibility of criticism. your approach Barry is unbiased, and useful for every writer. 100 p - and thank you for sharing with us.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice thoughts Barry. I have been thinking about what I will say in my entry to the review question.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

745 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 5, 2010
Last Updated on June 5, 2010


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Silent Decade Silent Decade

A Poem by Bubo