Hypocrisy

Hypocrisy

A Poem by Mocha

We live in a hypocritical world. People shout and scream for freedom of speech, but once someone contradicts their opinion they attack and discriminate. No matter how appropriate or inappropriate the occasion, People will shield their prejudice under the phrase “human rights!” Because it’s their right to yell hateful things and recite slurs at the funeral of a murdered gay man. Right? Because it’s obviously okay to berate the men who choose to kneel during the pledge of allegiance under the skewed logic of “my freedom of speech cancels out your freedom of speech”. The way our world contradicts is nothing short of a “two men walk into a bar” joke Except the bar is a bakery and the two men are getting married, And the bartender turned baker refuses to sell the couple anything under the guise of “freedom of religion”. They say “equal rights for everyone” But they forget the fine print at the bottom of their decree: “Just as long as you’re not Native American, Hispanic, black, or any other color besides white; “Just as long as you’re not gay, bi, or anything besides straight; “Just as long as you’re not transgender, or a women; “Just as long as you’re not Muslim, Hindu, or any other religion that falls under a negative stereotype” If only we were to step back and realize our flawed ways, Maybe we could start to stitch the deep wounds plaguing the body of our society Instead of just placing flimsy bandaids and calling it “the best we can do”. If only we could break down the barriers between nationalities, genders, sexualities, religions, and every thing that makes someone “different”. I mean, We eradicated segregation in the 1960s Yet we still build our own fences between “us” and “them”. With every tentative step forward society won’t hesitate to jump back into the safety of “This is how it’s always been!” If only we took our blinders off And realized that no one else is racing. It’s as if we each see in a different singular color. Maybe one day we can all realize that the rainbow isn’t a single hue.

© 2019 Mocha


Author's Note

Mocha
Any and all constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
Added on April 3, 2019
Last Updated on April 3, 2019
Tags: hypocrisy, society, equal rights, equality, discrimination

Author

Mocha
Mocha

Chicago Suburbs, IL



About
Just a 17 year old with a passion for writing, astronomy, cosplay, photography, and being a general nerd. more..

Writing
Bitter Bitter

A Chapter by Mocha


OC Prompts OC Prompts

A Book by Mocha