Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Cynthia
"

Just a chapter :D

"

People cheered, they jumped and laughed as the sped down the road. Fairies laughed as they performed a trick; people cheered for the successful ones while they laughed at the fairies when they missed one; and elves sang songs to celebrate when the fairies finished all the prepared tricks and encouraged the crowd to ask them for more, and the fairies laughed and performed more.

 

I walked the street, I laughed with the street people together as a man jumped into an emptied barrel. The man tried to get out from the emptied, but his belly got sucked, people around me laughed even more, c’mon, that’s really funny, couldn’t you imagine a man with a belly to huge that made he got sucked? My stick made hands clapped and made a low cheering sound.

 

Yes, I was a doll, but I was a human sized doll, 5 foot 6, I had a long hair of brown, to my waist although my hair wasn’t smooth and was straw liked. However, No one would actually notice I was a doll, since a great doll maker made me, although my hair was made of straw or something alike.

 

However, I got something I was proud of,  I  looked like human, however, they would figure out I’m a doll if they hear my clap or jump, which would make a weird sound, like something wooden (which was what I exactly am) crashed to each other.

 

 People looked at me and smiled at me, yelling “ Hey, doll!” I laughed, “ Is not that I don’t have a name for you to call!” A woman laughed as well “Oh, little Sophia!” I groaned, “ Who said I’m little?” The woman just shook “ Honey, you’re always a kid to me. I bit my lips, and finally burst into laughter, “ Whatever, auntie Lily!”

 

Aunt Lily was the cake maker of our town, she loved to make cookies and chocolate cakes, as long as it was chocolate, she will make it. Everyone called her Aunt Lily since she was so kind and wise. She had a husband called Phi, he was a nice guy as well, our town loved this couple very much, since they were all kind and helpful.

 

It was the world where fairy tale and mortal combined together; we lived in peace, although sometimes there were conflicts between these two origins of livings. However, there was still a place where no one dares to go to, ‘ The Five Whole Island’.  It was where five mysteries lived; each of them controlled an element of this world, Air, Water, Fire, Earth, and Spirits.

 

 According to legends, Era, a silver-dressing creature, controlled the element Air; Jason, a blue-dressing creature, controlled the element water; Venus, a red-dressing creature, controlled the element fire; Adan, a green-dressing creature, controlled the element earth; while Alex, a black-dressing creature, controlled the element Space.

 

In legends, they created this world, however, there were legends that said they were evil as a devil. No one knows the truth, and this stories just passed through villages.

 

No one knew who they exactly were, no one ever saw them in person, the island, the creatures, the power they owned, were all mystery. They, themselves, were the legend.

 

I shook my head a bit; it was nothing recognized as a fact, well, it wasn’t teach in my mythology lesson. I smiled, all the livings here took lesson as a kid, although some of us, including fairies, who were already the most intelligent form of life around here didn’t take lessons at all, other than that, we all took 3 years of lesson until our graduation.

 

I sighed, ignoring the crowed around me, I walked into a street, it was dark, but I wasn’t scared. Everything was familiar to me, and I had already come here thousands of times; I laughed to myself and walked up to a pink building, it was decorated fancily, painted with golden and silver paint. The house hanged  a sigh “ The Wicked Stepmother & Her Daughters”.

 

I wasn’t insane, however, I knew, and everyone knew the ‘wicked’ part was easy to handle, once you figured out that stepmom, and oh, also her daughter, loved compliments.  Everyone knew if you give compliments, no matter how fake was it, if stepmom loved it; you would get what you want easily.

 

Ada, the blonde with big blue eyes, who was stepmother’s daughter I mentioned before greeted me in the hall after I walked through a long corridor with paintings and hanging jewelry “ Hi, Sophia, what do you need?” she laughed “ Long time no see.”

 

I shrugged “ Some advice from stepmother.”

 

 Ada, laughed “ Well, don’t you need to ask me, her daughter to find her? No one goes in,” she gestured a wooden door with a pink bell hanged down “ without my permission.” She blinked “ Well, yeah, that’s the truth.”

 

I smiled “ Well, beauty, won’t you let me greet your mother?” Ada, loved others called her ‘ beauty’, since she thought she was the model and beauty of this town. Maybe it was the truth, but that was gross somehow.

 

Ada blinked “ Well, I think so.” Ada turned to her back and yelled, her sharp voice was not matching her beauty, not at all. What you thought maybe a sweet sound, but what you heard was just a sharp screaming,“ Mom! Sophia! Mom?”

 

A woman coughed and walked from the corridor instead of the wooden door, “ Ada? If you were yelling to the door, I don’t think I could answer you. Also, who tells you to yell at your mom?”

 

The woman was stepmother, and yes, stepmother was her name, at least no one knows her real name. She wasn’t a normal kind of stepmother; she was beautiful, same as her daughter, a blonde, however, she had a pair of green eyes instead.

 

Stepmother smiled at me “ Hi, Sophia, dear, what can I help you?” She was easy to talk to once you give her enough compliments and made her feel she was unique and powerful, whatever. Well, the truth was, her whole family was a bunch of hags.

 

I smiled, “ stepmom? Don’t you remember you promised me well… you know?”

 

 Ada laughed as soon as I finished the sentence“ Fool, are you really serious about the whole turn into human thing?”

 

I bit my lip, although Ada was easily please, but she was still a b***h without a doubt. I said, “ Well, yeah, that is the plan, stepmom?”

 

Stepmother laughed, “ It’s true, dear. Ada? We were the beauty, the princess, we don’t shout or be rude.” Stepmother was teaching her fool lesson about ‘manner’ again to Ada again, well, maybe should I say, ‘beauty lesson’? Although I wouldn’t throw up at the word ‘beauty’, but I fear I would faint.

 

Ada just shrugged, Stepmother laughed, “ dear, of course I’ll make you try the taste of being human! It would be pleasant, I promised.”

 

Stepmother turned and gestured the sofa “ Sit there, wait for me, child.” I nodded, while I sat on the sofa, Stepmother toss out a few books and paper, and started to flip them page-by-page.

 

Ada sat down next to me and whispered, “ So? Are you sure you are going to do… well…‘that’? You know? There are risks.”

 

I shrugged and whispered back,“ Well, if I don’t try human, I will regret more.”

 

Ada nodded and hissed back, “ I ssseeee.”

 

I retorted, “ Mind your manner ‘beauty’.”

 

Ada snorted “ Whatever, like I really care.”

 

Stepmother raised her eyebrow at a piece of paper and she stopped scrabbling, while she started to read it. After a brief second, she threw that piece of paper away and started to scrabble another pile of paper.

 

I whispered to Ada, who was still probably…mad at me “ What’s your mom doin’?” I stopped for a moment or two and whispered again, in case she thought I was making fun of her mom, “ Really, I got no idea.”

 

Ada blinked twice and shook “ My mom sometimes go deranged, so, the best thing for you to do? Ignore her. Wait for here until she do something sane.”

 

While I blinked “ Like what?” Stepmother was already walking to us and screamed joyfully to me “ I got it! See?” She handed me a piece of paper “ A cast of spells and magic!” She exclaimed.

 

I took the piece of paper and started to read it lines by lines:

 

I summon humanity to go through my soul and win the power that makes me immortal, and keeps me human until the fifth midnight from the day I started the journey to…humanity…

 

I looked at Stepmother, she was still joyous of her success to this… spell for what she called it, and I asked, “Um stepmom Are you sure this will…well… work?”

 

Stepmother’s joyful face dropped “ What do you mean?” She insisted, “of course it will! And stop hurting my spell’s feeling, decide.”  Stepmom’s face brushed bright red; she added “ I mean it.”

 

I rolled my fake eyes, it wasn’t fun to do so, but at least it was better than sit there like a fool and say nothing. Do spells have feelings? I thought. That’s insane. I rolled my fake eyes again and nodded “ Well, yeah, I guess.”

 

Stepmother snapped, “ Why are you guessing? What do your soul, well, if you have one, told you to do?”

 

I pursed my lips “ Well, should I know? I do know I have a soul, but since…”

 

Stepmother cut me off; she was mad “ Ok, Little Doll! Go or not, your choice. And stop worrying my wonderful spells!” Stepmother was fierce with my no-trust to the spells, what she called powerful ones.

 

Ada whispered into my ears all of a sudden, “ Listen to her, it won’t be pleasant if she snapped at you again.” Ada cleared her throat and said “ Mom? You’re a lady, remember.”

 

I tried to hide my laugh, old lady, I bet. I smiled. Stepmother nodded at Ada and looked me in eyes again “ Well then, Sophia, what do you want?”

 

I said, meeting her eyes “ I take the consequences.”

 

Stepmother nodded “ Indeed.” She smiled at me “ Good job honey.” She patted on my head softly and smiled “ Great.”

 

Ada shrugged and hissed in my ears “ oh, honey. You owned me one. Remember.”

 

I looked at her and made a face when Stepmother looked away “ Oh, yeah?” I asked, “ What do you want? Doll clothing?”

 

Ada hissed “ Your head on a silver tray.”

 

I laughed darkly “ Then I bet you need to…”

 

Stepmother looked at me just as I was about to continue “ Sophia? Want to go or not? No time to hesitate.”

 

I looked at Ada “ Well, now, you owned me, I never know your mom is so pushy.”

Ada pursed her lips “ What? I can bare it for more than sixteen years.”

 

I bit my lips “ That’s you, only, that’s not me. I’m not her daughter and going to please her in ways nobody will even think of doing.”

 

Ada glared at me “ Whatever.” But I knew she meant it, she was mad, at me. Ok, she was already mad at me for two years, no damage done, right? No, she was really mad this time, no making fun.

 

I nodded “ Yeah, whatever.”

 

Ada hissed, “ Yes, right. What-ever.”

 

Just as I was about to argue again, grandmother shook “ You two, stop that, cant you? Stop chatting, I know you guys are friends, but just, stop.”

So, stepmother didn’t know her daughter was a b***h, oh yeah; Ada was stepmother’s beauty! Why couldn’t I think of that earlier?

 

I smiled “ Yes, stepmom. I think…” I cut myself off and corrected myself “ I am ready. Yes, I am.” I shrugged “ So, well, am I going to do it or not?”

 

Stepmom laughed, “ Is not me who kept saying ‘ I think, I think’.”

 

Ada laughed, but unlike from stepmother’s teasing smile, she was laughing evilly, I groaned, but stepmom and Ada both ignored me “ Mom, really, that’s funny.” But you could tell on her face that wasn’t a joke, she meant it, but stepmother couldn’t figure it out. People blind from love, but Stepmother blind from her daughter, what a waste.

 

Stepmother said proudly “ C’mon So! You’re my first experiment! “

 

And that was when my mouth hanged open.

 

 



© 2011 Cynthia


Author's Note

Cynthia
Most of it is on the chapter 1 Test, but I deleted it and just here, comes here and I add some details here :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very interesting chapter and I not really into fairies.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very interesting book.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love this!the storyline,the dialouge...am not a fairy tale kind of girl but i liked it!very captivating

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very colorful write .... nicely expressed , fine details ...
Good job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


wicked good cant wait for more :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is captivating... i feel like I'm reading a modern fairy tale but of young woman made of wood, instead of a young boy. Very clever!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is truly epic Cynthia Great Reading and truly captivating and magical... Keep writing this this is awesome

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh wow, you edited the story you have made. I love this Cynthia! I'll be waiting for the next chapter :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Kepp it coming..def. want to read more. nicely done :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


A very strong chapter. I like the flow and the conversation with the stepmother. A very strong ending to a excellent opening chapter. Thank you. I like the storyline.
Coyote


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

597 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 3, 2011
Last Updated on March 3, 2011


Author

Cynthia
Cynthia

Hong Kong



About
Sorry everyone, but I didn't go on this site regularly, I also turn off my read request, but will be up as soon as I find this site... worth spending time on Hello! My name is Cynthia, I'm from Ho.. more..

Writing
Did I? Did I?

A Poem by Cynthia


I'm Sorry... I'm Sorry...

A Poem by Cynthia



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Baby Bird Baby Bird

A Poem by Chelsea