The Rescue

The Rescue

A Poem by Phillip Francis

I decided to take a long walk. The day was perfect. Blue skies as far as the eye can see, a cool breeze breaking up the early summer heat, and the smell of blooming flowers dancing gracefully in the air. I missed most of it, chained to a desk, a prison of cubicle walls, relentlessly degraded; the time finally arrived to unravel the unwieldy stress that had accumulated throughout my internment.  
I replay the earlier events from the day and envision my frustration. It's grown to uncontrollable proportions that festers mayhem in my soul.......My spirit is under attack. 
It begins with verbal confrontations that quickly escalate to small arms fire on my self confidence. Negativity is rioting in my veins. Aerial assaults bombard my perception making it nearly impossible to see the light. Conflicted. Unaware. Bewildered........I am at war. 
Quickly, I call for reinforcements from mother earth. She combats the aggressive army destructing my self confidence with and audio attack. The quick chirps of playful chickadees, soothing noise of a nearby babbling brook, and the sedative sounds of bristling leaves flirting with the wind, rejuvenates my poise. She counter attacks the negativity with a small family of rabbits who had decided to stop for an early supper and uses the sun to clear the smoke clearing my perception, which provides a guiding light. 
Just like that....it's over and I am at peace. 
The sun continues to rain down from the heavens, gently roasting my skin with its affable rays, providing warmth and comfort. Shoeless, I parade through the grass, kissing the earth with each step, attracting the energy of the essence that besieges me. I drink it all in as it casually quenches my thirst for tranquility.
Grounded, peaceful, and clear. 
Confident, positive, and calm.  
Her womb is my sanctuary, and I am content to be here for the rest of the day. 

© 2016 Phillip Francis


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this bit of prose, although I would watch the tense changes in the first paragraph

Posted 7 Years Ago


Phillip Francis

7 Years Ago

Appreciate the feedback.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

117 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 2, 2016
Last Updated on June 4, 2016