Happiness

Happiness

A Poem by Phillip Francis

A nation overwhelming in power, topping in prosperity, swimming in equity,


We are miserable.


Walking the streets, my ears can't help but capture complaint after complaint after complaint.


Drowning in self pity, eyes filled with tears, crying out to anyone who will listen, the sounds of an infant, coming from adult mouths.


My boss asks too much, my kid should be playing more, my wife doesn't listen, my husband doesn't help, my dog won't stop pissing on the new rug, my parents can't seem to leave me alone.


I bought a new house, but now I have to pay taxes, I got a new car, but the insurance is too high, Johnny got straight A's, but I can't get him off his a*s, Suzie's in the band, but I can't stand all her practicing.


Self loathing is the topic of conversation.


I empathize for those with real problems, struggling to put food on their tables, convicted for being the wrong color, fighting addiction, clawing at the bottom to survive as they are systematically squeezed out for the so called greater good.They own the rights to grumbling, but are often silenced by force or simply don't have the time to waste.


They are our neighbors, our friends, and our family.


I dream of a day we are able to step outside ourselves, burst through the bubble we have trapped ourselves in, stop hiding behind computers, misconstrued by the propaganda of click bait sharing our hearts and minds with love and understanding.


We will never see eye to eye, but I hope to witness a birth of mutual respect for all. At the end if the day, we all want the same thing.


Happiness.

© 2016 Phillip Francis


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

i have a friend that moved here from Africa...
she says we have everything here,
but we are so lonely.
a lonely people.

so we b***h and complain-
because of the holes we've created.

Posted 7 Years Ago


happiness is what we make of it....those who mourn how life is so miserable don't look on the other side of the fence where it is much worse...and people really have something to complain about...and most of those just do the best they can, without complaint...

if we all help each other and quit drowning in our own tears...everyone can benefit.

j.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Interesting piece. Nowadays people are obsessed with so-called happiness. No one talks about joy.

Great poetry.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Phillip Francis

7 Years Ago

Thank you for taking the time to read my work and comment. Much appreciated.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
3 Reviews
Added on August 12, 2016
Last Updated on August 12, 2016