Doldrums

Doldrums

A Poem by Crystal L. Test

 I am the masthead
The lady of the ship
Proudly holding my head high
I live to lead my crew
The wind whipping my hair
All hands on deck
As we plunge forward
Manuvering walls of waves
That threaten to pull us
Deep into the blue-black depths
We perservered
Together, we prevailed

Now, I feel lost and alone
Resentful and tired
Always leading
Destination unknown
No end in sight
Stagnant for an infinite time
I've lost count of the days
Since we've made a move forward
I need to feel the winds of ch

© 2008 Crystal L. Test


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

How well, I know this story, Crystal. Been there many times. Especially the resentment side of things from leading or feeling the need to do so. My husband and I are complete opposites. I was the oldest-he was the baby. I find myself leading more than I want to, or things don't seem to get done. He is better than he ever has been, but sometimes he is too slow for me. :) I want it right now. That discontentment sets in and demands change, doesn't it?

I love the imagery here and how you gave the analogy of your life together on a ship. I can see you setting sail and coming to that place where you see no land.

Don't give up or drop your sail. Keep sailing and persevering--Communicate your feelings. The times we struggled the most was when we weren't communicating about what we were feeling.

(((hugs))), Carole

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I could really relate to this poem, Crystal, as I am also a person, who needs constant change. Just 'sitting around' waiting for something to happen is a nightmare for me, especially given the fact that, like the person in your poem, I like to be completely in control. This was a very perceptive way of describing a situation that is shared by so many. The imagery was beautiful and the contrast between freedom and limitation can be sensed in every line of the poem. The only comment I would make is re the spelling of 'manoeuvering', however, at the same time, I am aware that 'manuvering' may well be the American spelling. You have done a wonderful job and I will definitely add this poem to my favourites. Diane

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You wouldn't happen to be a Leo, would you? LOL. They are generally very comfortable in the lead, but hey if you are good at, then go girl!
Love the metaphor and very well written.
- M

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Nice annalogy with a ship - the winds of change - and the doldrums. Enjoyable poem filled with symbolism that speaks volumes. . . . Very enjoyable read.



Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

There is none as alone as the bowwoman on the ship, as she is tied there and must face whats coming to her. It came from the actual tradition of tying a woman to the bow for good luck!!! Savage or what?

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I really like this piece it seems like even she gets in a rut. and needs the winds of change. this is a wonderful piece. Great Job.
Debby

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Interesting - reminds me of the lady at the head of a ship. Nice write...great description. Thank you for sharing.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Doesn't this sound just like a female..enjoying the whole thing one minute and then down in the dumps the nexzt..guess we all are like that to some extent..God bless valentine

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

The winds of change.. i think it would be nice to feel those winds in more ways than one.
I like the way you centered this around sailing a ship .. sailing through life.. and then you hit a glacier.
Stagnation.. good use of a word we all know about and despise.
Very good writing, Crystal.

Chloe
xoxo

Was there a song by the scorpions called winds of change? i don't know but i remember the video and how i cried and felt so good about the wall coming down lol .. i am a bit sentimental.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Do we choose our own path, or is it chosen for us?
This is filled with dilemas, can we change path, or is all self determined?
So many questions, so few answers.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Groundhog day? Yep, I can relate to that...rarely know what day it is...and don't want to! Funnily enough, it didn't strike me as a 'doldrum' kind of piece, probably because of your reference to the sailing mast in the first verse, then...Man overboard!!!! You are not alone (sounds like a movie title) true though. Most of us go through phases of "why can't someone else take the lead for a change." Be not afraid Crystal, all will be well soon...I promise, but you must stop TAKING THE LEAD!!!!! Allow others to help, and they will if you're patient and can leave a bed unmade, dishes unwashed and piles of clean/dirty clothes on the floor...strategically placed, of course. We women are our own worst enemy...get yourself a drink and earplugs, kick off your shoes and put your feet up...that's an order...

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

660 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 8, 2008

Author

Crystal L. Test
Crystal L. Test

IL



About
I've been so busy and I really do apologize. Haven't been reading or writing. I will let everyone know when I'm back. ******************************************************************************.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Silent Decade Silent Decade

A Poem by Bubo


Untamed Untamed

A Poem by Bubo