Second Meeting

Second Meeting

A Chapter by cywsaphyre
"

In which The Black Fist crashes the metaphorical party, everything gets shot to hell, and Kisa meets a future partner while rushing to the aid of another.

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of Second Meeting.



Cloud on the Horizon

 

Chapter 2 - Second Meeting

 

Terms:

Resonance - An innate power possessed by a select group of people

Resonator - Those who possess a Resonance

Law Enforcement Commission �" A group controlling most of the government, seeks absolute power over all and the destruction of the Valhalla Order

The Black Fist - Fighting force under the Law Enforcement Commission

Valhalla Order - Fighting force opposing the Law Enforcement Commission; led by Commander Ozawa Hibiki

The Ruins - A large deteriorating abandoned area that house outlaws and criminals; broken earth hides an even darker territory underground where rogue Resonators live

Hijikata Toshizo �" The vice-commander of the Shinsengumi; a great swordsman and a talented Japanese military leader who resisted the Meiji Restoration


- Chapter 2: Second Meeting -

 

"Aizakawa!"

 

Aizakawa Shigure turned, bored silver eyes glancing dismissively at his superior.

 

"Yes, sir?" He drawled.

 

His superior glared at him. "Don't take that tone with me!" The man barked. "I'm you're commanding vice-officer and I expect you to treat me with respect!"

Shigure didn`t even attempt to stifle the arrogant sneer spreading across his sharp features. "Sir, with all due respect, I'll treat you in whatever way I want to, especially after your dismal attempt to catch our last target."

 

The vice-captain's jaw clenched as he glared at the taller man, face rapidly turning red. But before he could start yelling again, a familiar hand dropped heavily onto his shoulder and he turned to meet his captain`s gaze.

 

"Honjo-taichou," The second-in-command scowled at the ground, pushing back the fury threatening to burst from his mouth.

 

"Calm down, Yamazaki," The brown-haired captain gazed evenly down at his second officer, waiting for most of the anger to recede before turning narrowed green eyes on the newest member of his squad. He had been warned about Aizakawa Shigure's attitude, as well as the man's track record of being bounced from squad to squad because of it, but that they couldn`t refuse him from the police force since he came from the powerful Aizakawa family. Not to mention he was actually very good at what he did.

 

"Aizakawa," The captain started steadily. "I don`t particularly care what family you're from; I'll treat you the way I treat every other officer of your station. You won't receive half as much leniency in my squad as you did in the other squads and if I catch you disrespecting anyone on my team, superior to you or not, I'll send you back to HQ so fast you won't have time to blink. Am I understood?"

 

Shigure's own gaze hardened at the mention of his family, as well as the not-so-subtle threat in Honjo's warning. With another barely suppressed sneer, he gave a curt nod before turning away, waist-length black hair tied back in a low ponytail lashing angrily behind him.

 

Honjo, momentarily satisfied, motioned for his second-in-command to head back to his position. Yamazaki sent one last glare in the offensive man's direction before stalking off. The captain watched him go before moving off to his own station.

 

"Stick to your position," He tossed over his shoulder at Shigure. "We have to make sure nothing interrupts this race like last time, or we'll have more dead people on our hands. Use whatever means necessary to stop any mercenaries entering your area."

 

Shigure glowered coldly at the older man's back. Did his captain think he was stupid?

 

Lips thinning, he turned back to stare at the stadium as a roar rippled through the stands. Silver eyes narrowed as he watched eight racers, all decked in colorful racing uniforms, strode out to the starting line where their state-of-the-art racecars had been parked. His gaze scanned the competitors, lingering for a heartbeat longer than the rest on the white helmet and uniform that stopped on the innermost track, before continuing on, unimpressed.

 

He scoffed. Only idiots would think it impressive to be the youngest champion racer of all things in the history of mankind. And apparently, a lot of people were idiots, judging by the cheers and whistles and shouts of "Kisa-chan!" as said racer stepped forward and raised a hand to acknowledge the crowd before swinging herself into her matching black-streaked white racecar.

 

x.X.x

 

Not far from Shigure's position, a shock of blond hair bobbed amidst the many other people crowded in the stands. Takehiko had been lucky enough to grab a spot in the front row and was carefully setting up the required equipment needed to observe and record the race. From his bag, he took out his slim dark blue laptop, quickly turning it on and adjusting the self-designed program he had created to pass the time. The software was intended to hone in on a moving object and break down all its components, from speed to make to even the analysis of all other materials the object had come in contact with. Not one of his best works but still something he was proud of.

 

x.X.x

 

Inside the comfort of her racecar, Kisa scanned the crowds, a small grin making its way onto her face as she spotted the university student she had met earlier sitting in the front row. So he had taken her advice after all. Well, she would hate to disappoint. Besides, the challenge this offered her would make this race more fun than the dozens of others her agent had had her participate in during the last couple months. Satisfied, she watched with growing anticipation as the referee stepped up onto a higher platform, foghorn already in hand. She spared a quick glance behind her at the bright red and yellow racecar in the second lane. She personally knew the man driving it, Fenway Roan, and, in all honesty, even though he was a good racer, Kisa would be more than glad to place him in first for the full duration of the race, only to take it away from him at the very end. The man had a detestable personality, flaunting his triumphs at anyone who would or wouldn't listen, and irritatingly obsequious to those that were better than him.

 

The loud blare that resounded throughout the stadium almost forced Kisa's foot down on the accelerator. Years of habit had drummed that into her but she suppressed it for a full two seconds, waiting for the red and yellow racecar to pass her before blasting off herself. She didn`t have to look to know that she had confused all those in the stands and the distant babbling of the commentator's shrill voice made her smile.

 

Everything soon faded though as the albino focused on the racetrack in ahead, letting the wind curl and dance around her, tossing all the irrelevant noise away. Without pause, she weaved her slim white racecar across two lanes, effectively forcing two others to swerve and slow down before she sped up even more, shifting her car to avoid several oncoming obstacles. This was why she loved to race; save for the predetermined starting points, racers were allowed to drive anywhere they wanted within the racetrack, free to come up with their own plans on how to avoid the many obstacles blocking their path and preventing other racers from passing them. In a race, anything goes, and Kisa loved the lack of rules and the thrill that came with the joy of being able to let go and just fly.

 

There weren't many places that allowed that anymore, now that the political struggle for power had contaminated even Japan. So far, her races hadn`t been interrupted by any Black Fist mercenaries, but she had heard of others, and had even seen one broadcasted on media holograms. The result hadn't been pretty.

A flash of dark green at the corner of her eye caught her attention and she turned to glance at the racecar coming up beside her. The racer drew up, one hand lifting from the steering controls to give her a playful salute.

 

Kisa sighed in exasperation, giving a short wave in return before accelerating even further and successfully slipping ahead of the forest green racecar. A crackle made her glance down at the comm link at the right side of her control panel. A mockingly hurt tone drifted to her ears, and the albino rolled her eyes as her longtime friend voiced his complaint.

 

"Already moving on without me, Sa-chan? How could you be so cruel, leaving me behind like this?"

 

"Che, it's your own fault for being slow, Yama." Peering ahead, the albino swerved to avoid several steel spikes protruding from the ground before advancing even further. "Besides, I'm racing for someone today. Gotta make sure I overtake snake-man at the end."

 

"Ah, I see. Finally got yourself a boyfriend? You'll have to let me meet him sometime." Akabane Yamato's amused voice floated over the link, underlined with the slightest hint of steel.

 

Kisa huffed irritably. "What do you mean, 'finally'? I had a perfectly good date a few months ago. But you followed us and scared him to death before we even got to dinner! Same with all the other times! Even if I do have a boyfriend, which I don`t, I definitely wouldn't let you meet him."

 

Yamato hmm'ed dismissively, expertly spinning around a large boulder before straightening himself again. "The last one was a coward and the one before that was too old. The one before that one was an absolute idiot and the one before that was�""

 

"Alright, alright," Kisa interrupted. "I get it. They were all unacceptable because they couldn`t pass the great Akabane Yamato's expectations."

 

"Exactly. I'm glad you understand."

 

Kisa could practically see the cheerful expression on the other racer's face.

 

"You're impossible, you know that?" She grumbled.

 

Yamato chuckled lightly. "I know. But there's no boyfriend this time?"

 

The albino made a negative sound, quickly tapping a few buttons so that jets of air exploded from underneath her racecar, sending her flying into the air, soaring gracefully over the wall rising in front of her.

 

"Nope. I met a university student at the park just before the race started. His sensei sent him to do some sort of extracurricular project as punishment for being late. He has to record the timing of the car that comes in second today."

 

"And you just decided to be a Good Samaritan and help him out?" Yamato arched an eyebrow. "When did you start racing for fans?"

 

Kisa smiled. "He's not a fan. He knew the name Honami Kisa, but he didn't recognize me. Heck, he didn't even notice me until I started talking to him. First time anyone besides you actually talked to me normally."

 

"So you decided to reward him by making his life easier." An understanding grin spread across Yamato's face. "How kind of you. Too bad he won't know who helped him. You're planning to keep your helmet on again on the winner's podium, yes?"

Kisa mentally shrugged. "Easier that way, you know that. Fans go crazy when they see my face."

 

"That's because you are beautiful beyond compare." Yamato replied, only half teasing. His best friend's looks were nothing to laugh about. "Not to mention you're still single. They're all vying for your attention."

 

The albino rolled her eyes again, an unseen blush marring her features. "Shut up, Yama. I'm going on ahead. At this rate, snake-man will win."

 

Yamato's mouth quirked up into a lopsided smile. "Did it never occur to you that I might win today?"

 

The answer came instantly. "Never. Right now, the best you'll do is second place."

Yamato snorted. Only his albino friend could say something so arrogant and make it sound like a fact of life.

 

"I suppose so." Amusement flickered in hazel-flecked green eyes as he replied. "Then I guess I'll help you fend off everyone else. I'll take the bronze today, but you owe me!"

 

Kisa grinned. "Thanks. Dinner on me tonight then. See you at the finish line!"

 

And with that said, the albino activated a speed boost, doubling her speed and drawing dangerously close to the red and yellow racecar in front of her.

Several dozens of feet behind, Yamato shook his head, almost lazily drifting one lane over before slowing down for a moment, promptly causing the electric blue racecar that had been trying to sneak up on his right flank to swerve wildly before spinning out of control and out of bounds.

 

'Too easy,' He thought with a mental grin. 'But at least it's fun.'

 

Up ahead, Kisa curved around several metal poles randomly popping up from the ground before activating another speed boost and drawing even to the eyesore that had previously been ahead of her. Easily, she began inching forward, only to turn her head sharply to the side as something crunched heavily against her racecar.

 

'Oh he did not just dent my baby.'

 

Irritation bubbled up inside her, and she wanted nothing more than to knock the sycophant right back and out of the race. But that would only damage her car even more, not to mention the finish line was quickly approaching. The albino allowed the other racer to draw even with her again and, just as both of them reached the two gold flags signaling the end, Kisa floored the accelerator, shooting forward and over the finish line. At the same time, she activated one of the thrusters built into the side of her racecar, sending a jet of air crashing into the brightly colored paintjob next to her.

 

As Kisa sped over the finish line, she craned her head and watched with satisfaction as Fenway spun over the white line, narrowly missing one of the flags before skidding several more feet onto turf, kicking up dust and dirt, effectively taking a humiliating second place.

 

Finally slowing down, the albino steered her racecar into her own stall, grins and thumbs ups greeting her return. Over the cheers of the crowd, she could hear the commentator shouting excitedly about her win.

 

"And she's done it again! The Racing Queen has easily overcome all obstacles in this course and took first place with style! Honami Kisa scores gold once more!"

 

With a small smile, said gold medalist pulled to a stop beside her waiting agent and swung herself out of her car with ease.

 

"Well?" Raised eyebrows were sent in her direction as her agent, Chiyo Ayane, observed her, clipboard in hand. "Do I want to know why you stalled at the beginning?"

 

Kisa grinned unrepentantly from behind her helmet.

 

"I was helping a university student with his homework." Her grin widened when her agent shook her head, exasperation filtering into her expression.

 

"Whatever. A win's a win and," A rare smile of dark approval appeared on the older woman's face. "You managed to knock Fenway onto the terrace so I'll let it go this time. Now where's the other one?"

 

Kisa turned with her manager to focus on the track once more, watching as a forest green racecar weaved into their stall as well, skidding to a dramatic stop beside a laidback-looking man.

 

As she watched her best friend clamber out, helmet already off and messy brown hair falling into his eyes, the albino couldn't quite suppress the amusement welling up inside her as fans, mostly made up of girls, converged in the stands nearest the handsome racer, shoving and jostling with just as many male fans that made up her cheering section, screaming and waving signs with huge hearts drawn on them.

Ever since their two race teams had joined together, their fans had swelled in size, and both Kisa and Yamato found it hard-pressed to even step out onto the streets without mini handheld i-books shoved in their faces for autographs.

 

A sudden flurry of movement and panicked voices made all of them turn to an area in the stands farthest from their stall. Kisa felt her heart stutter as a gunshot rang out, sending the fans screaming and fleeing for the stadium's exit. Narrowing her eyes, she watched as several people in plain blue uniforms rushed toward the crowd, only to stop as several people in black uniforms opened fire on the civilians. Even from her distance, the albino could clearly see the bodies already slumped on the racetrack, and she flinched as she watched another body thud to the ground, clearly lifeless.

 

"The Black Fist,"

 

The quiet voice above her ear almost made her jump, and she turned sharply to look up at her best friend. There was a rare grimness in the usually playful expression that made Kisa frown.

 

"They were bound to appear sooner or later." Kisa replied, crimson eyes sober as she watched the police force hover uncertainly around the five mercenaries. While the police officers outnumbered the Black Fist members, the mercenaries still had hostages, so neither party was willing to move.

 

"Sa-chan," An arm wrapped around the albino's shoulder, urging her towards the stadium exit. "Let's get out of here while we still can."

 

Yamato glanced down at the albino, gently steering her to the door while still keeping an eye on the showdown across the stadium. He blinked in surprise when he was suddenly jerked down to the ground, but immediately understood when several bullets shot over their heads, slamming into the ground a few feet away. With a curse, he ushered the white-haired racer behind a metal truck meant for loading their cars and take them back to their garage.

 

"Where's Ayane-san and the others?"

 

Yamato glanced down at the urgent hushed tone of his fellow racer before motioning to the door. "They went on ahead. I told the assistant managers to get our agents out of here. They're not as fast as we are and if something happens, they're more likely to get hurt."

 

He glanced sideways at the twenty-one-year old, mouth quirking up again in a small amused smile.

 

Kisa scowled back, finally taking her helmet off and combing a hand through her short white hair. "What?"

 

Yamato's smile widened. "Nothing. I just forgot you could take of yourself."

 

Kisa rolled her eyes, chancing a peek around the side of the truck. "Well now you remember," She shot back bluntly. "So watch out for yourself next time."

 

Yamato chuckled. "I'll try to remember that. If not, you'll just have to save me again."

 

The albino sighed in exasperation.

 

"I'll be sure to do that," She promised good-naturedly. "Now how are we going to get out of here?"

 

Yamato's smile turned down as he reached into his racing uniform and pulled out a flat disc.

 

Kisa did a double take.

 

"Is that a bomb?" She hissed. "Those are illegal! Especially if you bring it here!"

 

The brown-haired racer shrugged.

 

"I figured that something like this would happen one of these days, so I came prepared." He peered sideways at the albino. "Besides, I'm not the one carrying a gun."

 

Kisa felt a flush of embarrassment rise and knew it was more than visible on her pale skin. "It's for protection." She muttered.

 

Yamato chuckled.

 

"Exactly. So is this." He cracked the disc and tossed it over the truck in one smooth movement. "Heads up. Or down, in this case."

 

Kisa ducked down and felt a thrum of affection when a familiar arm pulled her close once again so that she was mostly covered. The explosion a few seconds later shook the truck behind them and she found herself hoping both their racecars were safe.

 

"Come on." Yamato was suddenly pulling her to her feet, the smoke from the explosion curling around them. "Let's get out of here."

 

Kisa nodded and hurried after the older racer, only to falter and stop, looking back as another gunshot rang out. This time, instead of seeing smoke, something else flashed in front of her eyes.

 

"Sa-chan! What are you doing?"

 

The albino glanced back towards Yamato uncertainly before turning back again, and the image became clearer.

 

Hair like the sun. Black-rimmed glasses. Startlingly blue eyes. A face that hadn't quite lost all of its baby fat, making him look all the more childish.

She started.

 

It was the university student.

 

Blinking, the image seemed to blur before focusing again.

 

Glint of black. A gun. Pressed against…

 

"Sa-chan!"

 

Kisa jerked, blinking again and this time, the image disappeared and Yamato's face replaced it, hovering anxiously in front of her.

 

"What's wrong?" Yamato peered into his younger friend's dazed eyes. "Are you okay?"

Kisa nodded agitatedly before moving around her the brown-haired racer and pushing through the smoke towards the general area where her car was.

 

"Sa-chan! Stop! Just stop for a moment! What are you doing?" Yamato's hand caught hers and she was pulled back and spun around, firm hands on her shoulders holding her in place.

 

Kisa opened her mouth and began to babble. "The university student from earlier. He's in trouble! I saw! One of the mercenaries had him! They're dragging him away and the police aren't fast enough! I have to go help-"

 

"Kisa!"

 

The albino stopped, taking a deep breath as patient green eyes bored into her own.

 

Yamato searched the younger racer's face.

 

"You saw?" He finally asked, frowning down at her. "Through all that smoke?"

 

Kisa nodded, too worried to actually wonder exactly how she had seen. She tore away from Yamato's grip and ran towards her car. Relief flooded her as she realized the white racecar hadn't been damaged and, slipping her helmet back on, she swung herself into the vehicle, starting it once more.

 

She tapped a few keys and felt the racecar shift, changing into a wider and longer model that could now hold three other people. Without hesitation, she floored the accelerator and wheeled out onto the track, bursting out of the smoke at top speed and heading for the opposite side of the stadium where an exit wide enough for cars had been built.

 

"Has anyone ever told you that you're one of the biggest idiots on the face of the planet? And I must be an even bigger idiot for following you."

 

Kisa blinked in surprise before a wave of relief spread through her as she caught sight of a familiar green car inching its way up beside her.

 

"It was your own choice." She pointed out, not quite able to keep the smile out of her voice.

 

Yamato snorted, shifting gears as well to change his racecar into a four-seater. "Of course. Didn't you know? Idiots have to stick together. Although, you owe me more than dinner now."

 

Kisa laughed outright. "Alright, alright. I'll be sure to pay you back in full."

 

And the two sped off, racing over the terrace and out of the stadium after the mercenaries.

 

x.X.x

 

"Yamazaki!" Honjo barked in the comm link as he swerved his police car to avoid most of the gunfire raining down on them. "Go around and cover the left! Don't let them escape!"

 

"Yes, sir!" Came the prompt reply before a car in front of him broke away from the group and took a sharp left turn, wheels crunching rubble. The chase had taken them clear out of the city and, while that was a good thing for civilians, the chase was made harder with the rougher landscape they found themselves in.

 

Honjo gritted his teeth before switching to a private line. "Aizakawa, why didn't you say something? You had a clear view of that part of the stands! You could've warned the rest of us!"

 

There was a moment's silence before his newest charge's voice filtered over the line.

 

"You ordered me to watch my area, sir." Honjo could practically see the other's scorn manifesting itself in front of him. "I did my job like you asked me to. The stands where the mercenaries were trying to hide in were not in my area."

 

The captain forced himself to take a deep breath and count to ten twice before opening his mouth again.

 

"Next time," He said levelly. "Even if it's not in your area, report it regardless. We can prevent more deaths that way."

 

"Are you saying it was my fault for the deaths of the civilians today?" Shigure's voice was sharp and hard. "If you must place blame, blame yourself for insufficient orders."

Honjo snarled as the link was cut. It was only through years of discipline that he didn't just simply rip the doors of his vehicle open, storm over to the other officer, and strangle him through the window, powerful family be damned.

 

Preoccupied with this, he almost missed the flash of lightning weaving through a back alley. Swearing, he roared in the comm link, "All units take cover and then pull back! They've sent in their Resonators! This is out of our hands now!"

 

Without pausing, he dove out of his own car, rolling away and scrambling behind a thick but crumbling wall just in time as the lightning crashed into the middle of their vehicles. Grimacing, he pulled out an energy gun, quickly loading it with an electric capsule.

 

Having already given the order to retreat and hoping none of his squad had gotten too badly injured, Honjo peered around the wall before sprinting for the other side of the clearing. The mercenaries still had one civilian and there was no way he was retreating without him. Six civilians had fallen today; there was no way he would let a seventh die.

 

"Taichou!"

 

The low whisper made him whip his head around, meeting the slightly anxious gaze of his second-in-command. "I gave the order to retreat, Yamazaki!" He snapped. "Get outta here! The Black Fist sent their Resonators!"

 

Yamazaki set his jaw in his typical stubborn way and pulled back the safety on the high-voltage laser gun in his hands.

 

"Sorry sir. My place is with you. And besides, I don't think I can stand another second of being in the same vicinity as Mr. High-and-Mighty. I might kill him. You don't want me to kill him, do you Taichou? It's best if I stay with you."

 

Honjo could only sigh in exasperation. "Fine, but stay close. If you die, don't come back to haunt me for not warning you."

 

The second officer only grinned in response before following his captain as they both sprinted for the next cover. Both opened fire as they caught sight of familiar black uniforms, and then just as quickly threw themselves to the ground as another flash of lightning lashed above their heads.

 

"A lightning Resonance," Honjo muttered irritably. "Just great. Where's Valhalla when you actually need them?"

 

"Sir!" Yamazaki gestured ahead. "It's that civilian!"

 

Honjo turned, eyes zeroing in on a shock of blond hair in the midst of all that black, visibly being dragged towards a waiting car. With a curse, the captain started for the group.

 

"Sir," Yamazaki started quietly. "We're on the edge of the Ruins. The ground's unstable here."

 

Honjo only offered a curt nod in return but didn't stop, keeping his steps as light as physically possible. The Ruins was a large abandoned area that housed outlaws and criminals, and was so deteriorated that even parts of the ground itself was crumbling, the broken chunks only serving to create an even darker territory underground where rogue Resonators were rumored to live.

 

His eyes darted down as something shifted and gave about an inch under his boots. "Yamazaki," He voiced softly. "That's a long distance laser you have, right?"

 

Grim humor flickered across the second officer's face as he raised the weapon. "Yes, sir."

 

Honjo nodded again, narrowing his eyes and shouldering his own gun.

 

"Open fire."

 

The force of the recoil on the energy gun almost forced the captain back but he held his ground, ignoring the fact that he had sunk another few inches downward. He still wasn't used to these more advanced weapons but standard bullets just didn't cut it with the Resonators.

 

"Let's go!" He barked as both their attacks hit their targets. "Get the civilian and then get out. I'll cover you."

 

The two bounded forward, heading for the cloud of dust their weapons had kicked up.

 

x.X.x

 

Shigure glanced disdainfully at the complete wreckage surrounding him. Stepping easily around bodies and pieces of metal mixed with rubble, he headed back in the direction of his new headquarters.

 

"Hey, Aizakawa,"

 

Silver eyes peered disinterestedly to the side, taking in one of his new coworkers trying to lift another clearly unconscious officer, an ugly gash oozing blood from his forehead.

 

"I could use some help here." The officer's tone was tired but still good-naturedly polite.

 

'As if it's a given that I'll help him,' Shigure scoffed, disgust edging into his expression before he turned abruptly and continued on his way.

 

"The captain's orders were to pull back." He pointed out, voice monotonous. "If he can't follow them, leave him."

 

A long, tension-filled silence trailed after him as his words resounded around the small clearing, wind scattering his blunt words to the four corners. Without faltering or looking back when angry mutters reached his ears, Shigure kept moving, not even pausing when the officer spoke again.

 

"You're one hell of a heartless b*****d, ya know that?"

 

The man's voice was still light and civil, but the ease with which he had previously been spoken to was gone.

 

Not that he cared. If a person couldn't take care of themselves when they were actually supposed to, they deserved to be left behind.

 

A moment later, Shigure stopped, sure steps halting again as several men in dark uniforms slipped from the shadows of the crumbling buildings around them. One of them stepped forward, features cold and jaded, gun already at his side.

 

"For attending and allowing such an event to happen without reporting it to the Commission," The mercenary immediately began to intone. "You are all hereby arrested and will be taken in for further questioning. Any resistance will result in immediate death."

 

Shigure's eyes narrowed, scanning the five intruders before casting his gaze onto the officer he had been talking to. His coworker had finally lowered the unconscious man he had been trying to help and stepped up beside him.

 

"The Civilians' Defense Department answers directly to the Prime Minister." He voiced steadily, tone pleasant and a small smile to match etched on his features, as if they were simply having a casual conversation over tea. "The Commission doesn't have any say over what we do."

 

"The Commission is the Prime Minister's representative," The mercenary countered mechanically. "Anything we do is approved by the Prime Minister."

 

"I'll believe that when I hear it from my Captain." The officer replied, smile hardening.

 

The mercenary gave some semblance of a shrug. "So be it. Your name?"

 

"Hijikata Toshizo."

 

A nearby officer coughed, the sound coming out suspiciously like laughter.

The black-clad soldier's face turned a dull red before he snapped again, "What's your name?"

 

"… Himura Shunsuke."

 

The mercenary nodded, raising his gun. "Himura Shunsuke, we will take this as a form of resistance. By order of the Law Enforcement Commission, you will be�""

 

None of them ever knew exactly what Himura Shunsuke would be, and Shigure watched with a raised eyebrow as the mercenary dropped like a stone, having been subjected to a blinding high kick in the head.

 

"Sorry," The offending officer said mildly, lowering his leg. "I don't particularly feel like listening to anything you have to say."

 

The smile finally disappeared, a grim slash taking its place as brown eyes glittered above it, annoyance seeping through for all to see. "Besides, our department has always worked against the Commission. That's not going to change anytime soon."

In one practiced movement, the four remaining mercenaries raised their guns, preparing to fire, but Shunsuke was already tackling another one to the ground. Two other officers who weren't too badly injured threw themselves on another, bringing him down with sheer weight alone and wrestling with the lethal weapon clutched tightly in the mercenary's hands.

 

Shigure released an imperceptible sigh as the other two aimed their guns at him.

 

"You're in my way," He stared coolly at the mercenaries standing in front of him. "Move."

 

One of them sneered and fired, only to snarl when Shigure simply stepped to the side.

 

With an irritated frown, Shigure kicked at a crooked metal pole littering the ground, catching it as it flipped into the air.

 

One of the soldiers laughed. "Whatcha gonna do with that? We got guns, ya know."

Shigure weighed the pole in one hand before letting a smirk ripple across his features. In the blink of an eye, he darted forward, metal rod lashing out at a blinding speed and crashing against the back of one of the mercenaries' necks, effectively breaking it with a resounding 'snap'. The other mercenary didn't even manage to fire off a shot before he too was taken out, a blow to the side of his head sending him crashing into the side of a crumbling building.

 

Scoffing once more, the youngest of the Aizakawa family dropped the pole and started off for his destination once more, ignoring the mixture of shock and fear on his coworkers' faces.

 

The sudden, distant sound of engines made them switch their focus and even Shigure stopped once again, watching as two familiar cars entered the area.

 

x.X.x

 

Kisa sped towards the wreckage of metal and stone, slowing down as she caught sight of several people scattered about. Behind her, Yamato also slowed before coming to a stop.

 

Stepping out, Yamato removed his helmet and surveyed the damage. Leaning back into his car, he activated another structure change and his previous four-seater responded by extending the seating to eight, with a moderately large space in the back, enough for several people to lie down in. Straightening again, he offered a genial smile to the confused officers.

 

"We're here to help," He explained when nobody moved. "You can load the injured into the back and I'll take you to the hospital."

 

A murmur rushed through the officers assembled there before an officer stepped forward, carelessly trodding over a black-uniformed body as he extended a dusty hand.

 

"Himura Shunsuke, the officer-in-charge at the moment. Thanks for coming."

 

Yamato blinked, open amusement in the line of his mouth as he accepted the greeting without hesitation. "Akabane Yamato, racer, and technically took the bronze today though I never reached the podium. Wasn't my idea to come. Hers."

 

The racer waved a hand in the direction of the black-and-white car parked several feet away and Shunsuke turned his focus on the world's top racer as a helmeted head peered out of the driver's window.

 

Kisa flipped up the visor of her helmet, acknowledging the officer-in-charge with a nod before scanning the crowd.

 

"Has anyone seen a blond civilian around?" She called out. "He should have a Sasaki University uniform on."

 

Shunsuke nodded. "Our captain and vice-captain are going after him now. They should be at the edges of the Ruins." Guessing the racer's intention, he hastily added, "You can leave it to them. He's in capable hands."

 

But the albino only offered a grateful smile in return before turning to her fellow racer.

 

"Yama," Kisa called out, leaning further out of her window. "I'm going ahead. My car's lighter so I'll fare better in the Ruins than you would."

 

Yamato frowned before nodding reluctantly. "Alright, but take care. I'll meet up with you later. Don't go dying on me. You still owe me dinner."

 

Kisa nodded one last time with a small grin before ducking back inside her car, only to pause as an icy voice interrupted her actions.

 

"Direct interference by civilians is against the law."

 

Kisa felt irritation tugging at her, itching to be heard as she snapped back without missing a beat, "Then you can arrest me after I make sure the university kid is alright."

 

She turned, and burning crimson clashed with biting silver. The albino scoffed as she took in the relatively clean uniform, unstained by the grime and dust and blood of those that had been injured, as well as the way the black-haired officer stood quite a ways apart from his coworkers.

 

"You're right, you know," She told him softly, gaze unwavering. "Rules, real rules, are made to protect people, and those who break them should be punished. But sometimes, those same rules are meant to be broken, even if punishment is the result. Besides," Her eyes narrowed. "Those who leave behind comrades in favor of following rules are even worse."

 

Her gaze tilted up again, observing the flinty, shadowed silver eyes that stared back at her, void of any thoughts or emotions. Finally turning fully around, the racer adjusted her helmet, throwing behind her one last parting comment that had struck her the moment she had laid eyes on the man.

 

"You have really boring eyes."

 

With that said, Kisa eased the accelerator down, and headed for the Ruins, concentration now fully on the task at hand.

 

x.X.x

 

A chuckle broke the silence the top racer had left behind. Curious eyes turned to Shunsuke who offered a smile in the remaining racer's direction.

 

"I like her." He offered cheerfully, glancing at the still figure of his newest colleague. "'Boring eyes.' Couldn't have phrased it better myself."

 

Yamato smiled as he headed for one of the officers propped up against a crumbling wall, leg twisted at a painfully odd angle.

 

"She has that effect on people."

 

Further away, Shigure only narrowed his eyes further before turning on his heel and continuing towards the city. He couldn't care less what the white-haired racer had to say. She obviously had no idea what she was talking about.

 

After all, she was only a civilian, and far beneath him in station. And knowing his new captain's character, he doubted the woman would be arrested. He wouldn't see her again anyway.

Cloud on the Horizon

 

Chapter 2 - Second Meeting

 

Terms:

Resonance: An innate power possessed by a select group of people

Resonator: Those who possess a Resonance

Law Enforcement Commission: A group controlling most of the government, seeks absolute power over all and the destruction of the Valhalla Order

The Black Fist: Fighting force under the Law Enforcement Commission

Valhalla Order: Fighting force opposing the Law Enforcement Commission; led by Commander Ozawa Hibiki

The Ruins: A large deteriorating abandoned area that house outlaws and criminals; broken earth hides an even darker territory underground where rogue Resonators live

Hijikata Toshizo: The vice-commander of the Shinsengumi; a great swordsman and a talented Japanese military leader who resisted the Meiji Restoration


- Chapter 2: Second Meeting -

 

"Aizakawa!"

 

Aizakawa Shigure turned, bored silver eyes glancing dismissively at his superior.

 

"Yes, sir?" He drawled.

 

His superior glared at him. "Don't take that tone with me!" The man barked. "I'm you're commanding vice-officer and I expect you to treat me with respect!"

Shigure didn`t even attempt to stifle the arrogant sneer spreading across his sharp features. "Sir, with all due respect, I'll treat you in whatever way I want to, especially after your dismal attempt to catch our last target."

 

The vice-captain's jaw clenched as he glared at the taller man, face rapidly turning red. But before he could start yelling again, a familiar hand dropped heavily onto his shoulder and he turned to meet his captain`s gaze.

 

"Honjo-taichou," The second-in-command scowled at the ground, pushing back the fury threatening to burst from his mouth.

 

"Calm down, Yamazaki," The brown-haired captain gazed evenly down at his second officer, waiting for most of the anger to recede before turning narrowed green eyes on the newest member of his squad. He had been warned about Aizakawa Shigure's attitude, as well as the man's track record of being bounced from squad to squad because of it, but that they couldn't refuse him from the police force since he came from the powerful Aizakawa family. Not to mention he was actually very good at what he did.

 

"Aizakawa," The captain started steadily. "I don't particularly care what family you're from; I'll treat you the way I treat every other officer of your station. You won't receive half as much leniency in my squad as you did in the other squads and if I catch you disrespecting anyone on my team, superior to you or not, I'll send you back to HQ so fast you won't have time to blink. Am I understood?"

 

Shigure's own gaze hardened at the mention of his family, as well as the not-so-subtle threat in Honjo's warning. With another barely suppressed sneer, he gave a curt nod before turning away, waist-length black hair tied back in a low ponytail lashing angrily behind him.

 

Honjo, momentarily satisfied, motioned for his second-in-command to head back to his position. Yamazaki sent one last glare in the offensive man's direction before stalking off. The captain watched him go before moving off to his own station.

 

"Stick to your position," He tossed over his shoulder at Shigure. "We have to make sure nothing interrupts this race like last time, or we'll have more dead people on our hands. Use whatever means necessary to stop any mercenaries entering your area."

 

Shigure glowered coldly at the older man's back. Did his captain think he was stupid?

 

Lips thinning, he turned back to stare at the stadium as a roar rippled through the stands. Silver eyes narrowed as he watched eight racers, all decked in colorful racing uniforms, strode out to the starting line where their state-of-the-art racecars had been parked. His gaze scanned the competitors, lingering for a heartbeat longer than the rest on the white helmet and uniform that stopped on the innermost track, before continuing on, unimpressed.

 

He scoffed. Only idiots would think it impressive to be the youngest champion racer of all things in the history of mankind. And apparently, a lot of people were idiots, judging by the cheers and whistles and shouts of "Kisa-chan!" as said racer stepped forward and raised a hand to acknowledge the crowd before swinging herself into her matching black-streaked white racecar.

 

x.X.x

 

Not far from Shigure's position, a shock of blond hair bobbed amidst the many other people crowded in the stands. Takehiko had been lucky enough to grab a spot in the front row and was carefully setting up the required equipment needed to observe and record the race. From his bag, he took out his slim dark blue laptop, quickly turning it on and adjusting the self-designed program he had created to pass the time. The software was intended to hone in on a moving object and break down all its components, from speed to make to even the analysis of all other materials the object had come in contact with. Not one of his best works but still something he was proud of.

 

x.X.x

 

Inside the comfort of her racecar, Kisa scanned the crowds, a small grin making its way onto her face as she spotted the university student she had met earlier sitting in the front row. So he had taken her advice after all. Well, she would hate to disappoint. Besides, the challenge this offered her would make this race more fun than the dozens of others her agent had had her participate in during the last couple months. Satisfied, she watched with growing anticipation as the referee stepped up onto a higher platform, foghorn already in hand. She spared a quick glance behind her at the bright red and yellow racecar in the second lane. She personally knew the man driving it, Fenway Roan, and, in all honesty, even though he was a good racer, Kisa would be more than glad to place him in first for the full duration of the race, only to take it away from him at the very end. The man had a detestable personality, flaunting his triumphs at anyone who would or wouldn't listen, and irritatingly obsequious to those that were better than him.

 

The loud blare that resounded throughout the stadium almost forced Kisa's foot down on the accelerator. Years of habit had drummed that into her but she suppressed it for a full two seconds, waiting for the red and yellow racecar to pass her before blasting off herself. She didn`t have to look to know that she had confused all those in the stands and the distant babbling of the commentator's shrill voice made her smile.

 

Everything soon faded though as the albino focused on the racetrack in ahead, letting the wind curl and dance around her, tossing all the irrelevant noise away. Without pause, she weaved her slim white racecar across two lanes, effectively forcing two others to swerve and slow down before she sped up even more, shifting her car to avoid several oncoming obstacles. This was why she loved to race; save for the predetermined starting points, racers were allowed to drive anywhere they wanted within the racetrack, free to come up with their own plans on how to avoid the many obstacles blocking their path and preventing other racers from passing them. In a race, anything goes, and Kisa loved the lack of rules and the thrill that came with the joy of being able to let go and just fly.

 

There weren't many places that allowed that anymore, now that the political struggle for power had contaminated even Japan. So far, her races hadn`t been interrupted by any Black Fist mercenaries, but she had heard of others, and had even seen one broadcasted on media holograms. The result hadn't been pretty.

A flash of dark green at the corner of her eye caught her attention and she turned to glance at the racecar coming up beside her. The racer drew up, one hand lifting from the steering controls to give her a playful salute.

 

Kisa sighed in exasperation, giving a short wave in return before accelerating even further and successfully slipping ahead of the forest green racecar. A crackle made her glance down at the comm link at the right side of her control panel. A mockingly hurt tone drifted to her ears, and the albino rolled her eyes as her longtime friend voiced his complaint.

 

"Already moving on without me, Sa-chan? How could you be so cruel, leaving me behind like this?"

 

"Che, it's your own fault for being slow, Yama." Peering ahead, the albino swerved to avoid several steel spikes protruding from the ground before advancing even further. "Besides, I'm racing for someone today. Gotta make sure I overtake snake-man at the end."

 

"Ah, I see. Finally got yourself a boyfriend? You'll have to let me meet him sometime." Akabane Yamato's amused voice floated over the link, underlined with the slightest hint of steel.

 

Kisa huffed irritably. "What do you mean, 'finally'? I had a perfectly good date a few months ago. But you followed us and scared him to death before we even got to dinner! Same with all the other times! Even if I do have a boyfriend, which I don`t, I definitely wouldn't let you meet him."

 

Yamato hmm'ed dismissively, expertly spinning around a large boulder before straightening himself again. "The last one was a coward and the one before that was too old. The one before that one was an absolute idiot and the one before that was�""

 

"Alright, alright," Kisa interrupted. "I get it. They were all unacceptable because they couldn`t pass the great Akabane Yamato's expectations."

 

"Exactly. I'm glad you understand."

 

Kisa could practically see the cheerful expression on the other racer's face.

 

"You're impossible, you know that?" She grumbled.

 

Yamato chuckled lightly. "I know. But there's no boyfriend this time?"

 

The albino made a negative sound, quickly tapping a few buttons so that jets of air exploded from underneath her racecar, sending her flying into the air, soaring gracefully over the wall rising in front of her.

 

"Nope. I met a university student at the park just before the race started. His sensei sent him to do some sort of extracurricular project as punishment for being late. He has to record the timing of the car that comes in second today."

 

"And you just decided to be a Good Samaritan and help him out?" Yamato arched an eyebrow. "When did you start racing for fans?"

 

Kisa smiled. "He's not a fan. He knew the name Honami Kisa, but he didn't recognize me. Heck, he didn't even notice me until I started talking to him. First time anyone besides you actually talked to me normally."

 

"So you decided to reward him by making his life easier." An understanding grin spread across Yamato's face. "How kind of you. Too bad he won't know who helped him. You're planning to keep your helmet on again on the winner's podium, yes?"

Kisa mentally shrugged. "Easier that way, you know that. Fans go crazy when they see my face."

 

"That's because you are beautiful beyond compare." Yamato replied, only half teasing. His best friend's looks were nothing to laugh about. "Not to mention you're still single. They're all vying for your attention."

 

The albino rolled her eyes again, an unseen blush marring her features. "Shut up, Yama. I'm going on ahead. At this rate, snake-man will win."

 

Yamato's mouth quirked up into a lopsided smile. "Did it never occur to you that I might win today?"

 

The answer came instantly. "Never. Right now, the best you'll do is second place."

Yamato snorted. Only his albino friend could say something so arrogant and make it sound like a fact of life.

 

"I suppose so." Amusement flickered in hazel-flecked green eyes as he replied. "Then I guess I'll help you fend off everyone else. I'll take the bronze today, but you owe me!"

 

Kisa grinned. "Thanks. Dinner on me tonight then. See you at the finish line!"

 

And with that said, the albino activated a speed boost, doubling her speed and drawing dangerously close to the red and yellow racecar in front of her.

Several dozens of feet behind, Yamato shook his head, almost lazily drifting one lane over before slowing down for a moment, promptly causing the electric blue racecar that had been trying to sneak up on his right flank to swerve wildly before spinning out of control and out of bounds.

 

'Too easy,' He thought with a mental grin. 'But at least it's fun.'

 

Up ahead, Kisa curved around several metal poles randomly popping up from the ground before activating another speed boost and drawing even to the eyesore that had previously been ahead of her. Easily, she began inching forward, only to turn her head sharply to the side as something crunched heavily against her racecar.

 

'Oh he did not just dent my baby.'

 

Irritation bubbled up inside her, and she wanted nothing more than to knock the sycophant right back and out of the race. But that would only damage her car even more, not to mention the finish line was quickly approaching. The albino allowed the other racer to draw even with her again and, just as both of them reached the two gold flags signaling the end, Kisa floored the accelerator, shooting forward and over the finish line. At the same time, she activated one of the thrusters built into the side of her racecar, sending a jet of air crashing into the brightly colored paintjob next to her.

 

As Kisa sped over the finish line, she craned her head and watched with satisfaction as Fenway spun over the white line, narrowly missing one of the flags before skidding several more feet onto turf, kicking up dust and dirt, effectively taking a humiliating second place.

 

Finally slowing down, the albino steered her racecar into her own stall, grins and thumbs ups greeting her return. Over the cheers of the crowd, she could hear the commentator shouting excitedly about her win.

 

"And she's done it again! The Racing Queen has easily overcome all obstacles in this course and took first place with style! Honami Kisa scores gold once more!"

 

With a small smile, said gold medalist pulled to a stop beside her waiting agent and swung herself out of her car with ease.

 

"Well?" Raised eyebrows were sent in her direction as her agent, Chiyo Ayane, observed her, clipboard in hand. "Do I want to know why you stalled at the beginning?"

 

Kisa grinned unrepentantly from behind her helmet.

 

"I was helping a university student with his homework." Her grin widened when her agent shook her head, exasperation filtering into her expression.

 

"Whatever. A win's a win and," A rare smile of dark approval appeared on the older woman's face. "You managed to knock Fenway onto the terrace so I'll let it go this time. Now where's the other one?"

 

Kisa turned with her manager to focus on the track once more, watching as a forest green racecar weaved into their stall as well, skidding to a dramatic stop beside a laidback-looking man.

 

As she watched her best friend clamber out, helmet already off and messy brown hair falling into his eyes, the albino couldn't quite suppress the amusement welling up inside her as fans, mostly made up of girls, converged in the stands nearest the handsome racer, shoving and jostling with just as many male fans that made up her cheering section, screaming and waving signs with huge hearts drawn on them.

Ever since their two race teams had joined together, their fans had swelled in size, and both Kisa and Yamato found it hard-pressed to even step out onto the streets without mini handheld i-books shoved in their faces for autographs.

 

A sudden flurry of movement and panicked voices made all of them turn to an area in the stands farthest from their stall. Kisa felt her heart stutter as a gunshot rang out, sending the fans screaming and fleeing for the stadium's exit. Narrowing her eyes, she watched as several people in plain blue uniforms rushed toward the crowd, only to stop as several people in black uniforms opened fire on the civilians. Even from her distance, the albino could clearly see the bodies already slumped on the racetrack, and she flinched as she watched another body thud to the ground, clearly lifeless.

 

"The Black Fist,"

 

The quiet voice above her ear almost made her jump, and she turned sharply to look up at her best friend. There was a rare grimness in the usually playful expression that made Kisa frown.

 

"They were bound to appear sooner or later." Kisa replied, crimson eyes sober as she watched the police force hover uncertainly around the five mercenaries. While the police officers outnumbered the Black Fist members, the mercenaries still had hostages, so neither party was willing to move.

 

"Sa-chan," An arm wrapped around the albino's shoulder, urging her towards the stadium exit. "Let's get out of here while we still can."

 

Yamato glanced down at the albino, gently steering her to the door while still keeping an eye on the showdown across the stadium. He blinked in surprise when he was suddenly jerked down to the ground, but immediately understood when several bullets shot over their heads, slamming into the ground a few feet away. With a curse, he ushered the white-haired racer behind a metal truck meant for loading their cars and take them back to their garage.

 

"Where's Ayane-san and the others?"

 

Yamato glanced down at the urgent hushed tone of his fellow racer before motioning to the door. "They went on ahead. I told the assistant managers to get our agents out of here. They're not as fast as we are and if something happens, they're more likely to get hurt."

 

He glanced sideways at the twenty-one-year old, mouth quirking up again in a small amused smile.

 

Kisa scowled back, finally taking her helmet off and combing a hand through her short white hair. "What?"

 

Yamato's smile widened. "Nothing. I just forgot you could take of yourself."

 

Kisa rolled her eyes, chancing a peek around the side of the truck. "Well now you remember," She shot back bluntly. "So watch out for yourself next time."

 

Yamato chuckled. "I'll try to remember that. If not, you'll just have to save me again."

 

The albino sighed in exasperation.

 

"I'll be sure to do that," She promised good-naturedly. "Now how are we going to get out of here?"

 

Yamato's smile turned down as he reached into his racing uniform and pulled out a flat disc.

 

Kisa did a double take.

 

"Is that a bomb?" She hissed. "Those are illegal! Especially if you bring it here!"

 

The brown-haired racer shrugged.

 

"I figured that something like this would happen one of these days, so I came prepared." He peered sideways at the albino. "Besides, I'm not the one carrying a gun."

 

Kisa felt a flush of embarrassment rise and knew it was more than visible on her pale skin. "It's for protection." She muttered.

 

Yamato chuckled.

 

"Exactly. So is this." He cracked the disc and tossed it over the truck in one smooth movement. "Heads up. Or down, in this case."

 

Kisa ducked down and felt a thrum of affection when a familiar arm pulled her close once again so that she was mostly covered. The explosion a few seconds later shook the truck behind them and she found herself hoping both their racecars were safe.

 

"Come on." Yamato was suddenly pulling her to her feet, the smoke from the explosion curling around them. "Let's get out of here."

 

Kisa nodded and hurried after the older racer, only to falter and stop, looking back as another gunshot rang out. This time, instead of seeing smoke, something else flashed in front of her eyes.

 

"Sa-chan! What are you doing?"

 

The albino glanced back towards Yamato uncertainly before turning back again, and the image became clearer.

 

Hair like the sun. Black-rimmed glasses. Startlingly blue eyes. A face that hadn't quite lost all of its baby fat, making him look all the more childish.

She started.

 

It was the university student.

 

Blinking, the image seemed to blur before focusing again.

 

Glint of black. A gun. Pressed against…

 

"Sa-chan!"

 

Kisa jerked, blinking again and this time, the image disappeared and Yamato's face replaced it, hovering anxiously in front of her.

 

"What's wrong?" Yamato peered into his younger friend's dazed eyes. "Are you okay?"

Kisa nodded agitatedly before moving around her the brown-haired racer and pushing through the smoke towards the general area where her car was.

 

"Sa-chan! Stop! Just stop for a moment! What are you doing?" Yamato's hand caught hers and she was pulled back and spun around, firm hands on her shoulders holding her in place.

 

Kisa opened her mouth and began to babble. "The university student from earlier. He's in trouble! I saw! One of the mercenaries had him! They're dragging him away and the police aren't fast enough! I have to go help�""

 

"Kisa!"

 

The albino stopped, taking a deep breath as patient green eyes bored into her own.

 

Yamato searched the younger racer's face.

 

"You saw?" He finally asked, frowning down at her. "Through all that smoke?"

 

Kisa nodded, too worried to actually wonder exactly how she had seen. She tore away from Yamato's grip and ran towards her car. Relief flooded her as she realized the white racecar hadn't been damaged and, slipping her helmet back on, she swung herself into the vehicle, starting it once more.

 

She tapped a few keys and felt the racecar shift, changing into a wider and longer model that could now hold three other people. Without hesitation, she floored the accelerator and wheeled out onto the track, bursting out of the smoke at top speed and heading for the opposite side of the stadium where an exit wide enough for cars had been built.

 

"Has anyone ever told you that you're one of the biggest idiots on the face of the planet? And I must be an even bigger idiot for following you."

 

Kisa blinked in surprise before a wave of relief spread through her as she caught sight of a familiar green car inching its way up beside her.

 

"It was your own choice." She pointed out, not quite able to keep the smile out of her voice.

 

Yamato snorted, shifting gears as well to change his racecar into a four-seater. "Of course. Didn't you know? Idiots have to stick together. Although, you owe me more than dinner now."

 

Kisa laughed outright. "Alright, alright. I'll be sure to pay you back in full."

 

And the two sped off, racing over the terrace and out of the stadium after the mercenaries.

 

x.X.x

 

"Yamazaki!" Honjo barked in the comm link as he swerved his police car to avoid most of the gunfire raining down on them. "Go around and cover the left! Don't let them escape!"

 

"Yes, sir!" Came the prompt reply before a car in front of him broke away from the group and took a sharp left turn, wheels crunching rubble. The chase had taken them clear out of the city and, while that was a good thing for civilians, the chase was made harder with the rougher landscape they found themselves in.

 

Honjo gritted his teeth before switching to a private line. "Aizakawa, why didn't you say something? You had a clear view of that part of the stands! You could've warned the rest of us!"

 

There was a moment's silence before his newest charge's voice filtered over the line.

 

"You ordered me to watch my area, sir." Honjo could practically see the other's scorn manifesting itself in front of him. "I did my job like you asked me to. The stands where the mercenaries were trying to hide in were not in my area."

 

The captain forced himself to take a deep breath and count to ten twice before opening his mouth again.

 

"Next time," He said levelly. "Even if it's not in your area, report it regardless. We can prevent more deaths that way."

 

"Are you saying it was my fault for the deaths of the civilians today?" Shigure's voice was sharp and hard. "If you must place blame, blame yourself for insufficient orders."

Honjo snarled as the link was cut. It was only through years of discipline that he didn't just simply rip the doors of his vehicle open, storm over to the other officer, and strangle him through the window, powerful family be damned.

 

Preoccupied with this, he almost missed the flash of lightning weaving through a back alley. Swearing, he roared in the comm link, "All units take cover and then pull back! They've sent in their Resonators! This is out of our hands now!"

 

Without pausing, he dove out of his own car, rolling away and scrambling behind a thick but crumbling wall just in time as the lightning crashed into the middle of their vehicles. Grimacing, he pulled out an energy gun, quickly loading it with an electric capsule.

 

Having already given the order to retreat and hoping none of his squad had gotten too badly injured, Honjo peered around the wall before sprinting for the other side of the clearing. The mercenaries still had one civilian and there was no way he was retreating without him. Six civilians had fallen today; there was no way he would let a seventh die.

 

"Taichou!"

 

The low whisper made him whip his head around, meeting the slightly anxious gaze of his second-in-command. "I gave the order to retreat, Yamazaki!" He snapped. "Get outta here! The Black Fist sent their Resonators!"

 

Yamazaki set his jaw in his typical stubborn way and pulled back the safety on the high-voltage laser gun in his hands.

 

"Sorry sir. My place is with you. And besides, I don't think I can stand another second of being in the same vicinity as Mr. High-and-Mighty. I might kill him. You don't want me to kill him, do you Taichou? It's best if I stay with you."

 

Honjo could only sigh in exasperation. "Fine, but stay close. If you die, don't come back to haunt me for not warning you."

 

The second officer only grinned in response before following his captain as they both sprinted for the next cover. Both opened fire as they caught sight of familiar black uniforms, and then just as quickly threw themselves to the ground as another flash of lightning lashed above their heads.

 

"A lightning Resonance," Honjo muttered irritably. "Just great. Where's Valhalla when you actually need them?"

 

"Sir!" Yamazaki gestured ahead. "It's that civilian!"

 

Honjo turned, eyes zeroing in on a shock of blond hair in the midst of all that black, visibly being dragged towards a waiting car. With a curse, the captain started for the group.

 

"Sir," Yamazaki started quietly. "We're on the edge of the Ruins. The ground's unstable here."

 

Honjo only offered a curt nod in return but didn't stop, keeping his steps as light as physically possible. The Ruins was a large abandoned area that housed outlaws and criminals, and was so deteriorated that even parts of the ground itself was crumbling, the broken chunks only serving to create an even darker territory underground where rogue Resonators were rumored to live.

 

His eyes darted down as something shifted and gave about an inch under his boots. "Yamazaki," He voiced softly. "That's a long distance laser you have, right?"

 

Grim humor flickered across the second officer's face as he raised the weapon. "Yes, sir."

 

Honjo nodded again, narrowing his eyes and shouldering his own gun.

 

"Open fire."

 

The force of the recoil on the energy gun almost forced the captain back but he held his ground, ignoring the fact that he had sunk another few inches downward. He still wasn't used to these more advanced weapons but standard bullets just didn't cut it with the Resonators.

 

"Let's go!" He barked as both their attacks hit their targets. "Get the civilian and then get out. I'll cover you."

 

The two bounded forward, heading for the cloud of dust their weapons had kicked up.

 

x.X.x

 

Shigure glanced disdainfully at the complete wreckage surrounding him. Stepping easily around bodies and pieces of metal mixed with rubble, he headed back in the direction of his new headquarters.

 

"Hey, Aizakawa,"

 

Silver eyes peered disinterestedly to the side, taking in one of his new coworkers trying to lift another clearly unconscious officer, an ugly gash oozing blood from his forehead.

 

"I could use some help here." The officer's tone was tired but still good-naturedly polite.

 

'As if it's a given that I'll help him,' Shigure scoffed, disgust edging into his expression before he turned abruptly and continued on his way.

 

"The captain's orders were to pull back." He pointed out, voice monotonous. "If he can't follow them, leave him."

 

A long, tension-filled silence trailed after him as his words resounded around the small clearing, wind scattering his blunt words to the four corners. Without faltering or looking back when angry mutters reached his ears, Shigure kept moving, not even pausing when the officer spoke again.

 

"You're one hell of a heartless b*****d, ya know that?"

 

The man's voice was still light and civil, but the ease with which he had previously been spoken to was gone.

 

Not that he cared. If a person couldn't take care of themselves when they were actually supposed to, they deserved to be left behind.

 

A moment later, Shigure stopped, sure steps halting again as several men in dark uniforms slipped from the shadows of the crumbling buildings around them. One of them stepped forward, features cold and jaded, gun already at his side.

 

"For attending and allowing such an event to happen without reporting it to the Commission," The mercenary immediately began to intone. "You are all hereby arrested and will be taken in for further questioning. Any resistance will result in immediate death."

 

Shigure's eyes narrowed, scanning the five intruders before casting his gaze onto the officer he had been talking to. His coworker had finally lowered the unconscious man he had been trying to help and stepped up beside him.

 

"The Civilians' Defense Department answers directly to the Prime Minister." He voiced steadily, tone pleasant and a small smile to match etched on his features, as if they were simply having a casual conversation over tea. "The Commission doesn't have any say over what we do."

 

"The Commission is the Prime Minister's representative," The mercenary countered mechanically. "Anything we do is approved by the Prime Minister."

 

"I'll believe that when I hear it from my Captain." The officer replied, smile hardening.

 

The mercenary gave some semblance of a shrug. "So be it. Your name?"

 

"Hijikata Toshizo."

 

A nearby officer coughed, the sound coming out suspiciously like laughter.

The black-clad soldier's face turned a dull red before he snapped again, "What's your name?"

 

"… Himura Shunsuke."

 

The mercenary nodded, raising his gun. "Himura Shunsuke, we will take this as a form of resistance. By order of the Law Enforcement Commission, you will be�""

 

None of them ever knew exactly what Himura Shunsuke would be, and Shigure watched with a raised eyebrow as the mercenary dropped like a stone, having been subjected to a blinding high kick in the head.

 

"Sorry," The offending officer said mildly, lowering his leg. "I don't particularly feel like listening to anything you have to say."

 

The smile finally disappeared, a grim slash taking its place as brown eyes glittered above it, annoyance seeping through for all to see. "Besides, our department has always worked against the Commission. That's not going to change anytime soon."

In one practiced movement, the four remaining mercenaries raised their guns, preparing to fire, but Shunsuke was already tackling another one to the ground. Two other officers who weren't too badly injured threw themselves on another, bringing him down with sheer weight alone and wrestling with the lethal weapon clutched tightly in the mercenary's hands.

 

Shigure released an imperceptible sigh as the other two aimed their guns at him.

 

"You're in my way," He stared coolly at the mercenaries standing in front of him. "Move."

 

One of them sneered and fired, only to snarl when Shigure simply stepped to the side.

 

With an irritated frown, Shigure kicked at a crooked metal pole littering the ground, catching it as it flipped into the air.

 

One of the soldiers laughed. "Whatcha gonna do with that? We got guns, ya know."

Shigure weighed the pole in one hand before letting a smirk ripple across his features. In the blink of an eye, he darted forward, metal rod lashing out at a blinding speed and crashing against the back of one of the mercenaries' necks, effectively breaking it with a resounding 'snap'. The other mercenary didn't even manage to fire off a shot before he too was taken out, a blow to the side of his head sending him crashing into the side of a crumbling building.

 

Scoffing once more, the youngest of the Aizakawa family dropped the pole and started off for his destination once more, ignoring the mixture of shock and fear on his coworkers' faces.

 

The sudden, distant sound of engines made them switch their focus and even Shigure stopped once again, watching as two familiar cars entered the area.

 

x.X.x

 

Kisa sped towards the wreckage of metal and stone, slowing down as she caught sight of several people scattered about. Behind her, Yamato also slowed before coming to a stop.

 

Stepping out, Yamato removed his helmet and surveyed the damage. Leaning back into his car, he activated another structure change and his previous four-seater responded by extending the seating to eight, with a moderately large space in the back, enough for several people to lie down in. Straightening again, he offered a genial smile to the confused officers.

 

"We're here to help," He explained when nobody moved. "You can load the injured into the back and I'll take you to the hospital."

 

A murmur rushed through the officers assembled there before an officer stepped forward, carelessly trodding over a black-uniformed body as he extended a dusty hand.

 

"Himura Shunsuke, the officer-in-charge at the moment. Thanks for coming."

 

Yamato blinked, open amusement in the line of his mouth as he accepted the greeting without hesitation. "Akabane Yamato, racer, and technically took the bronze today though I never reached the podium. Wasn't my idea to come. Hers."

 

The racer waved a hand in the direction of the black-and-white car parked several feet away and Shunsuke turned his focus on the world's top racer as a helmeted head peered out of the driver's window.

 

Kisa flipped up the visor of her helmet, acknowledging the officer-in-charge with a nod before scanning the crowd.

 

"Has anyone seen a blond civilian around?" She called out. "He should have a Sasaki University uniform on."

 

Shunsuke nodded. "Our captain and vice-captain are going after him now. They should be at the edges of the Ruins." Guessing the racer's intention, he hastily added, "You can leave it to them. He's in capable hands."

 

But the albino only offered a grateful smile in return before turning to her fellow racer.

 

"Yama," Kisa called out, leaning further out of her window. "I'm going ahead. My car's lighter so I'll fare better in the Ruins than you would."

 

Yamato frowned before nodding reluctantly. "Alright, but take care. I'll meet up with you later. Don't go dying on me. You still owe me dinner."

 

Kisa nodded one last time with a small grin before ducking back inside her car, only to pause as an icy voice interrupted her actions.

 

"Direct interference by civilians is against the law."

 

Kisa felt irritation tugging at her, itching to be heard as she snapped back without missing a beat, "Then you can arrest me after I make sure the university kid is alright."

 

She turned, and burning crimson clashed with biting silver. The albino scoffed as she took in the relatively clean uniform, unstained by the grime and dust and blood of those that had been injured, as well as the way the black-haired officer stood quite a ways apart from his coworkers.

 

"You're right, you know," She told him softly, gaze unwavering. "Rules, real rules, are made to protect people, and those who break them should be punished. But sometimes, those same rules are meant to be broken, even if punishment is the result. Besides," Her eyes narrowed. "Those who leave behind comrades in favor of following rules are even worse."

 

Her gaze tilted up again, observing the flinty, shadowed silver eyes that stared back at her, void of any thoughts or emotions. Finally turning fully around, the racer adjusted her helmet, throwing behind her one last parting comment that had struck her the moment she had laid eyes on the man.

 

"You have really boring eyes."

 

With that said, Kisa eased the accelerator down, and headed for the Ruins, concentration now fully on the task at hand.

 

x.X.x

 

A chuckle broke the silence the top racer had left behind. Curious eyes turned to Shunsuke who offered a smile in the remaining racer's direction.

 

"I like her." He offered cheerfully, glancing at the still figure of his newest colleague. "'Boring eyes.' Couldn't have phrased it better myself."

 

Yamato smiled as he headed for one of the officers propped up against a crumbling wall, leg twisted at a painfully odd angle.

 

"She has that effect on people."

 

Further away, Shigure only narrowed his eyes further before turning on his heel and continuing towards the city. He couldn't care less what the white-haired racer had to say. She obviously had no idea what she was talking about.

 

After all, she was only a civilian, and far beneath him in station. And knowing his new captain's character, he doubted the woman would be arrested. He wouldn't see her again anyway.



© 2011 cywsaphyre


Author's Note

cywsaphyre
Please leave a comment!



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

0 Views
Added on November 12, 2011
Last Updated on November 12, 2011
Tags: Friendship, Drama, Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Manga


Author

cywsaphyre
cywsaphyre

Canada



About
Love writing fiction! more..

Writing
First Meeting First Meeting

A Chapter by cywsaphyre