Habits

Habits

A Poem by Ben Taylor

Dirtied by the dust
Of despair
The sunlight of
Her plumage
Is muted
The incessant
Ping
Ping
Of the miner's
Ping
Dissatisfaction
Reverberates along
The bars
Of her prison
Ping
The rugged flow
Of this inky
Revenue
Is studied
Uncomprehendingly
By the sacrifice
Ping
Her obsidian sharp
Eyes
Gaze upon the
Ping
Of pickaxes
Of bloody blisters
Broken
For the sake of a
Ping
Family
Every
Ping
Is profit
Food
Life
Ping
The canary
Scarcely illuminated by
The flickering
Ping
Takes a rapid breath
Ping
Ping
Methane
Ping
She gratefully falls
From her perch
But her warning
Ping
Goes unheeded
Ping
Ping
The allure of wealth
Ping
Insatiable
Ping
Ping
Ping
........

© 2011 Ben Taylor


Author's Note

Ben Taylor
This is obviously a canary in a coal mine; it is also a metaphor. People focus all their energies on obtaining money, and often ignore all else, which leads to a wasted life.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Clever analogy... they take the canary down there as a precaution, then don't heed the warning when it dies... like managers that turn a blind eye to dangerous working conditions to ensure their profit. Though possibly coal-miners themselves (in our country at least) don't make the best metaphor for people out to make a profit... as it's more likely bank executives and property tycoons (though i can't think of good metaphor for them right now, but i'm sure there are some good ones like... ping ping... sorry, did you miss that? lot of noise here... ping ping)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love the idea of a bird trying to warn miners as they continue to work without alarm..definitely shows how greedy our society is. Loved the "ping" such a great noise word. Wonderful poem, Ben!

Posted 13 Years Ago


A wonderful poem, complete with sight and sound effects.
As art, it reverberates.
Yet another superior offering, Mr. Taylor.

Posted 13 Years Ago


The repetition of "ping" makes the poem audible...and also adds the dimension
of consistency that one feels when a habit will not let its owner rest..the desire to act out is an imperative at times...like a thought that reoccurs in a persistent manner...all this is in this poem


Posted 13 Years Ago


I like this my friend.

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow. Deep. I love this. It has a nice flow. I usually don't like one word lines but this is good. I like it. :D

Posted 13 Years Ago


Clever analogy... they take the canary down there as a precaution, then don't heed the warning when it dies... like managers that turn a blind eye to dangerous working conditions to ensure their profit. Though possibly coal-miners themselves (in our country at least) don't make the best metaphor for people out to make a profit... as it's more likely bank executives and property tycoons (though i can't think of good metaphor for them right now, but i'm sure there are some good ones like... ping ping... sorry, did you miss that? lot of noise here... ping ping)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow! This is excellent. But, I would interpret it differently I'm afraid. Having had some family work in the coal mines, I never knew one who would have done it if not for their family or their families needs. They sought only a living for their family, and decadence and wealth was far beyond their abilities to conceive of. So, due to my experiences, I see this in a different light. And, I find it beautiful and well done. The hammer tapping throughout is exquisitely done. Thank you for sharing Ben.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like this. It is very visual, I could sense myself being in that mine.

Posted 13 Years Ago


reading into this, this is an excellent poem! at first i was really impressed because i was wondering why you weren't using punctuation, but then soon it seemed "ping" because punctuation itself. then about 3/4 of the way through that kind of just fell apart. this was great, but when the "ping" started interrupting sentences and being the cause for the breaks in the lines it got a little confusing. you can't help but hear the noise when you read it and when it's in the middle of the sentence it makes you stutter. now, i know that's an excellent example of what you're sort of trying to get across here, but for me it just seemed like it could be moved around a bit or lighten up on. good write :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

369 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 30, 2011
Last Updated on March 30, 2011
Tags: decadence, mines, work

Author

Ben Taylor
Ben Taylor

Columbia, MO



About
Almost everything I write now is relatively real, so just read what I write and get to know me. more..

Writing
Stretched Stretched

A Poem by Ben Taylor



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Inspired Inspired

A Poem by Murtuza