Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Ashton
"

What will become of Briar when her powers cause a terrible accident?

"

I was often called Beauty. I hated the nickname. It stood for everything I was and everything I didn't want to be. Yes, I was beautiful but no one ever looked beyond my pretty face. No one cared that there was a soul behind my big violet eyes. No one cared that my sensual lips could speak. No one cared that beneath my outer beauty lay an inner monster. But I knew. I alone knew of the temper that lay dormant within. I alone knew what my long, slender fingers were capable of. That was why we had moved to Arumead in the first place. Arumead was a land where people dismissed the extraordinary as simple fairy magic. Where when people vanished they were simply deemed stolen by trolls. When people were miraculously healed it was just a bit of fairy blood in their bloodline. Arumead was where magical people went to disappear. Arumead was where I had been brought to disappear.


The truth is, my journey began before I ever met Requiem. It began even before I had come to Arumead. It began before I was born, but I did not know that until later. I was born into a prominent family in Hinterland. My father was a powerful merchant and my mother was distant kin to the royal family. To say that I was born into wealth and power would be an understatement. We were as close to being royalty as you could get without actually being royal. I don't remember my mother. She died when I was very young. I was raised by many nannies and my two older sisters and I was spoilt rotten. I had everything a child could want but I was not satisfied. I didn't want fancy toys and frills. I simply wanted to be outside. I loved the garden and spent as much time there as I could. I climbed the trees, I splashed in the stream, I caught all manner of small animals and drove my caretakers up the walls. It wasn't that I was disobedient, I was simply very lively. My father was content just so long as I did not make a public spectacle. I understood from a very young age that I was to behave like a lady in public and I quickly mastered the art of acting as such. I curtsied and danced and spoke with the best of them and no one knew that away from the public eye, I was as wild as a street urchin.


As I grew older it soon became apparent that I would surpass my sisters in beauty. Thorne and Thistle were both very sought after for their beauty, but even at a young age I rivaled them. As soon as they realized this tension grew between us. I was no longer their cute little sister, I was competition. I understood that my beauty was the cause of the malice that my sisters, especially Thistle, felt and I was saddened by that. The more that people spoke of my beauty, the more that I hated it. The prettier I became the less people would actually converse with me. The less they would take interest in anything other than my appearance. I began to resent the parties and balls that were held and that I was expected to go to, but there was nothing that I could do about it. By the age of fifteen I no longer wanted to be beautiful. By the age of fifteen I was angry and bitter at the world for trying to turn me into a perfect china doll.


Things began to get strange shortly around that time. People I was angry at became sick, turned up dead, or simply went missing. It rained when I was sad without fail. Anything I touched when I was happy flourished, anything I touched in anger died. No one saw the connection until my sixteenth birthday party. I was sulking around in a frilly dress that my sisters had forced me to wear. The weather matched my irritated mood. It wasn’t raining, but the weather wasn’t pleasant either. I sat in a chair and looked pretty, as was expected of me, as people came and wished me well. Eventually, people became caught up in the thrill of the party and I was free to slip away. I snuck out to the garden, away from the raucous noise and frivolous bustle of the crowd. It wasn’t long before I heard someone behind me. A distant cousin, Cornelia had followed me outside. She was a spiteful girl, who everyone said possibly rivaled even my beauty. I ignored her. “What’s wrong Briar? Aren’t you enjoying the party?” Her voice was soft, gentle even.


I looked over at her and decided I would humor her. “Not really. I’ve never much cared for large social events.”


“Why ever not?” She cooed.


“I hate having to act like someone I’m not. I hate the fact that no one sees past my pretty face. No one even really talks to me. I just sit in a corner and look like a deaf, dumb china doll.” 


She laughed. It was a light, tinkling sound, like shattered glass. “Briar, that is the life of a noblewoman! But of course no one will take you seriously if you keep letting your sisters dress you in those hand-me-downs.”


I ignored the jibe and stared out into the garden. It was just like Cornelia to try and provoke me. “Or perhaps you don’t want to be taken seriously? Because if others took you seriously then you would have to take yourself seriously.”


“And why would I not take myself seriously Cornelia?” I glanced over into her cherub’s face. Her pouty lips were twisted into a smirk.


“Because it would mean that you would have to quit running around like a street urchin. It would mean that you would have to be a respectable young woman. As it is you’re a joke. You, my dear cousin, are the family joke. Some even question whether you have the same mother as Thorne and Thistle what with them growing up to be proper ladies after all.”


I didn’t even stay to listen to the rest. I knew that if I did I would probably end up doing something stupid. I walked back to the party and sat in a chair in the corner. I knew that some people suspected the things that Cornelia had said, but I ignored it all as much as possible. Even though my sisters and I were all beautiful, I looked nothing like them. They both had straight, blond hair and blue eyes, just like our mother and father had. I had dark, near black, curly hair and violet colored eyes. I was shorter than everyone in my family as well. Still, my father had never even so much as hinted to my being illegitimate. He treated me the same as he treated my sisters. He didn’t pay much attention to any of us. 


Cornelia made her way back inside. She perched herself on the chair next to mine. I started to get up, but she spoke before I could move. “Some say your mother was a w***e. I think I agree with them.” I stood up to walk away. Cornelia stood up and followed me. “I think the reason you have such a problem with being a proper lady is that you’re not suited for anything but harlotry yourself.”

I couldn’t take it. The insult against my mother had broken the restraint I had been showing. I turned to face her. “Don’t you ever insult me or my mother again.” 


She leaned in close to my face, “You and your mother, are nothing but w****s.” 

I slapped her. I slapped her hard. Her eyes went wide as she raised her hand to her face. She touched the red welt on her cheek and gasped. She began to tremble. A small black dot formed in the center of the red mark. The black began to spread, streaking across her cheek. And then, she crumpled to the floor. I began to back away. Someone screamed. Overhead lightning cracked and it began to rain. My father shoved his way through the crowd to where Cornelia lay. “What happened!” He shouted. Everyone went silent. He turned to me, “What happened?”


“I- I... She insulted mother. I slapped her.” I stammered. 


He turned Cornelia over and saw the black mark that was still spreading. He looked up at me with fear and confusion. “What happened?” His voice was a near whisper. That whisper spread through the crowd. 

But the only whisper I heard was several people saying, “She’s a witch!”

I ran out to the garden where there were no people. No one bothered to follow me. Everyone thought I was a witch. They thought I’d killed Cornelia on purpose. I curled myself up behind a rose bush and buried my face in the skirt, not caring that my tears would stain my dress. I didn’t want to know what they would do to me. People supposed of witchcraft were burned at the stake by the government. People who weren’t turned in usually suffered worse fates at the hands of others.  


Eventually everyone left, taking Cornelia’s body with them. My sister Thorne came out to the garden to find me. “Briar?” She heard me choke back a sob and slipped behind the rose bush to find me. She sat next to me.

“I- I didn’t mean to...” I began to stammer but Thorne hushed me.


“Shhh. It’ll be ok. We’ll get this worked out.” She put her arm around me.


“Everyone thinks I’m a witch.” 


“I know you’re not. I was there when you were born. I know that, just like me and Thistle, there is no magic in your blood.” She stroked my hair.


“Then what happened? What did I do to Cornelia?” I turned my face to her shoulder. She was the kinder of my sisters.


“I don’t know. But it wasn’t magic and that’s that.”


“Is Thistle...” I didn’t bother finishing my question.


“She is irate. I’m not sure what she thinks. But she’s not very happy. Father made everyone leave and locked himself in his study.”


We were silent for a bit. Thorne just sat there and held me. Eventually, she rose, pulling me up with her. She led me to my room and helped me to bed. “Don’t worry, will figure this all out in the morning.” She leaned over and kissed my forehead and left the room.


I barely slept that night. My dreams were haunted by Cornelia’s face. The black spread across it like a spiderweb, dark and eerie. It didn’t matter what Thorne said. I knew it was magic. And I knew what happened to people when magic ran through their veins.


I woke in the morning to see Thorne burst into my room. She pulled me out of bed. “Briar, there are soldiers downstairs. We’ve been summoned to the palace.”


There was a sinking feeling in my stomach as I dressed and followed Thorne down the stairs. I knew what was coming. The king would demand that I be handed over to be burned, or worse. 


The soldiers were silent as they escorted us to the carriage that had been sent for us. And there was silence inside the carriage on the way to the palace. Thorne sat next to me. My hand in hers was the only comfort that could be afforded. Thistle sat across from me, glaring, hating me for bringing this upon our family. My father simply stared out the window, blank and unreadable as he watched the city pass as we went by. When we reached the palace, everyone was silent as we were escorted to see the king.


We were not taken to the throne room. We were instead escorted to a small sitting room inside the king’s chambers.  A young servant girl brought us tea while we waited. It wasn’t long before the king himself entered the room and settled into a chair across from my father. “Cassius, tell me why you are here.” The king had a deep voice with a gentle tone. I studied his face as my father recounted what had happened at the party. His blue eyes were tired as he listened. When my father was done, the king rose and began to pace around the room. “I see. And there is no magic in your blood, as far as you know?”


“No sir.” My father’s head was bowed, although out of respect or shame I could not tell.


“And on your wife’s side?” 


“No sir, none.” 


The king nodded. “The people, some of them are your relatives, are calling for your daughter’s head on a plate. Not only that, some are calling for the death of your whole family.” He looked at me with gentleness in his eyes. “However, since you are rather well known and liked by the majority of the kingdom, your will keep your lives. However, you must not remain in the city. It is not safe here for you or your family. I will arrange your passage to Arumead.”


My father began to protest, “Arumead? But sire! Arumead is a wild country, a magic country. You spare our lives here, but send us to our deaths there!”


“Nonsense Cassius. Arumead may be a little backwards, but they thrive. Most people who have been there say is it a beautiful country. And it is not a matter of choice. You are all being banished. You must go to Arumead, or face the death that awaits you here. This was the best I could do. Many of the council members are the ones who are calling for your deaths. This was the best compromise we could reach.”


My father went white. “When do we leave?”


“Three days. Pack what you must, but no more. You will travel with a caravan. I have arranged a place for you to stay once you get there.” The king sat back down and rubbed his forehead. “I’m so sorry it’s come to this.”


My father simply nodded, “I am too.” He rose, my sisters and I followed suite. We were escorted from the palace and taken home.


As soon as we were home, I fled to my room. I knew that what was to follow would not pan out well for me. Thistle followed me inside, screaming at me, blaming me, ready to kill me with her bare hands. Thorne followed her, trying to reason with her and calm her down. When Thistle wasn’t happy, none of us could be happy. Father followed us all silently. He was in shock. Leaving the city meant leaving his business. It meant leaving everything he had ever worked for. 


I slipped into my room, leaving Thistle screaming at the door. I slid the lock into place and sighed. I could hear her shrill shrieking though the door. I glanced around my luxurious room, seeking a place where I could find solace from the noise. I walked out onto my balcony and looked out over the garden. But there was no peace here either. Thistle’s voice no longer rang in my ears, but Cornelia’s face haunted my mind. I gathered my wits and retreated inside.


Thistle had stopped screaming. Perhaps Thorne had calmed her down. Perhaps she had become tired. Whatever the case, I was grateful for the silence. I unlocked my door and then lay on my bed. I was tired. It wasn’t physical tiredness, I was mentally, spiritually, exhausted. I don’t know how long I lay there, but eventually Thorne came in and sat on the edge of the bed. “We all need to start packing.” She smoothed my hair away from my face. Thorne, sweet Thorne had taken over as a mother figure in my life after mother had died. She took care of us all, making sure that things ran smoothly. 


I sat up, “How is everyone?”


“Don’t you worry about them. They’ll be fine. Worry about you. You need to decide what you’re taking with you and what you’re leaving here. We have to pack rather light.”


I nodded. “What will happen to the things we leave behind?”


“They’ll be auctioned off and the money will be sent to us. So will the house and all of father’s assets. We won’t be poor off.” 


I pulled myself off of the bed. “Ok. I’ll gather the things I want to take.”


She nodded and rose from the bed. “I’m going to go make sure that Thistle stays calm.” She came and hugged me, “It’ll all be alright.” 


I hugged her back. “Go keep Thistle from killing us all. I’ll be fine.”


She chuckled and walked to the door. “I’ll be back in a little while to check on you.”


I nodded and shooed her out the door.


It didn’t take me long to gather the thing I wanted to take. I knew that I wouldn’t need to take all my fancy dresses or baubles. They would better serve me if they were sold. I laid out a few simple dresses on my bed. I didn’t take any of the jewelry that I owned. The only necklace I wanted was the one I already wore. It was a simple locket that had been my mothers. Other than that and a few simple necessities, I packed nothing more. I needed nothing more.


Thorne came back later and looked over what I was taking. “Is this all?”


I nodded.


“Are you sure? None of you party dresses? No jewelry?”


“No. I don’t think we’ll be needing those in Arumead. They’ll better serve us if they are sold and we get the money.”


Thorne chuckled, “You’ve got a good head on you Briar. You’re right, we probably won’t need those things. Just lay what you’re taking over a chair or something. One of the servants will be up to pack them later.”


“Ok. You should go get your things together too Thorne.”


“You’re right, I should.” She turned and left the room. 

Even though it was still early, I went to bed. I didn’t want to face my haunted thoughts anymore. But my dreams were just as haunted.


The next two days were just the same. Thistle refused to speak to me and Father walked around like a dead man. Only Thorne held us together. She stood strong, giving orders to the servants, making sure things were packed as they needed. She made sure things were priced fairly for the auction and placed one of the servants in charge of writing down everything that sold and the price it sold for. When the money arrived in Arumead, the list would come with it and she could make sure all the money was there.


I kept to my rooms for the most part. I didn’t want to see Thistle’s scowling face or father’s blank eyes. Thorne made sure that I ate. I felt hollow and empty. I didn’t think about Cornelia. I didn’t think about what I had done or where we were going. I couldn’t think about those things or I would go crazy. It rained every day. Thorne would come to my rooms to find me standing on the balcony in the pouring rain. She would lead me back into the room and fuss at me. 


Those two days were the longest days of my life. There was nothing for me to do. My troubled state of mind did not help. But eventually they passed. On the third day the soldiers came for us. They loaded all of our things into a wagon that had been provided by the king. There was no carriage for us this time. We had to sit on the wagon along with our things. The soldiers escorted us to the caravan. They would leave us only once we were out of the city.



© 2009 Ashton


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked this a lot. You've got a great penchant for story telling. Keep it up.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

384 Views
1 Review
Added on December 23, 2009
Last Updated on December 23, 2009
Tags: Monster, Chapter 1


Author

Ashton
Ashton

Charlotte, NC



About
I've always loved to write. Ever since third grade when I decided that I wanted to be an author. I'm hoping that I'll be published one day... I'm working on getting there. I've been rewriting a bunch .. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Ashton


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Ashton