The Prophecy Foretold: A Short Story from the Prophecy Universe

The Prophecy Foretold: A Short Story from the Prophecy Universe

A Story by Mocha
"

The background on how the prophecy was given to the Deiterran people.

"

The ruler of Deiterra, an eclectic territory filled with varying customs and people, sat patiently on her throne. She had summoned the fortune teller by the name of Futurae in an attempt to help her people understand what the future held for her land, and her rivals, the Nocterrans. She was known for her idiosyncrasy of scarily accurate descriptions of the future. Futurae was very much a legend, some even believed she did not exist. Her legend said that she was born with vision just like any other child, but later in life sacrificed her eyes to receive the gift of knowing all possible futures with terrifying accuracy.

Regina heard a subtle knock on her throne hall door, and waved a hand at one of her many guards lining the wall, indicating for them to open the door.

“State your name and business,” said a guard who was indistinguishable from the others. He, just like all of the other sentinels, wore white armour with a cloak that had the Deiterra symbol printed in a prominent gold. Nothing was special about him to the queen, he was yet another pawn in her chess game.

A low gravelly voice responded, “You, Miles of the Muerten family, have done very much for this land. But soon, you will be buried in a place of sand. Your righteous quest will come to an end, during a fight you will try to mend.” The guard, Miles, shivered internally at Futurae’s words. He of course know of her gift, but he never thought that she would tell him of his own demise.

“Futurae, stop harassing my guards.” said the ruler in a bored tone.

“Regina of the Imperio family, it seems as if your power shall dwindle-”

“I did not call you here, to foretell my future.” Regina interrupted with a huff.

“You summoned me so I can swindle-”

“I know why I summoned you, Futurae.” responded the ruler, “I need you to help me… finesse the current situation regarding the war.” She took a breath and then continued, “And stop speaking in those hideous rhymes, I know you do it just to seem cryptic but it’s really just bothersome.”

“What are you trying to say, Regina?” Futurae asked with an inquisitive tone. She of course knew, but still found amusement in feigning ignorance.

“I need you to prophesize our victory to the people.” Regina answered cooly.

“Ruler, there is not a victory in yo-” Regina’s gaze snapped towards Futurae.

“Then I guess we must..bend the truth then, correct?” Futurae gulped loudly. Her morals did not allow her to lie when she foretold futures, which led her to be seen as very trustworthy, yet now the ruler was requesting her to step back from this belief.

“I want you to say that a savior is coming. Someone that will turn the war to benefit us. They must be a great fighter, someone born of both sides.”

“But I do not lie.”

“I guess you must change that then.” Regina responded, “Again, this child must be a fighter.”

“Are you trying to portray this child as a masochist?” Futurae questioned with disgust creeping from deep within her voice.

“No no no, I want this child to fight hard and often, not necessarily enjoying the pain, but taking it upon themselves as a needed torture to benefit their land.”

“How will this prophecy even come true?”

“Manipulation.” Regina said with a bored tone once more, “Aren’t you supposed to be smart? Can’t you figure this out yourself?”

“And if I don't foretell a grandiose lie under the ruse of a prophecy?” Futurae’s voice quivered every so slightly at the mere thought of the horrors Regina was capable of.

“Then I guess,” Regina paused, “Nocterra tried to end you before you could prophesize their end.”

“So if I don’t follow your will, no will will I ever follow again.”

“Precisely. See, now you’re understanding.”

“Then I must go and perfect this-”

“You shall not leave until this is done and been approved by me. I cannot allow the chance of you going out and trying to tell the people of this conversation behind the prophecy.” Regina’s gaze wandered towards the window where she could see her immediate surrounding land, “I have a hold on these people and I refuse to loosen my grip.” Futurae nodded with a fear setting within her bones. She knew what was in her future.


A week passed until Regina stood at her balcony that jutted out over the front door of her palace. Her people gathered around her, a wave of murmurs surging through the crowd. Curiosity bubbled from everyone’s minds, wanting to know what their ruler had to announce. Regina stepped out in a lavish gown decorated in golds, pearls, and diamonds. The fabric itself was only a solid creamy white but the decorative pieces which surrounded her sleeves, waist, and neckline offered a much more formal look. A silver crown sat unmoving, placed directly upon the braids encircling her head in which ultimately formed a bun at the nape of her neck. As she slowly walked towards the edge of her balcony, she raised her hands in a signal of silence. The murmurs quickly died down and tapered off at a surprising speed. Her hands snuffed the silence like a cup would a flame, cutting directly the point of energy and followed by an immediate dim.

“People of Deiterra,” the Ruler Regina projected, “The humble and gifted Prophesier Futurae has come to me with news of a blessed future. I have brought her to you today t tell you of this as well.” Regina took three steps to the side and raised her hand to motion the guards to send Futurae to the balcony. Futurae stepped out, clothed in a grand blood red cloak with elaborate gold trim. Upon request, Futurae asked that her face be covered as always when telling the prophecy, but Regina wanted her to still look presentable so she had the luxurious velvet robe made to at least temporarily replace her usual tattered, grey, oversized one. Her scraggly brown hair fell down past her waist twisted into poorly done braids, tied off with dark brown leather chords. The cloak itself barely grazed the cobblestone floor and almost fully covered her worn black dress.

Futurae lifted her head slightly as to have her mouth face the crowd and slowly spoke, “A child born of the day and night, will be the force to unite, the fighting ends of gleam and gloom, or else all life will be sealed in their tomb.

"The kin of the opposing sides, will be the one to turn the tides, or chaos will be forever more, and the lands will be filled with war.”A quick rush of whispers surged through the commoners before Regina raised her hand to silence them once more.

“Due to this prophecy, I have reason to believe that a savior will be coming. We shall be the ones to win this war.” Regina informed the crowd, followed by shouts and cries of celebration of the prophesized victory. Regina smiled to herself and turned her head towards Futurae, who was turning pale at her inevitable future.


A week passed and the festivities dyed down, yet the area was still filled with music, joy, and thoughts of victory. That was, until, guards were seen gathering people to the castle balcony once more. They saw their queen in tears standing upon the edge, waiting for all the people to be summoned. And that was when she delivered the news of Futurae’s death. Threw tears Regina choked on the words describing the Nocterran attack on Futurae which had been fueled by the words of their inevitable loss. Sadness, remorse, and fear swept over the crowd as Regina continued to say that this would not stop them and they would continue to fight, especially since they knew they would win. Once her speech was done she bowed her hand in a moment of silence for the departed Futurae.

And, unbeknownst to the mourning crowd, she smiled a grin of victory to herself, knowing that her plan was coming along just as she had wanted it to.

© 2019 Mocha


Author's Note

Mocha
Please note that this is a tiny piece of background detail from a much larger story of mine. Also the photo is the symbol for Deiterra.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on October 4, 2018
Last Updated on January 30, 2019
Tags: fiction, fantasy, short story

Author

Mocha
Mocha

Chicago Suburbs, IL



About
Just a 17 year old with a passion for writing, astronomy, cosplay, photography, and being a general nerd. more..

Writing
Bitter Bitter

A Chapter by Mocha


OC Prompts OC Prompts

A Book by Mocha


Hypocrisy Hypocrisy

A Poem by Mocha